Potpourri
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  04:44:38  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I post these with little comment. Little is needed, really.

If stupidity is happiness, the Bush White House is Utopia. Dan Froomkin:

President Bush last night delivered a buoyant campaign-style address to the 2008 Republican Governors Association Gala, once again raising the question of whether he has any idea what a drag he'll be on the Republican ticket.

Bush told big party donors that he is optimistic about the GOP's prospects -- as well as the verdict of history. "I don't know about you," he said, "but I'm confident we'll hold the White House in 2008. . . .

"Our ideas are those embraced by the American people. American people want strong national defense and they want the government to protect the people from further attack, and that's precisely what Republicans will give them. Americans want lower taxes and less government, and it's precisely what Republicans will give them. Americans want strong, principled leadership, and that is precisely what Republicans will give them.
"And so when I say I'm confident, I am so because I understand the mentality of the American people."

As for his own legacy, Bush said: "I believe 50 years from now, people will look back at this period of time, and say, thank God the United States of America did not lose its faith in the transformative power of liberty to bring the peace we want for our children and our grandchildren."

Ralph Rides Again! And is, again, making a nuisance of himself :

CONSUMER advocate Ralph Nader has every right to run for the presidency again, and to ask voters to weigh his independent candidacy against the merits and faults of the major-party nominees. But does he have any good reason? When he launched his latest presidential bid during an appearance on "Meet the Press" Sunday, the rationale he offered for it was both familiar and unpersuasive: that the two major parties are two heads of the same corporate beast, and that there is little meaningful difference between them.

In 2000, when Nader ran under the Green Party banner, about 2.9 million voters bought that argument. His views haven't much changed. In his rambling comments on the NBC show this weekend, Nader lumped the two remaining Democratic presidential candidates in with Republican John McCain and criticized the lot of them for supporting excessive defense spending and failing to push for a single-payer health plan. Nader railed against "political bigotry," and suggested that people who "think that the country needs an infusion of freedom, democracy, choice, dissent" shouldn't have to "watch the two parties own all the voters and turn the government over to big business."
In truth, the eventual Democratic nominee is sure to disagree with McCain on a wide variety of issues - just as, on matters ranging from climate change to healthcare to Iraq, a President Al Gore would have pursued policies far different from those of George W. Bush. Most of Nader's former supporters seem to recognize this, which helps explain why his vote count dropped to less than 500,000 in 2004.

Not none o' my kids they ain‘t! Even the Freepers are aghast!

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Idaho Senator Larry Craig is currently seeking intern applications for the summer term, which runs from May to August. The application deadline is March 15, however if more time is needed for the application process, please contact Senator Craig's office for an extension. Craig offers paid internships within the Washington, D.C., office. Preference is given to Idaho applicants attending Idaho schools who are in their junior or senior years of college (including graduating seniors).

And finally, http:/

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.