Happy Jihad's Happy Fatwah on AiG Contest
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  16:59:29  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is actually for real and it's funnier than a truck load of, well, whatever's a funny load.

"Happy Jihad's Happy Fatwah on Answers in Genesis Contest!!

If you can't get peer-reviewed by an established and respectable journal, why not start your own journal? Hey, that's what the misguided, delusional twits at Answers in Genesis are doing in their new online journal, Answers Research Journal. (It has "research" in the title so you know that it's peer-reviewed.) This is a clear attempt to give a pernicious and bankrupt theory the veneer of respectability.

Here's their pitch to potential authors:

[...] Answers Research Journal will provide scientists and students the results of cutting-edge research that demonstrates the validity of the young-earth model, the global Flood, the non-evolutionary origin of “created kinds,” and other evidences that are consistent with the biblical account of origins.

Keeping in mind that this is the organization responsible for the disgraceful Creation Museum, I am issuing a challenge to the skeptical community and to those of you interested in maintaining high standards in American science education. The first biologist, historian, anthropologist, archaeologist, or astronomer (or fake biologist, historian, anthropologist, archaeologist, or astronomer) who can get a crank paper published in the Answers Research Journal and reveals their hoax on this site will win...a very special award to be determined later! (Think $30 Amazon/Borders gift certificate or something.) This contest remains open until 1/9/09. You must be 18 years old or older and be able to read to claim the prize."

Bolding in the original.

You gotta hand it to AiG; they never give up. Too bad their efforts are so ludicrous.

On a related note, Texas might not be quite as screwed up as we'd thought:

From Nature:

A religious group has had its application to offer Master of Science degrees rejected by Texas authorities. The Institute for Creation Research— which backs a literal interpretation of the Bible, including the creation of Earth in six days — was seeking a certificate to grant online degrees in science education in Texas (see Nature 451, 1030; 2008). But the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board voted unanimously last week not to grant the institute's request, following the recommendation of Raymund Paredes, the state's commissioner of higher education. “Religious belief is not science,” Paredes said in his recommendation. “Science and religious belief are surely reconcilable, but they are not the same thing.” The institute has 45 days to appeal or 180 days to reapply.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/30/2008 17:00:33

Risendemonx

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  07:59:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Risendemonx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
damn, they stole my idea. I was already thinking about trying to put together a "young earth geological model" for petroleum formation. I work in geology, so I should be able to lay on the big money words, because you know... the more big words you use, the more scientific it is... ;-)

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move."
--
Douglas Adams, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  08:05:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Risendemonx

damn, they stole my idea. I was already thinking about trying to put together a "young earth geological model" for petroleum formation. I work in geology, so I should be able to lay on the big money words, because you know... the more big words you use, the more scientific it is... ;-)
What's stopping you? Go for it!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Risendemonx

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  08:40:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Risendemonx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh, i'm still going to work on it, just have to find the time :-P

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move."
--
Douglas Adams, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  08:52:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Risendemonx

Agreein' with Kil. Lay a good'n on 'em, Ham'll love you for it and invite you to see the Splended Museum of Silly Apologetics out there in KY.

I'm playing with the idea of doing the same and even have a genuine study in mind (one of my own -- serpent intergrade ranges -- that almost panned out, but didn't -- dammit!), and I can speak the language. Haven't decided yet -- there's plenty of time.

I think Ham will be buried in this sort of thing and soon be shitcanning papers with scarcly more than a glance. To get accepted, the writing must be done carefully and references, bullshit and otherwise, needs be convincing.

What a pity it won't still be going next April.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.