Haitians eat Mud
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  03:11:44  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haiti's Poor Eat Mud Cookies.

I saw a comment from someone saying that this is the kind of situation where we need American imperialism.

Haiti's poverty is the result of France and America and Canada's intervention. This is the end result of Shermer's "free market" capitalism.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 02/01/2008 03:16:37

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  18:39:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say that American Imperialism is the last thing they need, and it doesn't have a great track record anyway. They would be better off finding another Fidel Castro. A country that socially bankrupt needs an iron fist, a (relatively) benevolent dictator who enforces education, socialized medicine, and keeps a very tight rein on foreign investment, making sure that it benefits the people of Haiti before its shareholder's bank accounts.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Edited by - The Rat on 02/02/2008 18:39:23
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  06:21:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Their problem has been American (and French and Canadian) imperialism, so you're right, that is not the solution.

Haiti is an environmental nightmare. The land itself is dying. There are few trees. There is so much poverty that the poor can't help the poorer. They need to become part of Cuba or Venezuela, or at least work with Cuba, Venezuela and Bolivia as some countries have, and as they have with each other, to shake off the need for destructive programs like the IMF and World Bank would impose. I don't think the government of Haiti itself, regardless of the form it takes, can deal with it anymore. Aristide's government was making strides, but the U.S. made sure that the poor didn't have a chance.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  06:25:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That place was doomed from the moment Columbus set up shop. Only took him 13 years to completely depopulate the place through brutality.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.