General Skepticism
 Campaign to save Windows XP!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  06:17:39  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check it out here. I'm sure it's a cause that you'll all find worthy and will immediately jump in to help out.

In the meantime, for those who refuse, I'll just torture your eyes with this.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  06:40:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Check it out here. I'm sure it's a cause that you'll all find worthy and will immediately jump in to help out.
Argh! At least there's no blinking text.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  07:06:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good god-- is that page some sort of subtle internet joke or is it for real? It should be burned at the stake.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  08:12:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I get is this for that last link:
havenworks.com Temporarily Unavailable

This account has surpassed its bandwidth allocation at the present time. You may reach the account administrator at www@havenworks.com

Just somewhat curious to see what's there, cause I don't give a crap about XP or Vista.

One thing I noticed in the interview in the second link was the guy complained about the Vista interface not being familiar to XP users, who are used to doing things a certain way with everything easy to find, because in XP they knew where they were.

When Apple made it's complete departure from its old OS to OSX, they made sure to create an environment that was familiar, even while being different. That is to say, OSX blows classic away with what it can and does do, but the interface is still very MAC like. Isn't it just common sense to not want to confuse the users by creating an environment that the user understands from the git-go? I don't know if Vista is better or as good as OSX, but the complaint that the guy expressed was not one that Mac users felt a need to express after Apple's biggest upgrade....

Just wondering...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  09:19:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I now get "HavenWorks.com IMAGES are OFF temporarily because of extremely high traffic," but can still see all the horrendous design around where those images should be. Try again, Kil.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  23:33:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good grief. Havenworks is formatted too wide even for display on my new 1920-pixel-wide monitor.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  04:36:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

So it is possible to do web design in crayon.

Originally posted by kil

One thing I noticed in the interview in the second link was the guy complained about the Vista interface not being familiar to XP users, who are used to doing things a certain way with everything easy to find, because in XP they knew where they were.
No shit, features got moved. File/text search no longer works as it once did. 3 months later and I am still not off my XP laptop.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  08:16:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Windows' file/text search has had problems since XP (at least), with it refusing to search inside any file that lacks a plain text persistent handler (for example, ASP files) without doing a registry tweak.

I've moved to a free Windows Explorer replacement called "Total Commander" because of such limitations. Works great under Vista.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  10:55:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I'll go for Vista. When XP reaches end of the line, I'll probably move to Linux.
I've seen a recent Ubuntu-release and I was impressed.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  12:06:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Caveat: I always go for the latest MS OS. I need all the bells and whistles for running games, and I need a recent Windows OS for compatibility with applications. I'm willing to struggle with the terrors of early adoption.

I'm running a Vista system and am very happy. True, I had to go through a period of waiting for decent device drivers at first, but now all is smooth. I recall hearing the same kinds of criticisms of earlier Windows versions as I'm now hearing about Vista. I think many of the "I'll never use Vista" people are the same folks who said they'd never use Win XP (or Win 2000, Win 98, or Win 95).

I never saw so few system crashes before having Vista. Only one BSOD in a year. Vista, and device drivers for it in general, seem quite mature now. Vista does require more hardware power, but I think that mixed blessing is generally a good thing for computing.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/08/2008 12:09:48
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  12:44:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use Vista 64bit and it runs fantastic. If it weren't for games, though, I would be running Kubuntu (KDE version of Ubuntu).

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  19:03:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I don't think I'll go for Vista. When XP reaches end of the line, I'll probably move to Linux.
I've seen a recent Ubuntu-release and I was impressed.

I'll give two solid thumbs up for the 7.x Ubuntu releases.

Because of the various places I work, I'm always switching between Windows and Unix distributions. IMHO, for the casual desktop user, Windows has had an edge for a long time, but that's changing.

I use Linux for most tasks on most of my "personal" machines these days, and have a nice Ubuntu based media server box running at home. My not quite 4 year old can use it (when she stands on a chair to reach the touch screen). I recently moved my wife over to using Ubuntu too. The dual monitor setup may have sweetened the deal somewhat, but she's far from a power user, and has no real complaints so far, apart from a minor gripe or two about things being "different".

Originally posted by moakley

No shit, features got moved. File/text search no longer works as it once did. 3 months later and I am still not off my XP laptop.

Sure, but did they get moved for better or for worse? Getting used to anything new makes you less efficient for a while, but sometimes the change is well worth negotiating the learning curve. I'm not a heavy Vista user, I look after a few vista based offices and such, but what I've seen has been mostly OK. Apart from the driver / legacy software support, which has been dismal, although this isn't Microsoft's fault. Don't get me started on that.

As Dave has suggested, there are much better explorer / search utilities available. If you're a reasonably serious user, it's worth spending a bit of time looking/trying a few things and seeing what you like.

At home, I have 1 windows 2000 machine, 1 XP machine, 2 Ubuntu desktops, 1 Ubuntu media center, an XP/Ubuntu dual boot laptop, an XCFE laptop, and a bunch of ancient PC's which get re-tasked to various server/programming projects as necessary, running everything from MS-DOS or Windows 95 through to low spec Unix based systems.

Lots of people get really incensed about their favourite OS. Personally, I use whatever makes life simpler or just gets the job done. I love open source stuff, but have no problems paying for and using Microsoft (and other proprietary) stuff where it's appropriate. So far I've no compelling reason to go to Vista, but it'll happen sooner or later.

I haven't really mentioned macs, coz I've never been a big user of 'em. When I have used 'em, it's been an OK experience, but my mac knowledge is mediocre at best, although improving as their OS's become more unix-like (and less wonky, eh Dave!).

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  19:50:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JohnOAS

So far I've no compelling reason to go to Vista, but it'll happen sooner or later.
If this were 20 years ago and my job depended upon knowing the hardware intimately enough that I would know the prices and performance of numerous individual components almost off the top of my head, I would probably still be putting together computers for personal use from pieces/parts purchased separately and saving lots of money doing so (heck, my company was once a Microsoft dealer, so I could get Windows 3.11 pretty cheap). I no longer live in that far-away time, however, and I don't have the time or inclination to learn all that crap over again. And so, I made the switch to Vista when I walked into the local store of a national electronics retailing chain, pointed to a Gateway computer that was middle-of-the-road in price and had a decent deal when bought with a monitor, and said to a clerk, "gimme one of those." I spent the extra money to save myself time and effort, so I wasn't about to go through the exercise of downgrading or changing the OS.

My only serious complaint about Vista is that networking Vista with XP isn't easy. In fact, I found it easier to sneaker-net the files off my old machine onto this one because Microsoft's offered solution for the networking incompatibilities failed to work the first time I tried it. I haven't bothered to try again yet, because it's always been easier just to email files to myself as a transfer method (for example, when I need to print something - which I try to avoid anyway). Of course, it's quite likely that I've spent more time writing this post than it would take to really fix the network problem, but then what would I have to gripe about?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.