McCain wins SC primary
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  09:20:12  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22746415/

I'm actually surprised by this. I would have bet money on McCain being a distant third, at best, in the SC GOP primary.

I wouldn't advocate for McCain, but it is almost shocking that SC republicans didn't vote for the guy who was drinking the most jesus-juice.

Some days its good to be wrong, and this may be one of them.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  10:39:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was surprised, too, Dude. But as they note at TPM, South Carolina was an open primary, meaning (I think) that independents can vote on the GOP ticker. And apparently among just registered Republicans, the biggest Jesus-juicer of 'em all, Huckabee, got the most votes.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  12:20:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't particulary suprised -- Shouldn't have been either way, really, when you consider the rest of the field: Romney, who wasn't there, Paul, who is delusional, Thompson, who wasn't awake, and maybe some others I've lost track of.

Something interesting; Huck is, or at least has close ties with, The Reconstructionists, which historically and currently, is about as batshit a parcel of Bible-floggers as you're likely to find outside the Westboro Baptist Crunch.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 01/20/2008 12:23:04
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  12:30:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it says something about the majority of the conservative electorate in SC though. They aren't as insane as a whole as I thought they were. I'll take it as a step in the right direction for SC.

It will also be interesting to see who wins the dem primary. I would say Obama, but I have been wrong on every primary prediction I've made so far, except NH and McCain.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  13:40:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Yeah, it says something about the majority of the conservative electorate in SC though. They aren't as insane as a whole as I thought they were. I'll take it as a step in the right direction for SC.

It will also be interesting to see who wins the dem primary. I would say Obama, but I have been wrong on every primary prediction I've made so far, except NH and McCain.

Indeed; all bets are off there. It's especally interesting in that while Hillary won Nevada, Obama ended up with more delegates.

And all is not as it seems amongst Republicans (when is it ever?), I'm not sure of any of this, but it reads pretty good.
As of now, the GOP frontrunner is … to be determined
Posted January 20th, 2008 at 10:00 am
Share This | Spotlight | Permalink

It's tempting to think that John McCain is finally where he wants to be in the race for the Republican presidential nomination. After all, he now has impressive wins in New Hampshire and South Carolina under his belt. He fared poorly in Nevada, but the GOP field didn't take the contest seriously, and McCain never tried to compete there.

There is, of course, a flip-side to McCain's good news. His win over Mike Huckabee in South Carolina was important, but instead of dispelling concerns about McCain's long-term chances, the results actually reinforced them.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.