Impeach Bush after he leaves?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  06:45:01  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like most things, I don't know enough about this:

Just as hindsight shows that Americans 30 years ago could have prevented the abuses of Bush and Cheney by prosecuting and imprisoning Nixon in 1974, we owe it to future generations of Americans to hold Bush and Cheney accountable for their crimes and incompetence today.

If the move for post-term impeachments took hold, Republicans would doubtless object — but just seven years ago it was GOP legal types who floated the idea of a post-presidential, second impeachment Pres. Clinton because they didn't like the pardons he granted as he left office.

But, assuming current trends play themselves out, the dynamics of the upcoming 111th Congress could be quite different from any in recent memory. Conviction on impeachment charges requires 60 votes in the Senate, and it is quite possible that Democrats could end up controlling as many as 55 Senate seats, if not more. The split in the House is also likely to widen in favor of the Democrats. (And, technically, Speaker Pelosi only took impeachment “off the table” for the 110th Congress.)

It is also possible that Bush is aware he could be brought to justice after he leaves office. What else would explain the rumors that he purchased 100,000 acres of land in the Chaco region of Paraguay two years ago?

But, I thought the reason for impeachment were twofold. One, to get someone out of office, and two, because standing presidents can't be prosecuted for crimes. Unless some international body prosecutes him, which isn't likely, I don't see that happening, either. At least not for crimes committed while in office.

It doesn't seem to me that Congress is likely ever to impeach someone for committing the crimes Bush has, because they don't want to be told that they can't commit those crimes. If Bush is prosecuted, then the rest of the living presidents and their cabinets might be prosecuted for their crimes.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  16:02:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
“The impeachment-trial procedure is in two steps. The House of Representatives must first pass “articles of impeachment” by a simple majority” … then “Next, the Senate tries the accused” …then “In order to convict the accused, a two-thirds majority of the senators present is required”. So, more than a simple majority (2/3) of Senators are necessary to impeach.

If, Jupiter permitting, we get a two thirds majority in Congress particularly in the Senate, I think it is a wild, way out, possibility! The Democrats have got to show some guts if they rack up big gains in both houses this fall. To impeach Bush and Cheney would please a majority of Americans! Is it legal? Don't know, haven't researched it! Are there enough Senate seats up in '08 to allow for a Democratic two thirds?

If it could fly legally, I would personally get real involved in a movement like that, both with money and time!

God knows it should have happened to Nixon!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.