Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  18:42:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Obviously he wears the lightsaber and the bow tie at the same time.
What's wrong with that?

Seriously, I think it's because I own a lot of dorky stuff, like my comic collection, my Star Wars Legos, and my Battlestar Galactica DVDs that set me over the edge.

And a friend of mine really did hit me when I tried to explain that Batman was way cooler than Superman...and that Spiderman can kick Superman's ass. Sadly, it turns out I was mistaken.

For the record, I also own a drum set, several guitars, a snowboard, and various other "non-dork" things too. It all balances out (I think!) in the end, eh?
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  19:06:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10

...my Star Wars Legos...
Hey, have you picked up the UCS Falcon yet?
For the record, I also own a drum set, several guitars, a snowboard, and various other "non-dork" things too. It all balances out (I think!) in the end, eh?
Nah, but you're old news now that Mab has shown up with his whopping 69% dorkitude.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  19:59:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And a friend of mine really did hit me when I tried to explain that Batman was way cooler than Superman...and that Spiderman can kick Superman's ass. Sadly, it turns out I was mistaken.
LOL! I was about to correct you, since I'm a Superman fan, but your spoiler says it all.

I never saw that DC v Marvel series. Most of them make sense. As a Green Lantern fan (did my dorkiness just go up one point?), I'm thrilled to see him matched with someone like the Silver Surfer. But yeah, he'd lose. I seriously doubt Storm could beat Wonder Woman, though.

Most of the others seem to be logical. The only exception is Cap versus Batman, which to me is a toss up. But perhaps Boron has a different opinion.

And Boron, you're in the Navy, man. You definitely have counter-dork factors.

Mine are lacking. Yes, I own Doctor Who, Star Trek, AND Battlestar Galactica DVDs. I have a comic book collection (earliest is X-Men #12). I am constantly looking for a book that can best explain quantum physics and string theory to me. I have a PhD in some obscure field of the humanities.

Counter to that, I watch lots of sports, can drink most people under the table, can (when I'm in shape) beat most people in a 5k, and own a gun. Of course, the gun is just an irrational fear stemming from the film Red Dawn, but whatever.

*Sigh*

Yes, I'm a dork.
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 01/28/2008 20:00:56
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  21:28:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

LOL! I was about to correct you, since I'm a Superman fan, but your spoiler says it all.
Yeah, I was proven wrong. Hence the getting hit part....
Most of the others seem to be logical. The only exception is Cap versus Batman, which to me is a toss up. But perhaps Boron has a different opinion.
I definately would have thought Captain America would destroy Batman, but The Bat does have the benefit of all those toys... and yes, your dorkiness did just go up a little.
... I am constantly looking for a book that can best explain quantum physics and string theory to me.
I recommend Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe. It is the best "layman's" explanation I've seen of both, though I have huge issues with the validity (or even the potential) of String Theory. By the way, I strongly advise against Michio Kaku's Hyperspace.
I have a PhD in some obscure field of the humanities.
Hey man, no worries. I have been certified by the Department of Energy to run nuclear reactors (three different times, at progressively increasing levels of theoretical knowledge, responsibility, and dorkiness)
*Sigh*

Yes, I'm a dork.
It may be requisite for active participation in these message boards....
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  23:24:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
39% scored higher (more nerdy),
1% scored the same, and
60% scored lower (less nerdy).

What does this mean? Your nerdiness is:

Low Ranking Nerd. Definitely a nerd but low on the totem pole of nerds.
*sigh* Can't say I'm surprised.

Edited to add: But at least I made the cut.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 01/28/2008 23:25:24
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  04:11:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
B10 said:
I definately would have thought Captain America would destroy Batman

I'd say it depends on the circumstances. If the writer is giving Batman a chance to prepare and learn about his opponent beforehand, he is usually the winner. In the Dark Knight graphic novel Batman beat Superman down pretty hard, and it was consistent with the established rules of the DC comic universe. Under different circumstances you'd expect Superman to snap Batman like a twig. As for the Cap vs Bat fight... (yes, I have those comics in a box somewhere in a closet.... haha!) the way it was written the outcome was acceptable. All else being equal, Batman is more intelligent and has a comprehensive weapons arsenal that gives him an edge in the vs book.

... that should raise the dork-factor of this thread another notch!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  07:01:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

B10 said:
I definately would have thought Captain America would destroy Batman

I'd say it depends on the circumstances. If the writer is giving Batman a chance to prepare and learn about his opponent beforehand, he is usually the winner. In the Dark Knight graphic novel Batman beat Superman down pretty hard, and it was consistent with the established rules of the DC comic universe. Under different circumstances you'd expect Superman to snap Batman like a twig. As for the Cap vs Bat fight... (yes, I have those comics in a box somewhere in a closet.... haha!) the way it was written the outcome was acceptable. All else being equal, Batman is more intelligent and has a comprehensive weapons arsenal that gives him an edge in the vs book.

... that should raise the dork-factor of this thread another notch!
And to continue with that, I'll say that I thought about this a lot last night and came to this conclusion. I imagined that if the two were in a big city, and the goal were to obtain device X hidden in the city, that Batman would totally get there first, and if he had to face Cap along the way his collection of toys would win out over Cap's enhanced physique and vibranium shield. So, yeah.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  07:35:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sheesh. The way you guys talk, I think I cheated. I mean I do own comic books, but they're just a few issues of The Tick. Oh, and the Fineous Fingers Treasury.

As far as nerdliness goes, these probably shouldn't count. It's not like I have discussions with anyone (even myself) about whether Rolf could beat Die Fledermaus.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  07:40:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.
Nah, but you're old news now that Mab has shown up with his whopping 69% dorkitude.

Well, just keep in mind that the Replica Swords of Narsil and Boromir's sword (don't recall it's name) that hangs on the wall at home belongs not to me but my girlfriend...

I also have personally signed autographs of:
Michael Shanks (Stargate)
Gigi Edgley (Farscape)
John de Lancie (Star Trek)
Margret Weiss (DragonLance novels of AD&D)

- and personal photos with me and:
Jonathan Frakes & Brent Spiner.

Although these items really don't count in the geek-test itself, it is provided as evidence that the dork-score is not undeserved...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  07:46:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I haven't bought a comic book in years.... I used to buy/read a handful of titles regularly, but stopped in the 90s. The comic companies, before they capitalized bigtime on some movie deals, were struggling to stay afloat and they started these insane crossover storylines. So if you wanted to follow your favorite book you ended up having to buy 5 or 6 other titles for months at a time. Pissed me off so I just stopped buying them.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  08:55:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a conversation in the movie Stand by Me that I really love.

Budding geeks…

Boy, you don't know nothing," says the bespectacled Teddy (Corey Feldman) when his buddy, Vern (Jerry O'Connell) blasphemes by suggesting Mighty Mouse could win. "Mighty Mouse is a cartoon. Superman's a real guy. There's no way a cartoon could beat up a real guy.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  09:06:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well, I haven't bought a comic book in years.... I used to buy/read a handful of titles regularly, but stopped in the 90s. The comic companies, before they capitalized bigtime on some movie deals, were struggling to stay afloat and they started these insane crossover storylines. So if you wanted to follow your favorite book you ended up having to buy 5 or 6 other titles for months at a time. Pissed me off so I just stopped buying them.
Ha! Same thing happened to me. When I started collection, I did mostly X-Men, and then X-Factor. But about 7 years later, I had to get 6 titles a month to keep up with the story, and when special events happened that could double-- or worse when the same issue had four special covers and you needed to buy all four!

A few months ago, though, I stopped by the local comics shop and picked up a few issues of titles I never read before (mostly Green Lantern) and have been really pleased with it.
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  14:04:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Ha! Same thing happened to me. When I started collection, I did mostly X-Men, and then X-Factor. But about 7 years later, I had to get 6 titles a month to keep up with the story, and when special events happened that could double-- or worse when the same issue had four special covers and you needed to buy all four!

A few months ago, though, I stopped by the local comics shop and picked up a few issues of titles I never read before (mostly Green Lantern) and have been really pleased with it.
Not surprisingly, I went through the same thing ... but I recently fell off the wagon and purchased the entire Marvel Civil War series, which led up to the Death of Captain America.

What can I say, I am a victim of marketing.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  19:17:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure what to make of this.

Being a Cool Nerd King will come as quite a surprise to my wife.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  19:30:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Would that be Spiderman with or without the 2 extra sets of arms?

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.66 seconds.