New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

shaun2000

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  10:56:13  Show Profile  Visit shaun2000's Homepage Send shaun2000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The loneliest man in town used to be the Maytag Man. Now it's the atheist who doesn't believe in Darwinism. That's me.

Not only do I not believe, I've written a book criticising natural selection on scientific grounds. Not only that, my book is an angry manifesto calling on science to come up with better theories, and meanwhile to not include any mechanism at all in the teaching of evolution in the school science classroom.

I studied biochemistry at University College London, and I've had a career as professional medical writer. No creationism runs in my veins.

All this would be of little interest except that in April people emerging from seeing "Expelled..." will be wondering where they can find what the movie says has been suppressed--scientific criticism of Darwinism. I thought you'd like to be prepared with an answer.

My book "Save Our Selves from Science Gone Wrong: Physicalism and Natural Selection," just published this month, is available from Amazon. Anyone on your board wanting to review it can email me for a complimentary review copy.

Evolved Self Publishing
www.evolvedself.com

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  12:04:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, you gave yourself 5 stars on amazon.com.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 02/27/2008 12:05:01
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  12:57:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by shaun2000
All this would be of little interest except that in April people emerging from seeing "Expelled..." will be wondering where they can find what the movie says has been suppressed--scientific criticism of Darwinism. I thought you'd like to be prepared with an answer.

My book "Save Our Selves from Science Gone Wrong: Physicalism and Natural Selection," just published this month, is available from Amazon.
Let me get this straight. When people walk out of the film Expelled wanting to know what information is being "suppressed," you want us to tell them it's been widely available on Amazon this entire time? Where's the suppression?

Oh, you mean scientists haven't been favorable to your ideas. Well, that's something else entirely, isn't it? But if you can't get that much straight, I have no reason to think your arguments against evolution get any better. Oh, and whether informed by religiously nuttery or not, arguments from incredulity are still logical fallacies. Just because something isn't religion doesn't make it scientific by default. There's also a good chance it's just plain old pseudoscience.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 02/27/2008 14:50:07
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  14:03:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh boy, this is interesting.
I went to his site and it looks like he has the book in a pdf file. I looked at a page at random and found out some things about life that I did not know.

Do you know where variation comes from in organisms?

If you said that variation comes from the genome thinking, then you are right according to this book.
That's right the genome thinks, which changes it's chemistry, that in turn changes the genes on the chromosomes and poof you have a new type of organism.

I think creationism makes more sense than this book.... yikes!

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Edited by - furshur on 02/27/2008 14:05:45
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  14:45:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the official Amazon review:
Johnston conjures up a genome-self able to literally dream up new species
Yeah, that seems like sound science. Keep dreaming, Johnston.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  14:53:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shaun 2000.....

Welcome to SFN. Shaun! Why don't you post a few (six or eight) condensations of the salient points you make in your book, Save Our Selves from Science Gone Wrong: Physicalism and Natural Selection which speaks to:
criticising natural selection on scientific grounds. Not only that, my book is an angry manifesto calling on science to come up with better theories, and meanwhile to not include any mechanism at all in the teaching of evolution in the school science classroom.
I'm sure most here at the forum would be interested in examining them. As the esteemed Carl Sagan wrote: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"! Present some of your evidence for the claims implicit in your above post.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  17:32:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd email for a free book, but the address he gives at his site is on the servers of these people, and there's no way I'm just going to hand them my email and street addresses.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  18:40:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It appears that Shaun, as I see it, is really "full of self".

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  18:48:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Present some of your evidence for the claims implicit in your above post.
Judging from the one-star review at Amazon, it's unlikely the author will return. Probably, this was a drive-by spamming for the book.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  18:51:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, I don't believe in Darwinism, either. And I'm also positive that natural selection is not sufficient to explain biodiversity.

Shaun and I have that much in common. I'm sure the reasons for my doubts differ greatly from his, though.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  21:37:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect that Darwin would shudder if he were alive today and heard of the straw man of "Darwinism" as used by Creationists. He'd also, I think, be amazed with how science has taken his theory and enriched it with both "neo-Darwinist" modifications and huge mountains of confirming data.

I'm convinced that evolution itself is the rock-solidest part of biology. It's my opinion that natural selection is the primary driving force behind it, though there may be other natural forces at work as well, and things like lateral gene transfer may vastly complicate our concept of a tree-like evolution of life over time.

Mr. Johnston seems to believe in evolution (descent with modification over time, a concept that came before Darwin), but his idea of a conscious genome is like some bizarre, crackpot variant of Lamarkism. He claims that he's not a Creationist, but he aligns himself rather closely with the Ben Stein/Discovery Institute crowd. Johnston claims his theory is science, but he's not a scientist, and on the face of his apparent main thesis, that claim seems nonsensical.

If his book refers readers to peer-reviewed scientific papers that show, for instance, that the genome can "think," "dream," or is conscious, this might be an interesting start. I doubt the book has any such science (or we'd have heard of it), but my mind is open to the remote possibility that it does.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/27/2008 21:44:21
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  10:14:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shaun 2000.....

If your initial post here was indeed a product of a conscious concatenation of neurons in your brain (evolved from conscious genomes), instead of an automated book-selling e-mail spam, please come back and prove that you are indeed a live human being instead of a book publisher's flack!

Many have criticized you, can you not pitch your genomic genius directly to us in defense of your assertations? Or is this just another hit and run from a mendacious merchant?
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  10:20:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...my book is an angry manifesto...
You need a better PR person.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Pelayo
Skeptic Friend

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  10:46:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pelayo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer thinking of evolution as "natural rejection" as opposed to "narural selection." Individuals who cannot cope with their environment do not reproduce or reproduce in very small numbers. It is the failure to reproduce that weeds out the characteristics that could imperil the success of the species. The slowest antelopes get eaten first. The slowest predators do not live very long and do not make a lot of baby predators.

Please comment on the following statement:

Creation and evolution theories are not complementary. Evolution does not explain the mechanism that caused the very first molecules to form up into primitive life forms so many millions of years ago.

I have a habit of posting without reading all previous comments, if I am repeating someone, well, excuse me, please.

"No tendency is quite so strong in human nature as the desire to lay down rules of conduct for other people." - William Howard Taft

"God ran out of new souls a long time ago and has been recycling jackasses." - Anon
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  14:37:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Pelayo
...so many millions of years ago.
It's even safe to say billions of years...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Pelayo
Skeptic Friend

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  15:09:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pelayo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every time I see billions, I think of Carl Sagan. "billions and billions"

Four and one half billion years ago, the cosmos brought forth in this firmament a new planet . . . TBD.

I have a habit of posting without reading all previous comments, if I am repeating someone, well, excuse me, please.

"No tendency is quite so strong in human nature as the desire to lay down rules of conduct for other people." - William Howard Taft

"God ran out of new souls a long time ago and has been recycling jackasses." - Anon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.