Politics
 Petition to get rid of Sally Kerns.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  19:13:02  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the woman who both rants against homosexuals and who is responsible for the anti-science bill House Bill 2211 that I mentioned in that other thread

I can't sign it, since I'm Canadian, but for those who can, here it is.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 03/10/2008 19:13:43

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  19:26:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Booting her out of office prematurely is exactly what she wants - to become a martyr for the straight agenda. Listen to her say that she's putting herself in jeopardy just by saying what she says.

The petition isn't the answer. It'll just firm her resolve and that of her base, as well. It feeds into her nonsense about being under attack from the gays.

Run a strong, female, moderate conservative against her in the next election, with lots of talk about Jesus' forgiveness and love. That'll boot her in such a way that she won't be able to squawk as much.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  19:46:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I disagree, Dave. Let her be a real martyr, even if she loves to consider herself such. Such jerks' paranoia should not effect the actions needed to remove dangerous bigots from office. None of that means a strong challenger can't be run against her, later, if she' still in office. But the present bigotry must not be allowed to pass without the strongest possible action.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  20:06:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As an Oklahoman, I'm ashamed this even got that far. I've known for awhile that the state was knee-deep in a brand of fundamentalism that was steeped in the Dark Ages. But i had no idea it could get so bad so quickly. Let's hope that the Oklahoma Senate doesn't cave to the Christian right as mindlessly as its House...
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  21:37:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I signed. But I goofed and my remarks were not included. So I guess I'll post them here.

Me:
Theocrats like Sally Kern do not understand what America is supposed to be about. What does it matter if we fight against governments like the Taliban, or are disturbed by Shiite rule in Iran when right here, right now, we have people like Sally Kern attempting to relieve us of freedoms that many Americans have fought and died for? She said that gays have “infiltrated” local governments. Doesn't she mean elected to serve? Not too many years ago, it would have been unthinkable for a woman to be a sitting member of congress. Did she get there by “infiltrating” that branch of government? Or was she elected to serve?

I don't understand how government run by the dictates of the quran or the bible are different. Any government based on a single religion will be oppressive. Sally Kern is free to believe as she likes, but when she tries to codify her religious beliefs into law, she is being un-American.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  21:43:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What needs to happen is criminal prosecution in TX of the people who drafted, sponsored, voted for, and singed the bill into law. It is obviously, blatantly unconstitutional, and all those responsible are guilty of violating their oaths of office, which is perjury in the US and treason/high crime in some places.

If that happens, then maybe the Oklahoma version (and the versions I'm sure are floating around in other states) won't make it to a vote.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Edited by - Dude on 03/10/2008 22:08:42
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  06:37:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I disagree, Dave. Let her be a real martyr, even if she loves to consider herself such. Such jerks' paranoia should not effect the actions needed to remove dangerous bigots from office. None of that means a strong challenger can't be run against her, later, if she' still in office. But the present bigotry must not be allowed to pass without the strongest possible action.
Bigotry isn't a crime, and if the people knowingly elected a bigot, then they've got the representation that they want. People and peers who see the bigotry and don't agree with it should simply marginalize her. If she fails in her legislative duties because nobody will make deals with her, it'll be all the easier to replace her next election. The folks who voted her in may realize, "well we wanted a bigot but a bigot can't pass the laws we want."

Doing something special to her - especially if it's a punishment - will put her into a welcome limelight. It's giving her a larger soapbox from which to spew her venom.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  06:55:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose we'll just have to agree that we disagree about this, Dave.

I didn't say, and don't think, that Sally Kern's bigotry makes her a criminal. I support her legal right to such speech, but there should also be a sharp response to show her that decent people listen to her crap.

My feeling is that when bigots like this push, if you don't push back as hard as you can, you are only encouraging them to do even worse. Any attempt to put her out of office should be tried. Failing in such an attempt is much better that just letting this crap go. They should be on notice that their power could be taken away from them for their actions, and for their hate speech.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/11/2008 06:56:30
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  09:56:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know you didn't say that her bigotry makes her a criminal, but if Oklahoma's House is set up anything like the Federal House, the only way to really push her out is to make stick some criminal charge. 'Cause she's proud of what she said, and people only resign for such things when shame is involved, or if the spotlight is going to take away from a legislative agenda (but this is her agenda).

And I'm certainly not saying "let it go." I'm saying that the current strategy will backfire because it's precisely what she wants. Being boldly driven out of her job before her term is up by gays and gay supporters will be taken - by her and her supporters - as evidence that she is correct.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  10:30:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.
And I'm certainly not saying "let it go." I'm saying that the current strategy will backfire because it's precisely what she wants. Being boldly driven out of her job before her term is up by gays and gay supporters will be taken - by her and her supporters - as evidence that she is correct.
Dave, Kern and her supporters are already certain they are correct. Victory or defeat, anything that occurs and whatever the response, it will be taken by them that they are righteously following God's will. There is no room for anything to "backfire" since their course is set regardless of anything else that happens.

The folks who voted her in may realize, "well we wanted a bigot but a bigot can't pass the laws we want."
Not a chance. No more than a few setbacks in court have convinced creationists to stop trying to push creationism in public schools. These people are not reasonable. They are only conditioned to understand one thing: power. Will driving her out of her term early fuel a martyr complex? It's of no concern. Of primary importance, it must be made clear that she and her supporters lack the power to accomplish what they wish to accomplish. Back in the darkness of their churches, they can whine and wail and gnash their teeth all they want about how the gay agenda thwarted their aims. So long as their aims are thwarted, I don't care.

The last thing I want to do is give these people the idea that a politician can spew these sorts of hateful, ignorant comments and continue to serve in a public capacity. That's a validation of their goals to a degree that I'm very uncomfortable conceding to them.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  12:00:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still like my plan to prosecute (for perjury) the Texans who sponsored, voted for, and signed the TX version.

Deliberately violating your oath of office is a crime.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.