Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  16:23:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now here's an interesting lump in the compost:
On ABC's This Week, Republican strategist Dan Senor said that Condoleeza Rice has been actively campaigning to be John McCain's pick for Vice President.

Speaking of possible Vice President options for McCain, Senor said, "Condi Rice is an option. Tom Ridge is an option. Although, I think he'd have problems at the convention. Mitt Romney is an option. Condoleeza Rice has been actively campaigning for this. There's this ritual in Washington, The Americans for Tax Reform which is headed by Grover Norquist, holds a weekly meeting of conservative leaders, about 100 or 150 people. Sort of inside chattering class types and they all typically get briefings from political conservative leaders. Ten days ago, they had an interesting visit from Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice."

Hmm. I wonder if this would be an asset to McCain or not. At the moment, I don't think so, but whadda I know about conservative thought processes?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  16:36:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Boy, did the Democratic Party screw up when they restructured the primaries to get an early win for their leading candidate. (Hillary.) Talk about a backfire of epic proportions.
Ugh. Michigan and Florida didn't move up their elections to get Hillary elected. I HATE the irrational Hillary hate.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  17:17:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ugh. Michigan and Florida didn't move up their elections to get Hillary elected. I HATE the irrational Hillary hate.
I must agree with you that there isn't evidence that Michigan and Florida put themselves ahead for a particular candidate. They might have done this, but I haven't seen anybody put forth any convincing evidence for it. I have a strong distaste for Hillary for various, rational reasons, but I also agree with you that many take their hatred for her too far and make claims about her which are not adequately supported.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  17:53:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Originally posted by Kil

Boy, did the Democratic Party screw up when they restructured the primaries to get an early win for their leading candidate. (Hillary.) Talk about a backfire of epic proportions.

I don't suffer from Hillary hate. And I am talking about a lot of things like super delegates and such. It was assumed that this primary would be a cake walk for Hillary though...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  19:24:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Originally posted by Kil

I don't suffer from Hillary hate. And I am talking about a lot of things like super delegates and such. It was assumed that this primary would be a cake walk for Hillary though...
Huh. I didn't know that the restructured primaries had anything to do with super delegates, but the whole thing is complex, so who knows.

And I don't know if I quite got the Hillary cake-walk sentiment, but perhaps it's true. Either way, the notion that said restructured primaries had to do with Clinton is silly. As this Op-ed notes, Michigan was one of many states that felt it odd that Iowa and New Hampshire always got to dominate the early election scene.

Things get complicated from there, but suffice it to say that the jostling of primaries (and subsequent penalties) had little to do with pushing one candidate or another.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  10:09:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mycroft.....

Okay, so you're claiming insider information that leads you to believe Gore will make some kind of major power-play before or during the nomonation?
Mycroft, I have some disposable income. I am deeply concerned about the condition of the country I live in, a country I love, and a country that has been very, very good to me - and I have seen many, many others!

Bush/Cheney have hideously damaged the US and all that it used to stand for. I very strongly want to see this situation reversed, or at least ameliorated.

Politically, I am a fierce independent, and have been for many years, ever since Reagan! Prior to Reagan, I was a Republican, mostly! I became a Democrat, mostly, after seeing the effects of unbridled capitalism, the cancerous growth of huge corporations, the accumulation of obscene wealth by relatively few power/money brokers, and the "industrial-military complex" of Eisenhower begin to destroy this country, ravage the poor, and stress the very existence of the middle class (of which I aspire to be a menber but my circumstances prohibit!)

I don't give a shit if either Hillary or Obama wins the White House. I would be for Nader if he had a chance in hell. He doesn't. I want a Democrat, any Democrat, in the White House, because the conservative-liberal pendulum has swung way too far right! In time the reverse will come to pass and it will be time to kick out the liberals.

When that happens, as it will, I will (if I am still alive) support Republican politics again, or, much better, Independent third party politics if they have a chance to win!

I contribute heavily to the Democratic Party in an effort to help Democrats - particularly congressional Democrats - get elected. I do not contribute to either Ms. Clinton's or Mr. Obama's campaigns.

When a person contributes significant sums to a political party, he gains access to communication with party officials - "inside information" - if you like that conspiratorial characterization.

From the communications I have had, which are not frequent, I strongly feel that Gore will figure strongly in shaping party policies if the Clinton-Obama fight continues to the convention floor. Exactly how, neither I nor anyone else including Gore himself knows here in April! If Clinton withdraws, the sooner the better, Gore will definitely not be further involved, and I very seriously doubt that he would accept the VP, although Obama may make the gesture! Biden is a strong possibility for VP, but Richardson is holding the marker!

You, Tinkerbell, or anyone else can receive the same "inside information" if you wish to pay a significant sum for it by way of political contribution of one sort or another - there are many!

What it is worth is about the same as any information that is informed opinion as contrasted with simple speculation - higher chance of coming true, but no where close to certainty!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  13:06:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Proof that Democrats can be just as insane as Republicans. The fact that this display comes from a black woman who invokes Lincoln makes it all the more disgusting.

Those reading this who live in Illinois (especially Chicago), make your voices heard.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  00:03:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rep. Monique Davis (D-Chicago) interrupted atheist activist Rob Sherman during his testimony Wednesday afternoon before the House State Government Administration Committee in Springfield and told him, "What you have to spew and spread is extremely dangerous . . . it's dangerous for our children to even know that your philosophy exists!
Keith Olbermann featured Ms. Davis as one of his "worst persons in the world" on his Tuesday night show Countdown.

I have to admit I'm ashamed to be identified as a Democrat with retarded imbeciles like this one showing up as high-profile Democrats!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  04:58:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Representative Davis had a dick, I'd say she just stepped on it (old, Southern colloquialism). Her little bit of hysterics is all over the net and there are calls out for her resignation. Es & calls to her office go unanswered. This might be encouraging in an serendipitous sort of way. There ain't all that many atheists around, and all of the outrage is not from us.

It's nice to know that so many people, believers & non, are familiar with at least a little of the Constitution. I do not think she'll be in office next term.

I was rather struck by her knee-jerk, straw man of demanding that Mr. Sherman do something about guns in the hands of children. When you think about it, that was the crowning moment of her tirade because the authorities, if they're awake, are doing something. Mr. Sherman is not a law enforcement officer nor a legislator.

It also shows an unacceptable intolerance that is all too common among the fundamentalist Bible set, and these are the ones who would change the Constitution, to the detriment of everyone else.

Now then, just where the hell does the state of Illinois get off supporting some church or other with $1,000,000 -- let us not lose sight of that little stench in the Spring-time breeze! Hey, if they can give a mil to some Baptist outfit, then they can damned well lay some on the Buddhists, the Muslims, the Hindus, The Wicca, et al., and I could use a few bucks my self.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  06:50:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck
Would you like to see Gore as the Democratic nominee for the Presidency? Especially if either Hillary or Obama had to win the nomination by a squeaking margin or hip-pocket super delegate votes?

This would be great - the Democratic party throws out it's entire primary process, all the millions of votes cast to produce the deadlock between the white woman and a black man candidates, in favor of the middle aged white guy who was never even on the ballot. I'd love to see the reactions of all the various stake-holders.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  07:05:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

I was rather struck by her knee-jerk, straw man of demanding that Mr. Sherman do something about guns in the hands of children...

Now then, just where the hell does the state of Illinois get off supporting some church or other with $1,000,000...
The supreme irony is that Davis was not arguing that the million bucks should have been used to keep guns out of the schools.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  07:05:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

I must agree with you that there isn't evidence that Michigan and Florida put themselves ahead for a particular candidate. They might have done this, but I haven't seen anybody put forth any convincing evidence for it. I have a strong distaste for Hillary for various, rational reasons, but I also agree with you that many take their hatred for her too far and make claims about her which are not adequately supported.
Michigan moved up it's primary because the current primary process usually leaves us with a forgone conclusion before we ever get a chance to vote. And since the Federal government has all but ignored our very serious economic problems for the last 8 years we got a little desperate and figured we'd at least have some input into the electoral process if our primary was earlier. And we had nothing to lose - if the DNC threw out our delegates what difference would it make? We usually don't have real input in the candidate choice anyway, so go ahead, throw them out. But don't expect a check from my disenfranchised ass this year Dr. Dean.

All that said, this has become a real snafu. It was very short-sighted for the DNC to dig in it's heals and call MI and FL's bluff. They had to know that throwing out our delegates would alientate all the voters and doners ffs! Why not address our concerns and come to a friggin' compromise??? That's what political statesmenship is all about Dr. Dean. Now the party's screwing itself for the general election, which is, god help us, tightening up, and two key states are loaded with pissed off democrats. Stupid stupid stupid.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  06:49:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This makes me feel slightly better about Davis's bigoted rant; from Eric Zorn of the Chicago Tribune:
I know from experience that many of you will side with Davis (update -- apparently I was wrong! ), but I ask you to consider what the outcry would have been if a lawmaker had launched a similar attack on the beliefs of a religious person.

UPDATE -- Daily Kos readers have hundred of comments on this story. Boing Boing is covering as well. So is the Huffington Post. The Council for Secular Humanism in Amherst, NY is calling upon Davis to resign.

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2008/04/rep-monique-dav.html

I'm going to write my letter expressing outrage and send it tonight.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 04/10/2008 06:50:13
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  07:00:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Din't know you we're from Michigan Chaloobi. Now that we have the majority, we can crush all before our path! DOWN WITH OHIO!

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  10:16:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Din't know you we're from Michigan Chaloobi. Now that we have the majority, we can crush all before our path! DOWN WITH OHIO!
Yeah, I'm in the Detroit suburbs. You?

Ah, the irony of rust belt rivalry.... At one time I felt comofortable lookind down on Ohio (who wouldn't?). But now that even those neanderthals have banned smoking in bars and restaurants, I'm having an identity crisis. How can they possibly be more civilized than us?

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.