New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

emsby
Skeptic Friend

76 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  06:29:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send emsby a Private Message
Originally posted by Starman

Best video ever!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaGgpGLxLQw&eurl

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008/03/if_you_heard_my_voice_you_know.php
http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2008/03/28/creationism-thats-a-rap/

I have to say that I'm with HH on this one. When he showed it to me, my first reaction was that it was a disinterested third party making fun of both sides. I would also not be surprised if it were a Creationist ploy. What would shock me is if it turned out to be made by "Evilutionists." It really just doesn't come across to me that way at all. But I suppose we shall see eventually.

Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  11:57:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
I think it is this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nigRT2KmCE

Can't be completely sure, but it seems like it to me.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  12:59:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
It's a possibility, Dude.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  13:37:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Just make sure to read the lyrics of a few other of his songs while you are there. Make sure you get a real sample, Dave.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  13:40:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Originally posted by Dude

Just make sure to read the lyrics of a few other of his songs while you are there. Make sure you get a real sample, Dave.
What, you think he wasn't doing a satire with "Origin?"

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  14:00:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
I absolutely do think its satire/parody.

But the brevity of your post makes it impossible to discern your opinion, so you could have been saying the lyrics should be taken literally.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  18:50:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
No, just agreeing with you.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  19:08:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Well then.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  20:19:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
About 20 seconds in I thought it was a Creationist thing making fun of atheists as arrogant, but then many little details convinced me that this was something made by an atheist for internal consumption, that is, to make other atheists laugh. Obviously something like this would do nothing to convince someone not already on the side of Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens, Dennet, etc.

My brain kept telling me to not like this video 'cause nothing in it even suggests why science is superior (if assumes the viewer is either already clued or clueless and therefore hopeless), but my sense of humor and personal atheist convictions had me laughing my ass off. Honestly, I can't help but enjoy watching this thing.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 03/31/2008 20:20:10
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  09:49:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
I don't know what to make of this.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  10:09:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Rick Rolled. Sigh.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  20:24:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
I feel like this would make a good poll:

Beware the Believers is...

A) A sharp, intelligent mocking of common (and unfounded) creationist accusations. No way those idiots could come up with something this hip or funny. It's pro-evolution all the way.

B) Obviously some creationists' failed attempt to paint all scientists as exclusionary atheists. Possibly a bit of viral marketing for the upcoming Expelled film.

C) Too close to call. The lack of a clear message seems to indicate this was created by someone who thinks both sides--creationists and evolutionists alike--are both wrong.

Feel free to change any wording in the final poll if the powers that be decide to put one up.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 04/01/2008 20:24:55
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  20:58:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
HH, I think the lyrics (the content of them) is what to consider here. If they were aiming at a creationist audience, they missed by a mile. The lyrics are filled with references that would baffle 99.9% of the creationist audience.

If you can say one thing about the makers of Expelled (from the reviews I have read) they know their target audience well.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  12:51:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I see it as a very poorly done attack on science. Probably another clumsy attempt by the DI/Expelled people to pump up their propaganda film.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  15:13:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
I honestly don't know how you guys are drawing that conclusion. I've watched it a dozen times now, read a transcript of the lyrics several times.... trying to see it as an attack on science and scientists.

To me it is just to sophisticated, and even if the intent is what Half and HH think it is, the effect is the opposite. Every time I watch it I see a parody of creationist criticism/attacks on the academics featured in the video, not an attack on those academics.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.