Community Forums
 General Discussion
 Lyzandra Daria
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lyzandra Daria

32 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  17:04:25  Show Profile Send Lyzandra Daria a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings and felicitations:

For introductions...
I thought I might be crazy...turns out I was right. I'll be 55 this year and boy am I surprised!

Tried TM back in the day...at least I managed a little 'quiet time'. I tried very hard to come to some 'accomodation' about religion in general. Just decided it doesn't work for me.

I agree w/ Voltaire's observation "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit attrocities."

Just recently a friend referred me to Deepak Chopra's work "The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success" and "The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga". Any thoughts? Reminds me somewhat of of Kahlil Gibran's "The Prophet" or "Og Mandino's "The Greatest Salesman...". For myself, I'd recommend something by Joseph Cambell.

I have I daughter. She had two children (adopted separately after birth by the same family). Married once to a man I thought I could love and respect for the rest of my life...too good to be trur. When I learned that he had been having an affair since our marriage I realized that he didn't respect or love me the same...so sad.

Moving on...I found this site and out of curiosity started reading others. I must say from other intros most members seem lucid have impressive creds and are (sometimes) quite funny.

This is the first site I've logged on to...and I've had the internet for years. Hopefully, through intelligent and thoughtful dialog, 'believers' will come to realize the error of their 'faith' and abandon their superstitious ways.

Regards

Lyz

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition" Alexander Hodge

Regards, Lyz

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  18:51:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Deepak Chopra: http://www.skepdic.com/chopra.html
Quantum healing is healing the bodymind from a quantum level. That means from a level which is not manifest at a sensory level. Our bodies ultimately are fields of information, intelligence and energy. Quantum healing involves a shift in the fields of energy information, so as to bring about a correction in an idea that has gone wrong. So quantum healing involves healing one mode of consciousness, mind, to bring about changes in another mode of consciousness, body. --Deepak Chopra

Hi Lyz and welcome to SFN!

Chopra mainly promotes & encourages so-called 'New Age' nonsense. He's been discussed in here before.

However, I think that a little meditation once in a while is good, for me at least. I do it, but other than relaxing the mind a little and helping coordinate thoughts, it has no actual health value.

Again, welcome; looking forward to your input!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  05:55:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Lyzandra Daria

Hello Lyzandra Daria and welcome to Skeptic Friends Network!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Lyzandra Daria

32 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  13:17:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lyzandra Daria a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Who knows...maybe we evolved to create duct tape! There is always the possibility...yes?

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition" Alexander Hodge

Regards, Lyz
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  13:56:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Who knows...maybe we evolved to create duct tape! There is always the possibility...yes?
Oh, duct tape is certainly a major part of it. Until the invention of "the handyman's secret weapon," there was naught but a writhing chaos in the tool shed that even WD-40 could not quell.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Lyzandra Daria

32 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  14:56:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lyzandra Daria a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Oh, duct tape is certainly a major part of it. Until the invention of "the handyman's secret weapon," there was naught but a writhing chaos in the tool shed that even WD-40 could not quell.

I've just watched too much of "The Red Green Show" on PBS. He can do wonders w/ duct tape.

Regards, Lyz
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  15:34:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Mab? Is that you?? Welcome back!
Go to Top of Page

Lyzandra Daria

32 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  16:01:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lyzandra Daria a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Don't know Mab...or is that some acronym that is supposed to be offensive (if I knew what it was)?

Just Lyz will do, thank you.

Regards, Lyz
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  16:14:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Don't know Mab...or is that some acronym that is supposed to be offensive (if I knew what it was)?

No, Lyz, Mab (Dr. Mabuse) is a moderator here who's been away for awhile. I was happy to see him back, so I sort of hi-jacked your thread!

BTW, tell me about your name. I used to date a girl who went by Lyz, but that was just a creative nickname for Elizabeth (since in high school, there were lots of girls named Liz). But I've not come across too many woman named Lyzandra. (BTW, the first Google hit for "Lyzandra" is you posting at SFN...)
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 01/23/2008 16:15:45
Go to Top of Page

Lyzandra Daria

32 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  17:56:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lyzandra Daria a Private Message  Reply with Quote

No, Lyz, Mab (Dr. Mabuse) is a moderator here who's been away for awhile. I was happy to see him back, so I sort of hi-jacked your thread!

BTW, tell me about your name. I used to date a girl who went by Lyz, but that was just a creative nickname for Elizabeth (since in high school, there were lots of girls named Liz). But I've not come across too many woman named Lyzandra. (BTW, the first Google hit for "Lyzandra" is you posting at SFN...)

Lyzandra...If I remember, I picked the name because I believe it meant something like 'dark hair' for a female. I was born with black hair. Otherwise, I just liked the name...sounded somewhat exotic without having 'overtones'.

Regards, Lyz
Go to Top of Page

Lyzandra Daria

32 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  17:30:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lyzandra Daria a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks for that 'heads up' (if that waas your initent). I haven't logged on to any sites before SFN. Yes, I am a bit paranoid. I don't necessarily think that is such a bad trait. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get me.

[Edited to fix quoting - Dave W.]

Regards, Lyz
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.