Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  20:56:39  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Al Gore contemplates the low-energy, high-lumen light source he may bring to transform the dark morass of Democratic Politics!

Al Gore has been floating tiny little noncommittal trial bubbles the last few days, appearing on many talking-head cable and network shows, a situation indicating that he may really be contemplating an entry back into Democratic politics, if the current dead heat continues past Pennsylvania into the summer.

The way-out-long-shot scenario would see him as appearing in Denver as a third-ballot choice (a large block of uncomitteds witholding support for either candidate on the first two counts), emerging as a not-so-dark horse compromise to both the Obama and Clinton camps as an acceptable alternative to either of them and presumably bringing much-needed unity to the party!

Granted, this is really an unlikely possibility and I am in no way trying to present it as probable, or even feasible, but I am curious as to what opinions folks here at SFN have of Al as a candidate, compared to either Hillary or Obama, and ultimately - taking the fantasy to culmination - as a president!

Would you like to see Gore as the Democratic nominee for the Presidency? Especially if either Hillary or Obama had to win the nomination by a squeaking margin or hip-pocket super delegate votes?

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  23:32:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Al Gore has been floating tiny little noncommittal trial bubbles the last few days, appearing on many talking-head cable and network shows, a situation indicating that he may really be contemplating an entry back into Democratic politics, if the current dead heat continues past Pennsylvania into the summer.

Or maybe he is pimping for his new media campaign on warming and energy.

Would you like to see Gore as the Democratic nominee for the Presidency? Especially if either Hillary or Obama had to win the nomination by a squeaking margin or hip-pocket super delegate votes?

Al should have run for the nomination. If he goes to the convention and ends up the nominee, I don't think he'd be able to win the presidency. To many disaffected, pissed off, angry liberals will remember that Jonny-Mac used to be an appealing candidate in 2000 before Bush assassinated him (and then force converted him), and would end up staying home on election day or going to vote for McCain instead of Al.

The dems have really screwed up their nomination process. What the hell! Super-delegates, more than a simple delegate majority to win the nomination, "punishing" Florida and Michigan... these people are so stupid I wonder why I would vote for them sometimes. I know I wouldn't vote for them if there were any other real choices.

If I were religious I'd pray for a Bloomberg/Hagel independent ticket. Privately funded, experienced, intelligent, competent....

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  14:23:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude.....

Or maybe he is pimping for his new media campaign on warming and energy.
"Pimping" generally implies some form of prostitution. Do you feel Gore is some kind of prostitute, or pimp for a prostituted cause, or that his project of Global Warming warning is some sort of commercial, for-profit commercial scheme - i.e. selling an idea for profit? I am not stating that this is what your opinion is, Dude, I am asking what your opinion is concerning Al Gore and whether you believe he is qualified and would be an acceptable choice for president.

To many disaffected, pissed off, angry liberals will remember that Jonny-Mac used to be an appealing candidate in 2000 before Bush assassinated him (and then force converted him), and would end up staying home on election day or going to vote for McCain instead of Al.
Well, my opinion is a little different; McCain will be properly presented as a Bush clone, and no liberal worth the label would vote for any kind of continuation of those policies!
The dems have really screwed up their nomination process. What the hell! Super-delegates, more than a simple delegate majority to win the nomination, "punishing" Florida and Michigan...
Dude, for a refreshing change, I couldn't agree more with you on this!
I know I wouldn't vote for them if there were any other real choices.
Yep, but it has to be a ticket that can beat McCain!
If I were religious I'd pray for a Bloomberg/Hagel independent ticket. Privately funded, experienced, intelligent, competent....
A great theoretical choice, but....Bloomberg is largely unknown in the South, Midwest. Mountain States and the West Coast - other than a New York investment broker, and financial services software magnate. A Republican turned Independent, he stated in February: "I listened carefully to those who encouraged me to run, but I am not — and will not be — a candidate for president." Hagel is well known as a liberal Republican. Good choice for a bi-partisan ticket, but it ain't gonna happen!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  16:06:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bng said:
"Pimping" generally implies some form of prostitution. Do you feel Gore is some kind of prostitute, or pimp for a prostituted cause, or that his project of Global Warming warning is some sort of commercial, for-profit commercial scheme - i.e. selling an idea for profit? I am not stating that this is what your opinion is, Dude, I am asking what your opinion is concerning Al Gore and whether you believe he is qualified and would be an acceptable choice for president.

You will have to deal with your cultural shortcomings on your own. I know you are old, but can you really be so old that you aren't actually aware of the current casual usage and connotations of "Pimp"?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  16:53:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude.....

can you really be so old that you aren't actually aware of the current casual usage and connotations of "Pimp"?

Yes. I would appreciate your listing all acceptable definitions and usages of "pimp" and "pimping"! I am a student of language, and I need all the definitions I can get.
Edited by - bngbuck on 04/01/2008 16:56:28
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  17:16:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck
I am a student of language, and I need all the definitions I can get.
Then bookmark the Urban Dictionary for all those times you fail to ken what a young whippersnapper is driving at. For instance, it defines the verb "pimp" thusly:
to pimp is to advertise (generally, in an enthusiastic sense) or to call attention in order to bring acclaim to something; to promote.

A friend creates a collage of ... Angelina Jolie's various tattoos ... you pimp the collage to others, so that they'll see her work.

But be warned: a lot of BS makes it onto the site as well. A voting system was implemented to address this. The better a definition's rating, the more accurate it generally is.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 04/01/2008 17:19:37
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  18:40:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Humbert.....

Thank you for coming out from behind that Queens' delicatessen and posting the link to the Urban Dictionary I guess the problem is not only antiquarianism but also the bucolic environment in which I currently reside. Panhandle Idaho is not exactly urban, in fact it is pretty damn rural by any standards! Beautiful, highly aesthetic, but definitely lumberjack country with a capital "C".

However, I frequently visit large cities that deserve the "Urban" apellation, and even the minor writing that I am currently doing no doubt reaches many in large metropolitan areas, so the reference will certainly be very valuable. Again, thanks. A useful tool!

Incidentally, Webster Unabridged defines "whippersnapper" as a diminutive, insignificant, or presumptuous person, wheras the Urban Dictionary defines the same word as 1. whippersnapper
A term generally used by old persons, to insult the younger generation, as in "Get off my damn lawn you whippersnappers!"

I really would not choose to use that term in either of it's definitions to describe Dude, unless we were joking, which activity we have not mutually enjoyed lately.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  06:46:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Incidentally, Webster Unabridged defines "whippersnapper" as a diminutive, insignificant, or presumptuous person, wheras the Urban Dictionary defines the same word as 1. whippersnapper
A term generally used by old persons, to insult the younger generation, as in "Get off my damn lawn you whippersnappers!"
In 1990, the Rolling Stones played a bunch of updated older hits during their "Steel Wheelchairs" tour, including "Hey, you, get off of my lawn!"

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  07:45:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To pimp something also means to "improve" something by adorning it with flamboyant ornate designs or equipment, preferably expensive items.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  07:48:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also a pimp as a person now means 'a confident bad-ass with style' in addition to it's traditional meaning.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  09:26:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't SFN wonderful? A post headed with an image of Al Gore with a halo develops into an extended discussion of the etymology of the word "pimp"! However, "a confident bad-ass with style" isn't all that bad as applied to Al Gore!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  10:00:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

To pimp something also means to "improve" something by adorning it with flamboyant ornate designs or equipment, preferably expensive items.
Thus the many pleas to Xzibit to Pimp My Ride.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  14:02:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. I would appreciate your listing all acceptable definitions and usages of "pimp" and "pimping"! I am a student of language, and I need all the definitions I can get.

In context it seemed pretty obvious to me that "pimping" meant marketing/advertising.

The idea of Gore stealing the nomination at the last moment, or even trying, seems ludicrous to me. Nice fodder for idle musings, but nothing more.

My opinion.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  15:24:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mycroft.....

The idea of Gore stealing the nomination at the last moment, or even trying, seems ludicrous to me. Nice fodder for idle musings, but nothing more.
No, Mycroft, the idea as I read it is that those who covet a Gore presidency would essentially "draft" Gore at the end of the first or second ballot, when Obama and Hillary were hopelessly deadlocked. Gore would appear to bow to overwhelming demand and reluctantly accept a draft. This would provide additional luster to his already incandescent halo (see above) and all dissent would cease.

Hillary and Bill would slink back to the political sidelines, Obama would accept the vice presidency as it has been structured by Dick Cheney (a co-presidency, at least), there would be a division of labor of presidential duties between Al and Barack and the left end of the Democratic Party, powerfully united, would march forward as the dominant force in American Politics for the rest of the century!

Now that's ludicrous! And it ain't gonna happen! But make no mistake, such plans have been laid and there is a very real possibility - please note that I did not say probability -that Gore will factor in somewhere before this Democratic mule and donkey show is over!

I am at a donor level where I get a certain amount of anemometer readings that are not public knowledge. Gore is dead serious about his save-the planet mission! Besides, it is propelling him toward billionaire status, and he is just as venal as any politician, because you have to be venal to be a politician! But.....

I lived in Nashville for two years. As a pariah in a strange Republican land, I was active in Democratic politics and I met Gore several times. I have no doubt that he is a politician first and an environmentalist second!

So what do you, or anybody here, think of him as a potential president?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  16:23:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that Gore would make an excellent president. I also think that he is far & away too smart to let himself get caught up in this particular, Democratic fuckup beyond an endorsment. I really don't think he'd win the General Election due largely to the spectical the Dems have made of themselves thus far. If he should get nominated, the general opinion, including mine, would be that they can't even decide who to run, let alone how to govern.

I'd vote for him because anything the Republicans might field would be worse by an order of magnitude.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  18:51:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy.....

Yeah, I've gotta agree. I don't think the Dems have gotten their suicide pistol aimed at the heart quite yet, but they sure as hell have shot the shit out of their toes, feet, and lower legs!

I can't believe this fucking Clinton! There was a time when I thought she would be a pretty good choice, but she and Blundering Bill have proven themselves to be such quintessential old-school political manipulators that I'd almost rather vote for Johnny-mac! No, take that back, I don't really mean it. McCain would be Bush reincarnated from Hell! I just pray to your Goog (good god) that they (H&B) cease and desist before it is too late!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.