The sham of Airborne
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  13:53:32  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I first heard all the buzz about Airborne as a preventive medicine for common colds and such when I started working in a school. Many fellow teachers and parents swore by it, and I cringe to think about how much money just the people in that community spend every year on this overpriced placebo. My first year teaching was very difficult because of the amount of time I spent sick. You do start to feel desperate after a while. You find yourself standing in line for groceries, sniffling, head throbbing, and you see these bright, colorful packages of stuff claiming they can prevent this pain from happening so often and so intensely, and you remember all those friends and colleagues who told you it worked. In my case I got as far as pulling the package off the shelf and reading the label. The notice that it was not FDA evaluated and the $6. price tag were really enough for me to put it back. Thankfully my skepticism combined with my thin wallet kept me from ever wasting my money. I now find it gratifying to come across articles like this:

http://cspinet.org/new/200803032.html

But in February 2006, ABC News revealed on Good Morning America that Airborne's much-touted lone clinical trial was actually conducted without any doctors or scientists, just a "two-man operation started up just to do the Airborne study." Soon after the plaintiff notified Airborne of his intent to file suit in March 2006, the company stopped mentioning the study and began toning down the overt cold-curing claims in favor of vague "immunity boosting" language. Next, in 2007, the Federal Trade Commission and a group of state attorneys general began investigating the various "cold busting" claims that Airborne has made since its launch in 1999. Those investigations are continuing.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  14:26:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In his Scientific American column, Michael Shermer, of all people, admitted to taking Airborn.

Airborne Baloney

...I violated Feynman's first principle during a recent book tour. I traveled daily through congested airports, crowded jets and crammed bookstores amid sneezing, coughing, germ-infested multitudes. One day, while squeezed into the sardine section of coach, with the guy behind me obeying the command of the germs in his lungs to go forth and multiply, I cursed myself for having forgotten my Airborne tablets, an orange-flavored effervescent concoction of herbs, antioxidants, electrolytes and amino acids that fizzles into action in a glass of water.

In the logic-tight compartments of my brain, my magic module had trumped my skeptic module. I had not given this product any thought until, much to my chagrin, the host for one of my tour stops, a Menlo Park, Calif., Internet venture capitalist and science blogger named David Cowan, mentioned that recently he had debunked Airborne on his blog...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  14:36:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah. Airborne raised my suspicions too. I've looked at it in drugstores, since I fly several times a year and the dry air in planes plus someone hacking bugs me. But I haven't bought it.

Also Head On actually has nothing in it to alleviate a headache.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  14:45:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for posting this Marf. I was going to make a little post of my own.

This is the link to file an on-line claim to be a member/claimant of the class action:

www.AirborneHealthSettlement.com

You will notice that you can request reimbursement for up to 6 boxes of the various products with no proof of purchase required. Don't feel guilty. They didn't.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.