Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  09:04:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boy, did the Democratic Party screw up when they restructured the primaries to get an early win for their leading candidate. (Hillary.) Talk about a backfire of epic proportions.

Unlike the GOP, party strategy has not, in recent times, been one of the DNC's strong suits. At times the playbook looks like Larry, Curley and Moe might have penned it, what with all the eye poking and head bopping going on. “Hi there, I'm Howard Dean, nyuk nyuk nyuk.”

Al Gore, possibly the most qualified person in the country for the job he doesn't want will most likely do some duty as straight man at the convention. If we're lucky, he will broker a deal that will put both Obama and Clinton on the November ballot, in some order yet to be determined. (And boy, if that happens it will be the result of some pretty serious arm twisting, the pain of which will not soon go away.)

It's just too late for a draft Gore and make him run scenario, I think. Even if he were the best choice qualification wise, his nomination at this point would represent a major defeat for those who have their hearts set on the candidates they have worked hard to nominate. It would be seen as a smokeless filled room stab in the back to all of those who see their candidate as nothing short of a revolution, based on either sex or race. And they would be right, from that perspective.

There is this. Once the dust settles where it does, will it still be possible to bring this coalition together and beat McCain? The poll numbers that we see now do not necessarily reflect what might happen when the Dems go head to head with a candidate who mostly represents more of the same. With the economy tanking, and with Iraq on people's minds, we are still looking at the perfect storm to run against. Time will tell, but I am still optimistic, fool that I am...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Pelayo
Skeptic Friend

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  16:17:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pelayo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If hell does freeze over and Al Gore gets the nomination, then after eight years, Democrats will finally quit carping about the 2000 election. Or maybe not.

Gore's qualified all right, just like Lyndon Johnson was.

I heard a rumor that Al Gore's feces do not have an odor.

I have a habit of posting without reading all previous comments, if I am repeating someone, well, excuse me, please.

"No tendency is quite so strong in human nature as the desire to lay down rules of conduct for other people." - William Howard Taft

"God ran out of new souls a long time ago and has been recycling jackasses." - Anon
Go to Top of Page

Pelayo
Skeptic Friend

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  16:48:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pelayo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Mycroft.....

As a pariah in a strange Republican land, I was active in Democratic politics and I met Gore several times.

Since you've met Mr. Gore, is it true that his feces have no odor?

I have lived 45 years out of my 61 in East Tennessee, I think you are mistaken about Davidson County being a Republican land. You should come to the Tri-Cities area or Knoxville, that's Rebublican land.

Three examples: 2004 results -

Davidson (Nashvile) 54.8% for Kerry, 44.5%, for Bush

Shelby (Memphis) 57.5% for Kerry, 41.9% for Bush

Knox (Knoxville) 37.0% for Kerry, 62.1% for Bush

Carter (Elizabethton) 28.7% for Kerry, 70.7% for Bush

Only Unicoi county is further east than Carter.

I have a habit of posting without reading all previous comments, if I am repeating someone, well, excuse me, please.

"No tendency is quite so strong in human nature as the desire to lay down rules of conduct for other people." - William Howard Taft

"God ran out of new souls a long time ago and has been recycling jackasses." - Anon
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  20:44:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pelayo:
I heard a rumor that Al Gore's feces do not have an odor.

Wow. Clever. Enough so to say it twice. I'm impressed. What other zingers have you got?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  21:29:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil said:
There is this. Once the dust settles where it does, will it still be possible to bring this coalition together and beat McCain? The poll numbers that we see now do not necessarily reflect what might happen when the Dems go head to head with a candidate who mostly represents more of the same. With the economy tanking, and with Iraq on people's minds, we are still looking at the perfect storm to run against. Time will tell, but I am still optimistic, fool that I am...

The dems can, and prob will, lose in November. Not because anyone will remember anything said in the primaries.. the attention span of the average US voter is maybe six seconds.

No, the dems can lose because they are stupid.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2008 :  21:44:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude:
The dems can, and prob will, lose in November. Not because anyone will remember anything said in the primaries.. the attention span of the average US voter is maybe six seconds.

Actually, a short attention span would work in our favor, I think. Especially if the country is in a recession. Nothing will cause a change of parties faster than a pain in the pocket book.
Dude:
No, the dems can lose because they are stupid.

Well, there is always that…

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  03:31:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The American voter is just as drunk and stupid as ever." ~~ A wise, indeed even a prescient observation from Nixon's head.

Many of the more purile supporters of Obama and Clinton say that they will go into a panty-wetting snit and vote for McCain if their candidate is not the nominee. They'll also hold their breath until their faces turn blue. With any luck at all, they'll fucking choke -- something to hope for.

Dude is correct, the Democrats are too stupid to win the White house and might well blow it in the Congressional races.

Think about it: how many Supreme Court justices in the mold of Alito and Thomas will be seated if this comes to pass?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Pelayo
Skeptic Friend

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  08:45:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pelayo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Think about it: how many Supreme Court justices in the mold of Alito and Thomas will be seated if this comes to pass?" by Filthy

If we are lucky, we'll have nine.

This not Skeptic Friends Newtork; it's a Democrat Mutual Admiration Society, aka Circle . . .

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  09:03:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
filthy:
Many of the more purile supporters of Obama and Clinton say that they will go into a panty-wetting snit and vote for McCain if their candidate is not the nominee.

They say that now. But do you think that their threat will match the current poll numbers once we have a nominee and the focus shifts to Bush's and McCain's similar economic and war policies? Right now there is a lot of emotion and righteous indignation showing up over the way the campaign is going. People are pissed off. But if Dude is correct, even though he sees a different likely scenario than I do, this battle over the nominee will be largely forgotten.

Don't get me wrong. I do not underestimate the stupidity of the party I am closest to. Hell, it's been on parade for the last several months. Only an idiot could miss it. The Democratic Party is such a rag-tag coalition of desperate groups; it's amazing that every election doesn't go to the Republicans. They are better organized in almost every way. Our ace in the hole is that the Republicans always manage to trash the economy while amassing more personal wealth at the same time. A fact that is not lost on the electorate when the economy tanks under the Republican watch.

As James Carvel said, “it's the economy stupid.”

There is also the crisis of healthcare that has become far worse over the last decade. Does anyone really expect the Republicans to do anything meaningful to fix the system?

And then there is the war.

Those are the kinds of issues that will be debated when we face them head to head. Sour grapes not withstanding…

If it came down to the best organization, with more focus and less wishy-washy voters, The Democrats would never win. But sometimes we do…

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  09:08:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Pelayo

"Think about it: how many Supreme Court justices in the mold of Alito and Thomas will be seated if this comes to pass?" by Filthy

This not Skeptic Friends Newtork; it's a Democrat Mutual Admiration Society, aka Circle . . .

Do you have anything intelligent to say or are you content to just snipe?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  09:10:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Why? What makes them so great as jurists?
Democrats suck. Republicans suck worse. Political parties in general suck, which is why the Founding Fathers spoke so dismissively about "factions."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  10:33:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If we're luckier still, we'll have none.

Are you incapable of reading? Where in this thread is anyone heaping praise on Democrats?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  10:39:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pelayo.....

Dave said Democrats suck, and I couldn't agree more! Currently, I am a Democrat only because only a Democrat or a Republican will be our next president, and another four years of Bush/Cheney policies will be as or more destructive to this country than the past eight years have been - the worst in my 70+ years of memory! And I was a Republican for most of those years!

Please defend to us the performance of the Bush/Cheney Administration durimg the past eight years! Please give detail as to how the United States has been bettered by this administration actions! Please list the accomplishments of Bush/Cheney and tell us why you are a proud, patriotic Republican, and why you feel that the Supreme Court is well served by Alito and Thomas.

If you want to discuss these matters, present your persuasions! I, for one, will be happy to respond! I imagine there will be others!

However if you just want to make stupid remarks like "we would be lucky if we had nine" and not offer any reasons for such idiocy, you are trolling in the wrong cave, and you soon will be denied entry.

We are here to discuss, debate, and have discourse, not to take potshots with no reference to support them. There is no problem with your being a rabid, rightwingnut Republican fanatic as long as you do your best to defend and support that political position, instead of just bleating your totally erroneous opinions without substantiation!

So tell us all the great accomplishments of the Bush Administration over the last eight years!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  15:10:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, fortunately for the world Pelayo's brand of politics is on its way out.

And really, reading this thread... he thinks we all like democrats? Oh, wait.. I know what the problem is, he didn't get beyond the pic on page one! Halo Al made him see red and start ranting his imbecilic little rant.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  16:04:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Mycroft.....

The idea of Gore stealing the nomination at the last moment, or even trying, seems ludicrous to me. Nice fodder for idle musings, but nothing more.
No, Mycroft, the idea as I read it is that those who covet a Gore presidency would essentially "draft" Gore at the end of the first or second ballot, when Obama and Hillary were hopelessly deadlocked. Gore would appear to bow to overwhelming demand and reluctantly accept a draft. This would provide additional luster to his already incandescent halo (see above) and all dissent would cease.

Hillary and Bill would slink back to the political sidelines, Obama would accept the vice presidency as it has been structured by Dick Cheney (a co-presidency, at least), there would be a division of labor of presidential duties between Al and Barack and the left end of the Democratic Party, powerfully united, would march forward as the dominant force in American Politics for the rest of the century!

Now that's ludicrous! And it ain't gonna happen! But make no mistake, such plans have been laid and there is a very real possibility - please note that I did not say probability -that Gore will factor in somewhere before this Democratic mule and donkey show is over!

I am at a donor level where I get a certain amount of anemometer readings that are not public knowledge. Gore is dead serious about his save-the planet mission! Besides, it is propelling him toward billionaire status, and he is just as venal as any politician, because you have to be venal to be a politician! But.....

I lived in Nashville for two years. As a pariah in a strange Republican land, I was active in Democratic politics and I met Gore several times. I have no doubt that he is a politician first and an environmentalist second!

So what do you, or anybody here, think of him as a potential president?

Okay, so you're claiming insider information that leads you to believe Gore will make some kind of major power-play before or during the nomonation?

I still claim BS, but I'm content to wait for the convention to see who is right rather than arguing it out.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds.