General Skepticism
 "six inches of glass" my ass!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  08:18:10  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Link

Take a look at this photo, some moron is trying to save his job I guess. "six inches of glass, capable of withstanding a mortar attack" Sorry but there is clearly no more than 3/4 inch of glass in this photo and no 3/4 glass could withstand a bullet let alone a mortar attack.

Gotta call out the liars.

Edit: I tried to post a comment on there but the anti-spamming code would not load for me, somebody call them out please.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 03/03/2008 08:23:26

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  08:29:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yikes! Can you imagine... out for the day with Mom and Dad visiting the zoo, watching the cute ploar bear swimming around the moat when suddenly - BAM he's in your face with a mouthfull of teath, loudly banging up against the way-less-than-six-inch glass causing the whole thing to shake.

That kid is going to need a lifetime of psychiatric attention. (Too bad its all a sham, eh? )

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  09:03:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Link

Take a look at this photo, some moron is trying to save his job I guess. "six inches of glass, capable of withstanding a mortar attack" Sorry but there is clearly no more than 3/4 inch of glass in this photo and no 3/4 glass could withstand a bullet let alone a mortar attack.

Gotta call out the liars.

Edit: I tried to post a comment on there but the anti-spamming code would not load for me, somebody call them out please.
I am in complete agreement with the first comment:
What did you think was going to happen when it grew up? Quit misleading the younger generation that everything will remain cute and cuddly.
I've had to deal with too many 'pet' raccons, & foxes, among others, that got to be too much to handle. Guess what state law orders the rescuer to do once they are given the animal.....

The glass, common to most zoological exibits is either 3/4" or an inch (with serpents, it is sometimes 1/2"). It is bullet-proof, although a high velocity shot from high-powered rifle will penetrate it. But even at that, it won't shatter. It's really great stuff, but a mortar attack? Nah.

What we have here is simply another reporter trying to get a good fluff story together and so at least partially earn his paycheck, blithering about something that he knows nothing of and is too shiftless to research it. Idjit!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Risendemonx

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  12:00:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Risendemonx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Sorry but there is clearly no more than 3/4 inch of glass in this photo and no 3/4 glass could withstand a bullet let alone a mortar attack.

I'm not entirely convinced by that picture that the glass is that thin. I've seen many panes of thick glass that seem much thinner than they actually are, due to refraction.

Often times, the way the light bends in the glass will make the pane look thinner than it actually is, and from the angle that the picture was taken, it's really hard to get a feeling for the actual thickness of the glass.

I'm not convinced that they would allow a 3/4 inch of glass with that large of a surface area to hold back a full sized polar bear

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move."
--
Douglas Adams, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  12:57:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well as stated, its not just plain ol glass, Im sure its three-layered, tempered, has a shatter resistant coating and is at a level where the bear will need to jump to get to it. Im not worried about the glass breaking, just the BS reporting. That glass isnt more than an inch though, certainly no where near six inches.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

BlueCollarScientist

23 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  12:30:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit BlueCollarScientist's Homepage Send BlueCollarScientist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my good friend Jane Redmond just submitted a comment about the glass thickness successfully, but it is being held for "review," so if it doesn't show up, its the editors not wanting to make their reporter look bad who are doing it.

http://bluecollarscientist.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.