How ID Creationists operate: A random example
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  22:31:52  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I "research" looking for images probably more often than I do looking for text information. Tonight, while Googling for photos of Discovery Institute Senior Fellow (and Moonie) Jonathan Wells, I can across this article on the DI's "Evolution News" site.

It's interesting to see an image of Wells speaking to a gathering at an ultra-traditionalist Shinto university in Tokyo last year:

It's also interesting to see just how the DI's flacks wrote this up, exactly what they said, and what they failed to mention. In part:
Interest in ID in Japan, and indeed across all of Asia, has been growing. Recently Sekai Nippo, a daily newspaper in Tokyo, ran a series of articles about ID and featured interviews with Wells and also with William Dembski, Stephen Meyer, Michael Behe and others.

What was most interesting was the cartoon they published depicting ID scientists assailing Darwin's castle. We have now received permission to post it here. Take a look at the full-size cartoon (download hi-res version here) and see if you can identify the characters. If you get stumped, you can click here for a guide to who is featured in the cartoon.
The cartoon from Sekai Nippo, that "daily paper in Tokyo" is here:

Now, that thing's a mess, far too cluttered, in my opinion. It's supposed to show Darwin in his castle, being successfully assaulted by Intelligent Design "scientists."

But just what is Sekai Nippo, so blandly described by the DI flack as "a daily newspaper in Tokyo"? I was interested, so I searched Wikipedia. Here's what Wiki's "Religion in Korea" article says, near the bottom:
Virulently anticommunist, Moon has sought to influence public opinion at home and abroad by establishing generally unprofitable newspapers such as the Segye Ilbo in Seoul, the Sekai Nippo in Tokyo, and the Washington Times in the United States capital, and by inviting academics to lavish international conferences, often held in South Korea. At home, the Unification Church was viewed with suspicion by the authorities because of its scandals and Moon's evident desire to create a "state within a state." His influence, however, had declined by the late 1980s.

[My bolding.]
So, actually that newspaper which gave all the print to the conference is a propaganda outlet owned by and operated for Sun Myung Moon (Jonathan Wells' "Father" and biology PhD sponsor) and his Unification Church cult. It's funny that DI didn't mention that connection, eh? (I wonder who paid for all those people to attend that international conference? Mr. Ahmanson? Mr. Moon?)

The DI likes to scream "ad hominem!" every time an evolution proponent mentions that the religion of Wells (or any other IDers) makes their pronouncements on biology suspicious. Yet there is the huge Moonie cult lurking silently (and unmentioned) in the background, using its power to support its boys.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/27/2008 03:26:37

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  23:02:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brilliant, in a number of ways. [/sarcasm]

What I like best is that Godzilla is obviously an ID proponent, even though his creation was an accident.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  23:12:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, crud. I was hoping that you'd been first to discover the Moonie angle, Mooner (haha!), but it seems that the gang at AntiEvolution had some guffaws about this bit in November, 2006 (the same day the Sekai Nippo piece came out).

Odd that the DI didn't mention it until four months later.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  00:01:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Well, crud. I was hoping that you'd been first to discover the Moonie angle, Mooner (haha!), but it seems that the gang at AntiEvolution had some guffaws about this bit in November, 2006 (the same day the Sekai Nippo piece came out).

Odd that the DI didn't mention it until four months later.
Yeah. I "discover" nothing new, again. I also noticed that UD had a 2007 thread. Though I didn't notice any (undeleted) posting there that so much as mentions that Sekai Nippo is a Moonie house organ -- or that Wells is a Moonie, for that matter.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/27/2008 00:06:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.