Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Creation/Evolution
 Where the dread Tryannosaur was never seen...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  05:57:05  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But it was wise to keep a low profile, anyway. From out of Africa:
New Meat-eating Dinosaur Duo From Sahara Ate Like Hyenas, Sharks
ScienceDaily (Feb. 14, 2008) — Two new 110 million-year-old dinosaurs unearthed in the Sahara Desert highlight the unusual meat-eaters that prowled southern continents during the Cretaceous Period. Named Kryptops and Eocarcharia in a paper appearing this month in the scientific journal Acta Palaeontologica Polonica, the fossils were discovered in 2000 on an expedition led by University of Chicago paleontologist Paul Sereno.

Even though these animals pre-dated T. rex by a not inconsiderable amount of geologic time, they appear to be at least as impressive as that great beast albeit a bit smaller (about the size of an elephant -- how the hell did they come up with that comparison? Elephants look like a box with something trying to escape, not a theropod dino! Go figger....).

I'm looking forward to more info on these, including statements that they were vegetarians until The Fall and only used those amazing teeth to chop lettuce.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  08:37:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those teeth were obviously for cracking coconuts!

Ummm, yeah. coconuts!

How else would they get to drink in the sahara?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  08:52:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
T-Rex is over rated anyway.

I wonder how many species of dinosaur were lost forever? There's apparently record of a lot, and growing, but I'd bet there are many more that no record survived. Is that a pointless question since there's no way to know?

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  09:14:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, Filthy, a "Tryannosaur" is the only creature that will do Ann Coulter.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  09:18:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

I wonder how many species of dinosaur were lost forever? There's apparently record of a lot, and growing, but I'd bet there are many more that no record survived. Is that a pointless question since there's no way to know?
There are about 300 genera and some 700 known species of dinosaur.

My own thought on the matter is that this is no more than a scratch on the surface. I think that there are a great many more undescribed dinos, most of which will remain anonymous. "Kilroy was here!"

And consider those reptiles that weren't dinosaurs and add them to the mix, and the unknown number becomes staggering.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  09:34:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Hehehehe....

What a sight that would be! Did you know that male dinos may well have had hemipenes?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Risendemonx

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  10:53:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Risendemonx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

What a sight that would be! Did you know that male dinos may well have had hemipenes?

mmm... what a sexy sight that would be... Perhaps a moonscape is in order here?

By the way, my female iguana is learing at that photo, fil!

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move."
--
Douglas Adams, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Edited by - Risendemonx on 02/14/2008 10:55:00
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  13:34:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
half said:

I gues that would make JJ Walker a t-rex? He and mAnn Coultergeist have been an "item" for many years now (first heard him talk about dating her in a msnbc interview in 2004), and still appear to be going strong.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  13:49:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

half said:

I gues that would make JJ Walker a t-rex? He and mAnn Coultergeist have been an "item" for many years now (first heard him talk about dating her in a msnbc interview in 2004), and still appear to be going strong.

J.J. Walker has a hemipenes? I didn't know that!
By the way, my female iguana is learing at that photo, fil!

You have a Ig! Great, but be glad it's a female. Over the years, I have had several big iguanas come through my little rehab operation including an aprox 6' male. That thing damned near took over the place! And he was horny all the time!

I finally made him a luv sock and that mellowed him out, a little, anyway. The sock went with him when he left to a new home.

I like iggys.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 02/14/2008 13:50:02
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  17:55:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

Sightly off topic, but this reminds me of an event back in high school, quite some time ago.

I think it was an engineering science class, anyway, we were discussing the periodic table and the teacher said:

"There are 105* known elements."

One of my co-geniuses shoots up his hand and asks, you guessed it:

"How many unknown ones are there?"

It's not a pointless question, but not answerable in an accurate, quantitative sense.

* Or some nearby integer, 'twas a number of years ago.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  18:07:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  07:28:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL - I love that.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds.