Social Issues
 Jamie Lynn Spears is "taking responsibility."
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emsby
Skeptic Friend

76 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  11:43:38  Show Profile Send emsby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's play a game. What's wrong with this statement by Nickelodeon upon learning that their adolescent star Jamie Lynn Spears is pregnant?

"We respect Jamie Lynn's decision to take responsibility in this sensitive and personal situation. We know this is a very difficult time for her and her family, and our primary concern right now is for Jamie Lynn's well being."

Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  11:49:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Umm... Adolescent pregnancy is certainly a problem, but who is Jamie Lynn Spears?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

emsby
Skeptic Friend

76 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  11:52:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send emsby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Umm... Adolescent pregnancy is certainly a problem, but who is Jamie Lynn Spears?

Jamie Lynn Spears is none other than Britney Spears' 16 year-old little sister. And she's keeping the baby. Hence the comment about "taking responsibility."

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  12:05:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just remember, opposition to abortion has nothing to do with the idea that it allows women to
"avoid responsibility." Zero. Nada. None.

I'm sure Nickelodeon merely misspoke.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  13:29:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by emsby

Originally posted by filthy

Jamie Lynn Spears is none other than Britney Spears' 16 year-old little sister. And she's keeping the baby. Hence the comment about "taking responsibility."
Ok, she's a minor, minor celebrity of sorts, then. I wonder if she's had Abstinence Only in Sex Ed. class. If so, it didn't seem to have, heh, penetrated.

I also wonder if the anti-abortion whiners will begin to make a poster girl out of her, thereby really wreaking her life.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  15:12:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 12/28/2007 15:13:20
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  15:15:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Getting paid $1mil for the story sounds like taking responsibility to me

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  03:13:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

Getting paid $1mil for the story sounds like taking responsibility to me
I am trying to decide which is the more fucked up: the Spears family or OK! magazine.
- Actress Jamie Lynn Spears and her mother, Lynne, were paid about $1 million by OK! magazine for the exclusive story on her pregnancy, with options to purchase additional material, including first pictures of the baby. "Lynne knew OK! would pay the most," says a source. "It was her decision" - US
I mean, do people actually read this sort of crap? They must, I suppose, else no one would print it.

My species has no future.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  11:02:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No way, she got a million bucks for that? LOL. And here I thought she and her parents were idiots for nipping the budding actor's career in the bud by flubbing something so fundamental as birth control. Way to take a total screw up and make a buck from it; this is the true American spirit.

EDIT:

From the article:
- The father of Britney and Jamie Lynn Spears is furious with his ex-wife's decision to cash in on their 16-year-old daughter's pregnancy. "He doesn't get a dime from his daughters," a source said. Jamie has been working as a private chef to make a living, the source added, while ex-wife Lynne arranged the $1 million deal with OK! magazine, for which she will take a cut. Lynne also receives a percentage of her daughters' salaries - US
You see, this is just not fair. Half those girl's genes are his too, so he should profit from their stupidity as well.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 01/23/2008 11:05:32
Go to Top of Page

emsby
Skeptic Friend

76 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  12:12:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send emsby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also wonder if the anti-abortion whiners will begin to make a poster girl out of her, thereby really wreaking her life.

That's my prediction. It's already being set up that way... and don't forget that her publicists most likely want it spun that way so that they can make it seem like a positive choice. Forget teaching people that sometimes abortion is the responsible choice.

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  14:05:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
filthy wrote:
Sure, they held up Britney as an example, so why not her sister? Although I think it is silly to say that being used in that way would wreck her life.

emsby wrote:
Forget teaching people that sometimes abortion is the responsible choice.
In the case of an unwanted pregnancy, the responsible choice is a very personal thing. The three basic options are abortion, having and keeping it, and (the rarely mentioned) putting it up for adoption. In this case, the girl does have the financial potential to afford having a child, so the real question is whether or not she has more mature people in her life to support in the raising of the child, since she is still a child herself. Hopefully this will turn out better for this baby than for Britney's children.

A larger social concern for me is that for poor women, the choice is made so much more bleak because social services for impoverished teen mothers who don't have much financial or family support are painfully deficient. This leads many to insist that either abortion or adoption are the only truly responsible choices for such a woman. For others, like myself, I find it to be a severe injustice to limit the responsible choices when dealing with something as personal and significant as pregnancy.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 01/28/2008 14:05:16
Go to Top of Page

emsby
Skeptic Friend

76 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  14:50:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send emsby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A larger social concern for me is that for poor women, the choice is made so much more bleak because social services for impoverished teen mothers who don't have much financial or family support are painfully deficient. This leads many to insist that either abortion or adoption are the only truly responsible choices for such a woman. For others, like myself, I find it to be a severe injustice to limit the responsible choices when dealing with something as personal and significant as pregnancy.

I share your concern. Many so-called "pro-lifers" want nothing more than for every unwanted pregnancy to result in a baby. What they don't want, since their political leanings are usually decidedly conservative, is to support the mother and child once they are a reality. I wish that every woman had real choices, but in many cases they don't and it's a travesty. I certainly don't mean to suggest that abortion is always the responsible choice for young pregnant teens... I'm only saying that sometimes it is and that should be put out there as well. To have a pointed campaign saying that giving birth to this child is the "responsible thing" is wrong.

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  17:50:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
emsby wrote:
To have a pointed campaign saying that giving birth to this child is the "responsible thing" is wrong.
I agree. They could have put it another way that would have been equally kind (such as "We support Jamie Lynn in this sensitive and personal situation.") that wouldn't have sounded political.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.