Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 General Skepticism
 2008 Psychic Contest, enter by Feb 1st 2008!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  08:29:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well we could always do a second contest for REAL psychics,

1. Which genereal direction is the nearest ghost to your person?

2. Did something 'bad' happen here?

3. Which natural disasters did you feel coming last year, but were to distraught to menton or record?

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  08:57:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Well we could always do a second contest for REAL psychics,

1. Which genereal direction is the nearest ghost to your person?

2. Did something 'bad' happen here?

3. Which natural disasters did you feel coming last year, but were to distraught to menton or record?
Oooh, an easy one.

1. North and getting close
It's name is Democracy
Soon it all will end

2. Very bad indeed
We lost verlch and Jerome
And much amusement

3. So many to chose
What's a poor psyhic to do?
I saw every one

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 01/09/2008 08:58:27
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  15:41:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an article about Pat Robertson's predictions for 2008.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

just_some_guy

19 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  11:32:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send just_some_guy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1)Strongest Earthquake Epicenter (city or coordinates)
Epicenter)New Madrid, Missouri, USA
Actual Strength) 7.7

2)Strongest Atlantic Hurricane
Storm with lowest pressure) Hanna
Most Damage to US) Kyle
# of hits to US) 2
3)Price Of A Barrel Of Oil $113.09-

4)Five Famous Soon To Be Dead People
A) Brittney Spears
B) William Shatner
C) Sean Connery
D) Willy Nelson
E) Barbara Bush

5)Top Movie Of 2008
Movie Name) The Dark Knight
Total WW Gro$$) 1.2 billion US

6)Three Stocks Of Worth
A) Toyota
B) Disney
C) Coca-Cola

7)US Dollar vs. Euro Conversion Rate
- US 1.00 = .83 Euro

8)Deadliest Terror Attack
Location) Sydney, Australia
# of Deaths) 300
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  11:52:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guilt trip works every time! Good luck...Guy.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  12:33:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Edit: Predictions in Progress

Epicenter)
Actual Strength)

2)Strongest Atlantic Hurricane
Storm with lowest pressure: Fay
Most Damage to US:
# of hits to US:

3)Price Of A Barrel Of Oil $1.13

4)Five Famous Soon To Be Dead People
A)
B)
C)
D)
E)

5)Top Movie Of 2008

Movie Name)
Total WW Gro$$)

6)Three Stocks Of Worth

A)
B)
C)

7)US Dollar vs. Euro Conversion Rate

8)Deadliest Terror Attack

Location)
# of Deaths)
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 01/24/2008 12:48:46
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  13:08:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cuni, you might want to check your decimal point in the Oil price, or mabye you know something I dont about cold fusion.

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  13:17:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its a good thing you couldnt lock in these prices when you did Dude as all three are significantly lower than when you posted...More room to go up.

6)Three Stocks Of Worth
A)Kyocera, (KYO on the NYSE) (87.79 as of 12-25-2007) (bonus points for ? The rise will be due to solar panel tech breakthrough)
B)GE (General Electric) (37.53 as of 12-25-2007)
C)Siemens (157.50 as of 12-25-2007)

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  15:23:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Cuni, you might want to check your decimal point in the Oil price, or mabye you know something I dont about cold fusion.
Ha! Yeah, I actually know that the Moon is filled with oil. We're building a pipeline starting in March...
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  11:10:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last chance for the psychic contest, Since editing has been turned off if anyone wants to change any answers just make a new post before tomorrow and Ill accept the new info and send all the participants an official scorecard tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  14:40:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the United States, BPS, January has 31 days.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  15:07:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to get in one last bonus prediction. I've had a vision. Obama will win the Democratic nomination and go on to become our next President of the United States. Go ahead and chisel that one in stone.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  15:38:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

I just wanted to get in one last bonus prediction. I've had a vision. Obama will win the Democratic nomination and go on to become our next President of the United States. Go ahead and chisel that one in stone.
Senator Obama will probably win the Democratic nomination, but Senator McCain will take the Republican ticket and go on to win the presidency.

I have spoken, so shall it be.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  06:47:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Official Scorecard for 2008
All results and answers apply to the period starting Feb 1st 2008, through Dec 31 2008, all answers should be given in USD$.

-No answer may be generalized or given a range, saying the oil price will be between 81 and 82 dollars or saying it will either be 81.78 or 87.81 will disqualify your answer. Cryptic answers and quatrains will also be disqualified.

1.Predict the epicenter of the strongest earthquake according to the Richter scale, provide a city name or map coordinates; general areas and countries are not valid answers. 10 points for a correct prediction within 100km of the actual result, -1 point for each 100km further from the epicenter. 0 points if the result is between 1000km and 2000km from the actual result, –3 points if your answer is more than 2000km from the actual result. 2 Points for prdicting the exact strength to the tenth on the Richter

2.Predict the strongest hurricane of the 2008 Atlantic hurricane season (Through Jan 1 2009),
-A)Predict the name of the storm with the strongest pressure in millibars. 3 points, Arthur, Bertha, Cristobal, Dolly, Edouard, Fay, Gustav, Hanna, Ike, Josephine, Kyle, Laura, Marco, Nana, Omar, Paloma, Rene, Sally, Teddy, Vicky, Wilfred, Alpha, Beta…
-B)Predict the ATLANTIC storm which will do the most damage in USD$ cost, to the United States, according to NOAA. 3 Points
-C)Predict the number of named Atlantic storms which will impact the US shores with at least hurricane strength. 1 points
-Miss all three answers –2 points

3.Predict the price of a barrel of oil (WTI price) at the New Year 2009. 10 points if within 50 cents of actual, 5 points if within 4$ of actual, 1 point if within 10$ of actual. –2 points if you are off by 15$ or more.

4.List five famous people who will die between Feb 1st and Jan 1st, 2 points for each correct, +10 points for all five correct and –3 points for none correct. As always murdering of your deadpool listees will result in disqualification and imprisonment.

5.Predict the movie which will lead the Worldwide Box office in 2008(IMDB.com) and its take in USD$, 3 points for naming the movie, 5 points for getting the take within 5 million, 3 points for getting the take within 25 million, 1 point for getting the take within 75 million. –2 point if the take is more than 250 million from your prediction. You do not need to get the name correct to get points for predicting the take.
http://www.movieweb.com/movies/releases/year.php?2008 here is a list of the movies

6.Name 3 company stocks which will increase in value from Feb 1 through the close of the last day of trading in 2008. The total % of increase of the combined stocks divided by 15, rounded down will be the # of points received. STOCKS WHICH SPLIT, REVERSE SPLIT, MERGE, BANKRUPT OR BREAK UP IN TO SMALLER COMPANIES WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. Please pick larger companies, small ones are a pain in my ass.

7. Predict the value of the USD$ in relation to the Euro rounded to the nearest US cent as of Jan 1 2009, 10 points if within 1%, 4 points if within 4%, 1 point if within 10%. -2 points if not within 20%.

8. Predict the exact number of people who will be killed in the deadliest terror attack OUTSIDE IRAQ (feb1-Jan1), and the city it takes place in/nearest, attacks by traditional millitary forces will not count, though school shootings and the like are valid. 10 points for exactly correct, 3 points if within 10% of actual. 4 points for naming the city.
-----------
BigPapaSmurf
Epicenter) Istanbul
Actual Strength) 8.2
Robb
Epicenter) Cascadia Subduction Fault 47 Lat, 126 Long
Actual Strength) 7.9
Pleco
Epicenter) 80 miles west of the city of Medan in Sumatra
Actual Strength) 8.0
Dude
Epicenter) Tokyo
Actual Strength) 7.5
Filthy
Epicenter) Tokyo
Actual Strength) 7.

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  06:51:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Robb
Movie Name)Wonder Woman
Total WW Gro$$) The price of an invisible plane. (INVALID ANSWER)

Big papa, I want to appeal your determination that the price of an invisible plane is an invalid answer. Here is the cost:

http://www.seorf.ohiou.edu/~af641/

The cost of a single bomber is $2 billion dollars.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.