Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  05:21:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has always been something of a mystery to me: here we have this (proposed) entity capable of pulling an entire universe out of it's ass into existence and yet is concerned, solely if I've read it right, with a species of not-particularly-attractive mammals on a remote planet in the "unfashionable" part of a minor galaxy among the countless billions of other galaxies.

Further, this (proposed) entity seems to have some very real problems with individual specimens of this species of not-particularly-attractive mammals who, even if they lead exemplary lives, are doomed to a very uncomfortable "after-life" for no better reason than they failed to pay a spiritual vigorish to said (proposed) entity. Or worse, paid it rightly enough but to some other (proposed) entity. Yet on the other hand, some specimen or other of this not-particularly-attractive mammal species can rape, pillage, plunder & fuck chickens on the weekends for all of his life, and yet, if the vile fellow confesses these transgressions & says a long-winded equivalent of "Sorry 'bout that!" the (proposed) entity will welcome that specimen into it's presence where he (or she) will continue to suck up pay the spiritual vigorish directly into what passes for the (proposed) entity's ear in any of myriad degrees of off-key. A glutton for punishment as well as being more than a little psychotic, this (proposed) entity, eh?

But that's just the way I, merely another specimen of a not-particularly-attractive mammal species on a planet in a galaxy in a universe & so forth, see it. It makes no sense to me, and I'm not picking only on Christians; none of the various faiths make much sense, although their churches seem to provide sustenance & shelter for quite a few otherwise unemployable specimens.

On the gripping hand if a specimen of the not-particularly-attractive mammal species should just chuck the whole damned thing and stop worrying about the faith, or lack of it, of other specimens, that specimen will lead a happier and more productive current-life, and be the better for it because it has yet to be shown that any sort of an after-life exists beyond the ravings of various religious text, and never will.

Did you know that, carefully cut to size, Bible pages make very good cigarette papers and therefore the Bible is actually beneficial?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  06:38:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

Originally posted by pleco

God hates people that sin.

So I take it you have joined the Westboro Baptist Church?

You are one small step away from Killing in the Name of...

Thats quite a leap.

Not for the faithful. Ever read the OT, you know the good ol' ultra-violent parts? Before your god smoked the Holy Joint and went all hippy in the NT?

If you believe what people have written in a book because you think they come from god, and you read and listen to men now because you think they come from god, and you do what god commands, all you need is man that you believe comes from god telling you that god commands you to go to war against a particular group.

You said "god hates people that sin." It is not a leap at all to eliminate these sinful people so that god can deal with them and they won't be able to hurt or impede the faithful.

It happens all the time, in all religions and in all cultures. Don't think it can't happen to you.

The Christian Abortion murderers come to mind here in America as a recent example. There are tons others from the Christian religion in this country.

People can be manipulated into killing others for all kinds of reasons. Religious reasons seem to top the list.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  08:51:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Then why isn't salvation a license to sin? If God refuses to see a saved person's sins, then no harm, no foul, the saved are free to murder, rape, pillage and burn as they see fit. Some of the self-professed saved already act that way.
God does not “refuse” to see your sin. He actually attributes it to Jesus and not you if you are saved. Your sin is punished but not by you. When you ask why is it not a license to sin it is because you do not understand how terrible sin is against an infinite God and what a horrible thing it was for the son of God, an infinite being, to die. You think you are a good person. You need to get to the point where if God gave you the option of going to heaven or hell, you would choose hell beause you know that is what you deserve.

Is it possible for a person to know that he is saved?
Yes. Read 2 Corinthians 13:5 and then the book of 1 John.

Some of the self-professed saved already act that way.
Not all Christians show the traits of 1 John. If they do not then I believe they need to examine themselves because there are signs they are not saved.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  08:58:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Of course, Robb also often makes pronouncements like the one in this thread that the majority of Christians are not "true" Christians and are going to hell with the atheists. So while most Christians might think they are saved, they are actually wrong. But Robb is right, because he reads the bible properly. So while the bad Christians only think they know they are saved, Robb actually knows he is saved. And he's able to know this by virtue of being correct.

Make sense yet?

There is no such thing as a non saved Christian. You are a Christian or you are not a Christian. The Bible lays out who is a true convert and who is a false convert. I was a false convert for 5 plus years before I understood I was not saved. I have given you Bible references that are clear on this issue. Tell me how these passages are not correct. It is not what I think is true but what the Bible says to be true.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  09:17:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

Not for the faithful. Ever read the OT, you know the good ol' ultra-violent parts? Before your god smoked the Holy Joint and went all hippy in the NT?
Can I ask what purpose this sarcasm serves?

If you believe what people have written in a book because you think they come from god, and you read and listen to men now because you think they come from god, and you do what god commands, all you need is man that you believe comes from god telling you that god commands you to go to war against a particular group.
If a person comes to me and what he says does not line up with the Bible what he is saying is false. There is no new revelation from God.

You said "god hates people that sin." It is not a leap at all to eliminate these sinful people so that god can deal with them and they won't be able to hurt or impede the faithful.
God said that He hates people that sin not me. See referenced scripture in previous post. Does not the Bible say God want all to be saved? Does the Bible not say to pray for your enemies? The Bible does not teach to take justice into your own hands. What it does teach is to go out and preach the gospel to the world so they can be saved.

It happens all the time, in all religions and in all cultures. Don't think it can't happen to you.

The Christian Abortion murderers come to mind here in America as a recent example. There are tons others from the Christian religion in this country.

People can be manipulated into killing others for all kinds of reasons. Religious reasons seem to top the list.
James said “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.”

How can true religion condone murder?

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  09:23:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Can I ask what purpose this sarcasm serves?

Why do you think this is sarcasm?

If a person comes to me and what he says does not line up with the Bible what he is saying is false. There is no new revelation from God.

So?

God said that He hates people that sin not me. See referenced scripture in previous post. Does not the Bible say God want all to be saved? Does the Bible not say to pray for your enemies? The Bible does not teach to take justice into your own hands. What it does teach is to go out and preach the gospel to the world so they can be saved.

The Bible says a lot of things, and a lot of contradictory things. I guess if you wish to ignore the OT, then that is your interpretation.

James said “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.”

[quote]How can true religion condone murder?

Read the OT and ask that again. You have a different definition of murder? Like "it's not murder if god commands it?"

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  09:25:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was a false convert for 5 plus years before I understood I was not saved.
Did you believe yourself to be saved during those 5 years?

It is not what I think is true but what the Bible says to be true.
The bible says a lot of things, Robb. Individual people interpret those things in various ways, or place emphasis on different parts. Your biases, prejudices, and desires play a huge role in creating your personal interpretation of the bible. You may think you are taking the bible at face value and adding nothing to the text, but so does every other inflexible Christian out there. Not admitting that your reading of the bible is in fact an interpretation is just one your blind spots. Your self confidence springs from self-deception and error, not correctness.

In short, it is not what the bible says to be true, but what Robb thinks the bible says to be true.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 01/25/2008 09:32:51
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  09:30:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yet on the other hand, some specimen or other of this not-particularly-attractive mammal species can rape, pillage, plunder & fuck chickens on the weekends for all of his life, and yet, if the vile fellow confesses these transgressions & says a long-winded equivalent of "Sorry 'bout that!" the (proposed) entity will welcome that specimen into it's presence where he (or she) will continue to suck up pay the spiritual vigorish directly into what passes for the (proposed) entity's ear in any of myriad degrees of off-key. A glutton for punishment as well as being more than a little psychotic, this (proposed) entity, eh?
I take you back to 1 John. This is a description of your God, not the God of the Bible.

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  09:32:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  09:33:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How can true religion condone murder, you ask?

Quite easily.

Genesis 6:

6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

6:7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

From the Book of Morman, 1 Nephi 4:

4:12 And it came to pass that the Spirit said unto me again: Slay him, for the Lord hath delivered him into thy hands;
The Spirit said unto me again: "Slay him."

4:13 Behold the Lord slayeth the wicked to bring forth his righteous purposes. It is better that one man should perish than that a nation should dwindle and perish in unbelief.

Of course, it depends upon what religion, if any, is the 'true' one.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  09:44:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any Regular.....

When this Doomar nutter has hit and run here before, has he usually been followed by another lunatic such as Robb or BillScott to pick up the insane chain of crackbrain crap that ensues? One of Jerome's tricks used to be to come on with an OP and then carry thru the one-liners with alter egos.

Or are these creepy cretins just the authorized Religious Rant License distributors, free supply to all who apply? Come to think of it, I bought! Hmmmm! Shit!!

I guess it's all in the volume, if you give enough of your product away you can make a profit on it! I'm working desperately on five new woo-woo posts; think of the post volume I'll build! Humbug will be green with envy!
Edited by - bngbuck on 01/25/2008 10:56:23
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  09:48:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Any Regular.....

When this Doomar nutter has hit and run here before, has he usually been followed by another lunatic such as Robb or BillSmith to pick up the insane chain of crackbrain crap that ensues? One of Jerome's tricks used to be to come on with an OP and then carry thru the one-liners with alter egos.

Or are these creepy cretins just the authorized Religious Rant License distributors, free supply to all who apply? Come to think of it, I bought! Hmmmm! Shit!!

I guess it's all in the volume, if you give enough of your product away you can make a profit on it! I'm working desperately on five new woo-woo posts; think of the post volume I'll build! Humbug will be green with envy!

Robb and BillScott were here long before Jerome.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  09:49:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

How can true religion condone murder, you ask?

Quite easily.

Genesis 6:

6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

6:7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

It's not murder if god itself does, is it?

But there are plenty of examples in the Bible of god's followers Killing in the Name Of. Is that murder?

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  10:10:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck
Humbug will be green with envy!
My, how bngbuck loves preening more than a transsexual in assless chaps during Mardi Gras.

bngbuck, it would be nice if you could go at least one post without trying to make everything about yourself. Your self-obsession is embarrassing to behold.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Edited by - H. Humbert on 01/25/2008 10:13:46
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  10:12:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes.
So how do you know you aren't mistaken again?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds.