IDer destroys premise for ID
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  10:11:26  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm only about halfway through the fascinating Panda's Thumb piece, "ID: Intelligent Design as Imitatio Dei (report on the 2007 ‘Wistar Retrospective Symposium')," but I couldn't wait to share. The author says,
Dembski then asserted that you can't find empirical evidence of the Designer's actions.
But that's precisely the premise of ID: that the evidence for design is everywhere in nature. Design has to be one of the designer's actions (as does implementing designs, like actually creating bacterial flagella).

The statement is also contrary to things like forensic science and SETI, both of which were included in Dembski's examples of current fields relying upon design detection. Criminal forensics, in particular, intends to prove the "designer's" actions through rigid empiricism. And SETI assumes that "designers" will take particular actions and goes to look for evidence of just such actions.

Great stuff. Once again proving Lenny Flank's dictum that to show ID for the inanity that it is, one need simply allow the IDers to keep on talking.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  10:17:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dangit, just a few paragraphs later is this choice bit, too:
[Ann Gauger] gave what amounted to a second presentation, during which she discussed “leaky growth,” in microbial colonies at high densities, leading to horizontal transfer of genetic information, and announced that under such conditions she had actually found a novel variant that seemed to lead to enhanced colony growth. Gunther Wagner said, “So, a beneficial mutation happened right in your lab?” at which point the moderator halted questioning. We shuffled off for a coffee break with the admission hanging in the air that natural processes could not only produce new information, they could produce beneficial new information.
Just let them keep talking.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  10:58:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's hoping for another court case where these tidbits can be utilized.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  09:59:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of tidbits in Florida, too.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.