Darwin at the Royal Ontario Museum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  18:26:19  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's Toronto's turn for this traveling exhibit, so we took the kids down to see it on the weekend. I think that anyone who is interested in the subject and the history of evolutionary thought will enjoy it, especially when one can view at close range some of Darwin's own instruments and collections. Even those of us who put no stock in the supernatural will feel the presence of the gentleman, humans seem to easily feel connections through such things.

A couple of minor gripes and one major; one of the audio-visual displays is in need of sub-titles, as it is overpowered by the sounds around it and by another film running continuously nearby. Also, if I had seen the phrase "The H.M.S. Beagle" once more I would have had a fit, glad I was army and not navy. Puttin "the" in front of H.M.S. is grammatically incorrect because when read out in full it becomes "The Her Majesty's Ship", an auditory abomination.

The major gripe is about the ROM dropping the ball when they displayed the lineage of the dog. While convergent evolution is briefly mentioned elsewhere in the exhibit, here was an opportunity to put their best foot forward and they didn't. I know for sure that the museum possesses a skull of Thylacinus cynocephalus, a marsupial which has an uncanny resemblance to the placental Canid group, and it could have made for a powerful display of the concept. Maybe I'll contact the curator and put a word in his ear.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds.