Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  16:47:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting, interesting. But sometimes complexity can lead to odd-ball specialization that would be fatal to the species if something in it's environment were to radically change -- altered food chain, new predator, deteriorating climate, & so forth. An example might be the Kakapo, a flightless parrot native to NZ. These are no less complex than any other Psittaciforme, but it had the misfortune to end up in a virtually predator-less environment. Today, it has a total population of only 86, rigidly protected individuals. So complexity alone is not the answer to species immortality.

The fossil record is filled with complex species that ultimately couldn't make it -- the Megefauna come to mind, as do Triassic dinosaurs such as Stegosaurus and Diplodocus, The Trilobites of the Cambrian, one of the most successful crustations ever, were all but gone well before the Permian Extinction.

But as has been shown, a species can become less complex, as the Kakapo is starting to do and blind cave species, particularly eyeless fish, already have done, to an extent at least. This shows that small, pocket populations in special environments are much more likely to do this, and t'other way 'round. But as they are isolated, they cannot be used as an example of a species as a whole.

Darwin's Finches are particularly interesting in this regard. They are about as complex as any other finch, but have evolved into specialized niches in an isolated environment. The question is, have they become so specialized that they couldn't survive in their original habitat?

I really don't know where I'm going with this, so I'll hang it up now...

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Jan

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  17:27:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Jan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

This is an interesting bit of research. In a nut shell, organisms tend to evolve toward greater complexity but almost never toward lesser complexity. Why would that be?

Life becomes more and more complex, evolution study finds Tue

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Life, as it evolves, becomes increasingly complex and rarely less so, a study of evolution by British and Canadian researchers has found.

In the study out Monday researchers looked back 550 million years in the fossil catalogue from today, checking several evolutionary branches of the crustacean family tree to see where animals evolved that became simpler than their ancestors.

But instead they found organisms that developed increasingly complicated structures and characteristics.

"If you start with the simplest possible animal body, then there's only one direction to evolve in, you have to become more complex," said Dr Matthew Wills from the Department of Biology & Biochemistry at the University of Bath who worked with colleagues Sarah Adamowicz from the University of Waterloo, Canada, and Andy Purvis from Imperial College London.

"Sooner or later, however, you reach a level of complexity where it's possible to go backwards and become simpler again," he said.

"What's astonishing is that hardly any crustaceans have taken this backwards route," added Wills. "Instead, almost all branches have evolved in the same direction, becoming more complex in parallel.

"This is the nearest thing to a pervasive evolutionary rule that's been found."

Adamowicz noted that "looking at many independent branches is similar to viewing multiple repeated runs of the tape of evolution.

"Our results apply to a group of animals with bodies made of repeated units. We must not forget that bacteria, very simple organisms, are among the most successful living things. Therefore, the trend towards complexity is compelling but does not describe the history of all life," she said.

A couple thoughts:

#1. It seems like increased complexity is not necessarily the best way to go - doesn't more complexity mean more opportunities for things to go wrong? Shouldn't evolution prefer simplicity wherever possible?

#2. That said, the vast majority of organisms, like the trillion or so bacteria helping me digest my breakfast right now, are, and have remained for the history of life on Earth, very simple.

#3. But #2 isn't the same as going from simple to more complex back to simple again. They simply stayed fairly simple because increased complexity was not required for survival in perpetuity.

So does the increased complexity over decreased complexity rule stand? More research required? Assuming it does stand, anyone have any ideas why?

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080318/sc_afp/usbiologycanadabritain_080318162118
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  19:25:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jan? What's up?

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  19:29:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you measure success by longevity before extinction, do complex species do better or worse than less complex?

EDIT: What's the most complex species known to exist today?

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 03/20/2008 19:30:08
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  19:33:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

EDIT: What's the most complex species known to exist today?
How do you define "complex?"

Some ferns have over 600 chromosomes, compared to our measly 46.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  19:48:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know. Hasn't Filthy answered that yet?

Filthy: What is complex?

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  19:53:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In this instance you have to use the author's supplied definition of "complex".

They are going with: (well, you can get the gist of it anyway)
"But instead they found organisms that developed increasingly complicated structures and characteristics."

So obviously they are not basing their "complexity" on total number of base pairs.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  02:45:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't know. Hasn't Filthy answered that yet?

Filthy: What is complex?
Hell, I don't know, either -- as relating to what?

Back in the day, some 350 to 500 mya, this animal was about as complex as it got, and remains comparable in complexity to crabs today, albeit 'primitive' and quite different. But is it more or less 'complex' than a tiny Barnacle adhered to it's carapace?

What is 'Complex?' Thinking in mechanical terms, it might mean more moving parts to accomplish a certain task more efficiently -- a side-valve engine as opposed to one of equal displacement that uses an overhead camshaft; a sledge-hammer as opposed to a trip-hammer.

Does that hold true in biology? Well, yes & no. I would submit that Cetaceans are a lot more 'complex' than their terrestrial ancestors but yet, have fewer 'moving parts.'

I think that biological 'complexity' should refer to the survival & reproductive processes -- mechanical & chemical -- of species within their Orders, all outside factors a given. But don't ask me how to evaluate it.

I think I'm getting a migrain..... Why are you doing this to me?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  05:47:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

I think I'm getting a migrain..... Why are you doing this to me?

It's Dave's fault.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  09:20:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe we can define complexity by a purely mathematica approach using graph theory. Let every protien in an organism be a vertex, and when two protiens work together, let there be an edge between their two verticies. Also, let there be an edge from every protien to itself (this is known as a loop). Then we shall say the complexity number n is the number of edges in the graph.

Perhaps there should be an edge for every way that two protiens interact. Perhaps enzymes should be included too. In any case, I like the general idea of it...

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 03/21/2008 09:22:01
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  12:02:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

In this instance you have to use the author's supplied definition of "complex".

They are going with: (well, you can get the gist of it anyway)
"But instead they found organisms that developed increasingly complicated structures and characteristics."
Which is totally unhelpful of the Yahoo story since they don't publish the researchers' "complicated" metric. "Complicated" isn't exactly a strictly quantified biological term.
So obviously they are not basing their "complexity" on total number of base pairs.
No, I just threw that out there as an indication of how complex the idea of complexity is.
Originally posted by Ricky

In any case, I like the general idea of it...
I do, too. Write it up and carry out some measurements. You've got four days (can't let it interfere with your chat hosting duties). By the way: enzymes are proteins.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.