Robots evolve communication, heroism, treachery
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  23:40:03  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The easy read is here at Discover.

. . .

Their neural circuitry was programmed with just 30 “genes,” elements of software code that determined how much they sensed light and how they responded when they did. The robots were initially programmed both to light up randomly and to move randomly when they sensed light.

To create the next generation of robots, Floreano recombined the genes of those that proved fittest—those that had managed to get the biggest charge out of the food source.

. . .

By the 50th generation, the robots had learned to communicate—lighting up, in three out of four colonies, to alert the others when they'd found food or poison. The fourth colony sometimes evolved “cheater” robots instead, which would light up to tell the others that the poison was food, while they themselves rolled over to the food source and chowed down without emitting so much as a blink.

Some robots, though, were veritable heroes. They signaled danger and died to save other robots. “Sometimes,” Floreano says, “you see that in nature—an animal that emits a cry when it sees a predator; it gets eaten, and the others get away—but I never expected to see this in robots.”
The Abstract of the scholarly paper is at Science Direct, with links allowing one to buy the whole paper.
We conducted repeated trials of experimental evolution with robots that could produce visual signals to provide information on food location. We found that communication readily evolves when colonies consist of genetically similar individuals and when selection acts at the colony level. We identified several distinct communication systems that differed in their efficiency. Once a given system of communication was well established, it constrained the evolution of more efficient communication systems. Under individual selection, the ability to produce visual signals resulted in the evolution of deceptive communication strategies in colonies of unrelated robots and a concomitant decrease in colony performance. This study generates predictions about the evolutionary conditions conducive to the emergence of communication and provides guidelines for designing artificial evolutionary systems displaying spontaneous communication.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/18/2008 23:42:27

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  16:14:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HalfMooner.....

Thank you so much for this valuable link. I purchased the full article by Hod Lipson:
Your Order Confirmation number: DOC6219533
(1). Evolutionary Robotics: Emergence of Communication
Current Biology, Volume 17, Issue 9, 1 May 2007, Pages R330-R332
Hod Lipson
US $30.00
Confirmation ID: DOC6219533-01
View Article: SummaryPlus | Full Text + Links | PDF (183 K)

I can download it tomorrow. I would be happy to e-mail it to you and any other member interested in this subject. It is extremely relevant to a book chapter I will be starting soon.

Let me know if you want a free copy.

Bill Buck
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  19:47:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"By the 50th generation, the robots had learned to communicate—lighting up, in three out of four colonies, to alert the others when they'd found an interesting article."

I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone* -Dick Cheney

*some restrictions may apply
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  10:41:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it's not that humanity is a flawed creature, it's just that intelligence coupled with competition leads to treachery. Hmmmm.... some would say this is original sin in humans. After a long chain of silly reasoning, one might conclude that robots have souls. And if that's so, then what can be said about the humans who created them?

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Risendemonx

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  10:51:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Risendemonx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love a copy, Bng- It sounds like a very interesting read!

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move."
--
Douglas Adams, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  12:22:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Risendemonx.....

Send me or post your e-mail address and it's on the way!

bngbuck@roadrunner.com

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  10:23:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would not recommend the posting of email address, and if such is to be done, format it in a nonstandard way:

myemail "AT" mydomain DoT com

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  10:45:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ricky.....

Why?
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  15:31:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Ricky.....

Why?

Spiders and web crawlers will grab your email and the spamming begins...

Best to always put your email in a non-standard format.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  08:22:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm.... I did no know that.

On a related thought, in the interests of the 60 Second Rule, maybe we can't help but create AI in our own image.... scary that.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  11:31:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw something sort of in this field a few years back, it's goal was just to build a robot which can move the best with the limited number of parts available. The comp did all the design work, but did quite well via trial and error, making some very strange and unexpected designs, the best being a snake like thing which rolled itself sideways.

On a related note did anyone catch the Terminator show last week? The insights into the intelligent chess puter were really cool.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  11:36:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4538547.stm

Also heres an article from last year about a bot which can build copies of itself.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.