Politics
 In case you thought Huckabee was the only bad one
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  03:29:15  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mike the Mad Biologist has some info about Romney that will curl your hair.

Let's leave aside decency and morality and try to forget that Romney eliminated funding for a gay teen suicide hotline to curry favor with the theopolitical Right. Let's not plumb the dark, foul abyss that is Mitt Romney's soul. Let's not ask how morally decrepit one would have to be to attempt to gain political office through the suicide of a child.

His article gets more interesting from there.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  04:07:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This shameless pandering to would-be theocrats could come back to haunt him. Huckabee is the real deal in the religious fellatio game and can out-pander him with one lip tied behind his back.

Besides, can a Mormon be a True Christian (tm)?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  05:16:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What gets me is that the GOP is so dominated by, well, fascists, that even the likes of Romney and Huckabee are considered main-line Presidential candidates in their party's primaries.

Cutting suicide hotlines for gay youth and similar outrageous pandering to the theonazis shows Romney has nothing but evil where his character is supposed to fit. And Baptist preacher Huckabee is about as batshit crazy a fundamentalist as an individual can get, right up there in the Pat Robertson range.

The Republican Party is cruisin' for perhaps its worst bruisin' ever in 2008. When this happens, many pundits will exclaim it's the Party's over.

I won't be one of them. The GOP can, and probably will, get back on track by throwing the crazies out. They've rebounded before. Once it again becomes a Party that covers the spectrum of Eisenhower to Goldwater, it'll be in business again.

But there will be one nasty fight. Like movie vampires which cannot cross the threshold unless invited to enter a cottage, the fundies are inside, and in control of, the Republican Party. I don't envy the GOP its coming fight, though I'd love to watch the part when they drive the stakes through the theofascist's hearts.

Once the fundies are tossed out of the GOP, they will probably form a third party. Been there, seen that. Such a party will only weaken the GOP. Then, like other third parties in the US, the new theofascist party will either fold, or become insignificant.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/16/2008 05:17:00
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  08:54:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
half said:
Once it again becomes a Party that covers the spectrum of Eisenhower to Goldwater

Yeah, well, Goldwater would be called a far left liberal by most of what passes for GOP these days. He was not on board with the Reagan-train and its insane policies, and he was vehemently opposed to the introdiction of "social" (read religious) issues into the political world.

I almost agree that he GOP is going to be spanked this year, except for the bad feeling I have that Huckabee could win a general election vs Hillary.

The GOP will need to face some major defeats in RED congressional districts as well as lose the presidency. They will also have to lose enough senate seats to give the dems a filabuster-proof majority. If that happens then we might see some changes in the GOP.

With the sheer number of imbeciles out there who think people like DeLay, Frist, Bush, and Huckabee are acceptable, that outcome is far from a given at this point.

Also, I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of the dems having the presidency AND a filabuster-proof majority in the senate.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  10:53:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

half said:
Once it again becomes a Party that covers the spectrum of Eisenhower to Goldwater

Yeah, well, Goldwater would be called a far left liberal by most of what passes for GOP these days. He was not on board with the Reagan-train and its insane policies, and he was vehemently opposed to the introdiction of "social" (read religious) issues into the political world.

I almost agree that he GOP is going to be spanked this year, except for the bad feeling I have that Huckabee could win a general election vs Hillary.

The GOP will need to face some major defeats in RED congressional districts as well as lose the presidency. They will also have to lose enough senate seats to give the dems a filabuster-proof majority. If that happens then we might see some changes in the GOP.

With the sheer number of imbeciles out there who think people like DeLay, Frist, Bush, and Huckabee are acceptable, that outcome is far from a given at this point.

Also, I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of the dems having the presidency AND a filabuster-proof majority in the senate.

In short, you want it to be as the Founding Fathers, in their wisdom, intended. A high goal indeed considering how screwed up our government currently is.

At the moment, I do not think that Huck could beat any of the Dem contenders. That, of course, could change but when you come right down to the nitty & the gritty, he's an even bigger clown than Bush. The difference is that he's funny, something that Bush has never been.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  11:39:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, Dude, though it seems pretty clear that the Democrats are not quite so monolithic in their voting as the GOP was or is. Delay ran a tight ship and if you didn't vote with him, you got into trouble quite quickly. With the Dems, it seems to have less of that iron fist, so a Filibuster-proof majority is probably going to have to be somewhat higher than 60.

Just a guess.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  12:15:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude.....

Dude, you've defined the most important cloud hanging over the '08 elections. More important than which Dem gets the Presidency is - how will the Congress shape up? How much of any legislation proposed by Hillary, Obama or John can become law and policy without a solid Democratic majority? Yeah, two-thirds+! Risky as hell!

But without it, the prospect of the stagnation, impotence, and inaction that we are seeing right now in Congress, probably continues unabated!

To me, the choice is simple. We have to rout these totally malevolent, big-money and fundamentalist poisoned Republican bastards, and take our chances that power thirsty Big Labor, the litigation prone big power AAJ, and, of course, the secular looney left atheists (like you and me) don't ride the pendulum back to lawless, Godless, anarchic Communism (like we had under Clinton) in the next four years!
NOTICE! The above sentence is intended as satirical, sarcastic hyperbole. Please do not read or understand literally! Please take the Chip off your shoulder! Please do not Barf! (Not you, Dude! the Literalists out there!)

Anyway, you have a strong point, Dude, when the check and balance ability of Congress is compromised by too much of a majority of one party or the other, democracy is threatened. Without sufficient cohesion between the Executive and the Legislative branches, deadlock and inaction frequently ensue. Democracy is threatened! If the bastards would just be a little more concerned with governance rather than reelection, think of the progress we could make! But how compel true cooperation?

Term limits, of course. Entrenchment being the reform hard row to hoe that it is, what else?

Ideas, anybody?
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  12:31:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Prison?

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  12:53:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote

...I almost agree that he GOP is going to be spanked this year, except for the bad feeling I have that Huckabee could win a general election vs Hillary...

I'm normally not one of those folks that posts "Oh! See this movie. It will answer all your questions!" It won't. But this film, now touring the country, is a strong background to this discussion.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  13:27:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck
Term limits, of course. Entrenchment being the reform hard row to hoe that it is, what else?

Ideas, anybody?
I sort of don't like term limits, only because there are sometimes smart, capable people in office that you hate to see leave. Those are of course not frequent, but still.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  20:11:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Problem with term limits is it's giving away our responsibility to know what our representatives are doing. Term limits doesn't mean that they can't be trusted. Term limits is admitting that we voters can't be trusted. As long as we have the power to throw the bum out, why would I support term limits?

Now, I understand that many voters really don't have a clue and get whatever news they get from unreliable sources. In my view, however, it is more important that I retain the right to vote for a representative that is doing a good job then to just give up and adjust the system because too many voters are dumb-shits.

The responsibility for voting in representatives who will work for us is on us. I would rather put up with the crap than to give away my rights and responsibilities…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  02:06:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bng asked:
But how compel true cooperation?

The structure of how lobbying is done needs to be dismantled and rebuilt. Yes, we need lobbyists. What we don't need is them buying politicians. We need a comprehensive law that reforms the way lobbying is regulated (limiting where and when this activity can take place, how much money any specific lobby can donate to re-election campaigns, and a few dozen other limitations) and also requires all politicians dealing with lobbyists to publish the minutes of any meeting held with any lobbyist along with detailed and explicit accounting of any money they or their campaign receive from a lobby.

Eliminate the campaign finance loopholes that allow PACs to collect unlimited money. Prohibit anyone in, or running for, any elected position from operating a PAC or PAC-like organization that isn't their own election/re-election campaign. Prohibit contribution farming: where some rich person gets a few hundred "friends" together and that one person makes the max allowed donation to a political campaign in the name of each of their "friends".

Prohibit the co-mingling of corporations and elected officials. There must be a mandatory time (say one year) between holding an elected office in the congress, president, or a position appointed by the president before a person can take a corporate job.

Prohibit private interest groups from manipulating elections. Make it illegal for the "swift boat vets" to run commercials, publish books, make phone calls, send mail, etc... that is politically motivated (i.e. advocates or abuses a political candidate).

There are a host of other things we could do, but for the moment I'd settle for those.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.