Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 General Skepticism
 American primate -- can Creationists deal with it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  04:20:00  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course they can! Just wait 'till Ham & Dembski, & the rest get done with this find. It and the Bering Land Bridge that it's supposed to have trotted across will be shot down like an Autumn Mallard! The Bible in general and the Noah story in paticular mention no land bridges, therefore none ever existed, capice?
Leaping, furry mini-monkeys that were as small as mice crossed the Bering land bridge long before humans, representing North America's oldest known primates.

This new claim is based on the fossils of at least three individuals of this previously unknown species of extinct primate uncovered at a site near Meridian, Miss., scientists announced today. The researcher estimates the primate fossils date to about 55.8 million years ago.

If the age of the fossils is accurate, the new finding could indicate that early primates migrated across the land bridge that once connected Siberia with Alaska long before Homo sapiens that arrived some 12,000 to 14,000 years ago. The teeny primate crossover from Asia happened during the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum when global temperatures rose at a rate and magnitude similar to today's global warming.

"The primate itself appears new to science, and is thus a welcome addition to what is still a small 'Red Hot' fauna in Mississippi," said Philip Gingerich of the Museum of Paleontology at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, who wasn't involved in the recent discovery. "The site has the potential to be important, but the importance depends to some extent on whether it is really the age the author claims or not."

Called Teilhardina magnoliana, the mini monkey-like creature weighed just an ounce (28 grams) and would have leapt across treetops to snatch up insects and fruits.
Actually, it's not primate-kin to us at all; it's just another stupid tree-rat so it doesn't matter how old the beastie is! And besides, It couldn't be any more than 6,000 yo, anyway.

It probably looked something like this:

Isn't that cute? Doesn't it just make you want to catch it and cuddle it, and donate it to the Reptile House to feed the Boomslang?

I've gotta go to the VA Hospital today and I'm not in the mood for more Darwinian bullshit!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  04:44:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That traveling primate is something I'd never heard of. I'd assumed that very early monkeys had crossed from Africa to South America via vegetation rafts. But these little guys seem to have scouted out the territory for the much later human migration over Beringia. Fascinating.

Good luck with the VA, Fil! It must be a delight to deal with that overwhelmed, understaffed, and under-funded insult to those who fought our nation's wars. In a possible parallel, I just finished getting my first Social Security payment, after fighting incompetent, uncaring, and outright lying bureaucrats since August of last year. To at last succeed, I needed the assistance of the office of Congresswoman Anna Eshoo (D-CA), whose staffers sorted it all out within a week or so.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/04/2008 04:46:02
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.