Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  15:29:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

If anyone is curious and feels that they might be able to offer a sensible, rational explanation - that is not telepathy - for an experience that I and several others had years ago, I would be glad to share it with you!
You're a tease, bngbuck. You knew someone here - like me for example - would be so curious. Come on, out with it.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  02:56:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

As the Fisher of Souls casts his lure, do I tempt thee?

If only there were others of your estimable curiosity, it would make the sacrificial baring of my innate ingenuousness easier to suffer.

I have nothing but the consensus of six people to attest to the authenticity of this astonishing event, and unfortunately one is my wife and another is my son! Incest, infidelity and improbity all begin at home!

The recounting is, of necessity, anecdotal. It happened to me, was completely observed and corroborated by five others, but there was no investigation or careful post facto examination of what happened by impartial observers! I would simply have to present it as my solemn word, with no verifiable evidence other than the narrational account given by myself and the others that knew of it.

Many will label me a liar or, more charitably, simply mistaken; and indulge my memory of that day as simply an event that did not occur! It did, and today, thirty two years later, the other five people who were aware of it will recount an identical narrative to the one that I tell!

I know this, as my wife and I were reminiscing recently and this matter came up. Wondering if time had changed anyone's recollection of the incident, I called each one and asked them to recount the events of that day with no prompting from me. There was almost perfect unanimity! That is the only "proof" I have.

If there were not unfortunate religious overtones to the word, I would almost be tempted to call my reaction to the experience an epiphany; undoubtedly the only one I have ever had in a lifetime of skepticism and basic incredulity.

It truly changed my long-held mindset of complete skepticism toward "psychic" events to one of a bemused "I truly don't know what to think, now!" Oh, and please -- there are no religious constructs here! No God, nor angels, nor JC or any of the standard crap frequently associated with delusionaries telling what appear to be tall tales such as this!

Are there any other quidnuncs reading this such as Dave (who, as we all know, suffers from an unfortunate terminal inquisitiveness and who would be long dead were he feline), who would like to hear this story?

It's 2:00 AM, I'm going to bed. I'll write more in the morning!

Edited by - bngbuck on 01/23/2008 02:59:52
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  05:47:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Are there any other quidnuncs reading this such as Dave (who, as we all know, suffers from an unfortunate terminal inquisitiveness and who would be long dead were he feline), who would like to hear this story?

It's 2:00 AM, I'm going to bed. I'll write more in the morning!
If the story involves the use of a couple hundred words cleverly composed to say next to nothing, much like this post. Well sure, I'd like to hear it.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  12:17:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Moakley.....

Actually three hundred and seventy two words, but thank you kindly for the pronoun modifer "next"! I grasp at straws of appreciation! Your price of admission is this:

You must solemnly swear to consider the account as "at least possible" of being true, and further promise to give one full minute of consideration as to what rational, sensible, non-paranormal explanation could completely explain the events of July 27, 1976. If nothing comes to mind, fugeddabowdit and return to watching Sylvia Browne fellate Montel Williams on TV!

Agreed, Moak? If so, all I need are a couple more listeners and you will soon hear one of the strangest true stories ever told!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  12:24:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spill it already!

I promise not to laugh where you can hear me.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  12:46:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude, you're my man! How can you betray me so calluously? Forgive him Father,... on second thought, don't bother!

OK Dude, you're on! But just a snicker, no howls of derision!

Any more takers??
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  13:08:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Dude, you're my man! How can you betray me so calluously? Forgive him Father,... on second thought, don't bother!

OK Dude, you're on! But just a snicker, no howls of derision!

Any more takers??

Why do you have to keep asking? Is there a threshold that needs to be reached before you'll say anything?

ETA: I saw that you wrote above, "if only there were others of your estimable curiosity, it would make the sacrificial baring of my innate ingenuousness easier to suffer," which seems odd. But if you feel like you need a certain audience size, then so be it.
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 01/23/2008 13:11:41
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  13:20:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
God did it![/arguement]

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  13:48:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cune.....

Loosen up a little, Cune! I'm just winding your spring, or can't you tell?

A little nonsense now and then
Is relished by the wisest men!
Anon, prob. L.Carrol

Thanks, Cune! The Event Threshold has almost been reached!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  13:51:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If anyone is curious... I would be glad to share it with you!
I responded.

Are there any other quidnuncs reading this...?
moakley responded.

...all I need are a couple more listeners...
Big, big tease.

Obviously, when you've spoken about your occupations, you've left off "carnie."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  14:05:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the clinically accepted term is "attention whoring."

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  14:24:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Humbert.....

Every whore has their Johns, even Lolita! Thanks, Hummer, you're number six!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  14:26:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Hummer, you're number six!
Nope, scratch me from that list. In fact, add me to the number who wishes you to keep mum.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  15:11:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

Worse, I was a car salesman! Hell, I owned the store!

Cune.... Ease the squeeze on your BVD's. Relief is on the way!
You make four, I need two more!

Big Papa.... No Deity, just piety!
You're number five, so no more jive!

BTW, Hummer...., notice the postes! Somebody's listening!
You're number six, you'll get your fix!
And Humbug, I kept my Mum pretty good, til' she died at 99!

Dave, my slave,.... don't bitch, here comes the pitch!

Cease and desist, you'll all get kissed!

NEXT POST
coming up!

Edited by - bngbuck on 01/23/2008 15:21:17
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  15:18:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bng said:
Dude, you're my man! How can you betray me so calluously?

I make no exceptions in what gets critically examined. Little white lies of comfort are for your family and friends, and not even them if they are saying some batshit crazy stuff. Hell, I piss my colleagues at work off all the time, because a few of them believe the nonsense conspiracies about health care and the pharmaceutical industry.

But you have already qualified your claim as annecdotal and unrepeatable, what more can we ask than that? The only thing left is for you to relay the tale and let us reach our own conclusions about it.

If its as fantastic as you have made it out to be, don't be shocked when people rain on your little parade though.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.