Fox news misrepresents study on H2O, promotes soda
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  20:12:04  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anybody else notice a huge discrepancy between the headline and what the studies actually say?

Fox Headline:
Study: Skip the Water, Have a Soda Instead

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,345576,00.html

Link to BBC report on the study:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7326437.stm

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 04/03/2008 20:12:30

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  20:55:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Marf, since I don't make a habit of going to the Fox News website, I didn't notice it until you posted the story. But you're right-- the "have a soda instead" seems a bit odd since nowhere in any of the stories do we find mention of soft drinks.

Does Rupert Murdoch have a large share in Coke or Pepsi?
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 04/03/2008 20:55:50
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  20:56:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FAUX Cartoon News.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  01:54:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I regard sodas, all of them, as being better than drinking strychnine, but not by much. They're vile-tasting stuff that do nothing for you beyond keeping your bladder flushed. Fox 'News' is pretty much in the same category: downright poisonous.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  05:50:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention there is some evidence suggesting that the combination of high fructose corn syrup and carbonated water produces a substance that is toxic to your pancreas.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  06:56:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the original report clearly says that drinking enough water will keep you from dehydrating, thus avoiding harm. Which is in it self healthy.

I donīt see the controversy in this, unlike Fucks News.

Cheers!

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  07:07:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by perrodetokio

Well, the original report clearly says that drinking enough water will keep you from dehydrating, thus avoiding harm. Which is in it self healthy.

I donīt see the controversy in this, unlike Fucks News.

Cheers!
There is no controversy. We evolved with plain, ol' water sustaining us and we will shuffle off this mortal coil still requiring it, preferably unpolluted with sticky crap.

I like water lightly diluted with a little tea or cheap whiskey, but mostly I drink it straight.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  07:23:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The headline is misleading, however that doesnt change the fact that soda or other non-alcoholic beverages will hydrate the body just fine, which is what was claimed.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

ZeeKrey

United Arab Emirates
20 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  17:51:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send ZeeKrey an AOL message Send ZeeKrey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It scares me how frequently the media uses catchy, often contradictory headlines for their stories. It is usually to catch attention only to later tell us the truth. Far too often people go around preaching the headline instead of the story because they didn't stay up late enough to hear about it on the 10-O-clock news.

What about the extreme? hyponatremia: The problem with the body's H20 regulation is that it is passive. If the body has too much H20 it puts stress on the kidneys and we dilute our on sodium content and that has been known to kill people with inadequate filtration from their kidney's. The most famous example being the Wii lady:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/jan/15/usa

Zee'Krey
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  20:04:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ZeeKrey

What about the extreme? hyponatremia: The problem with the body's H20 regulation is that it is passive. If the body has too much H20 it puts stress on the kidneys and we dilute our on sodium content and that has been known to kill people with inadequate filtration from their kidney's.
Good grief, no! Most cases of hyponatremia have been athletes who've sweated out the sodium required for life, replacing the lost salt water with tap water. It's the reason drinks like Gatorade are now recommended over plain old water, especially in endurance sports. No "stress" on the kidneys or "inadequate filtration" required.

The Wii lady seems to have been hyponatremic because she was drinking lots of water and not peeing, which would result in the same dangerous drop in salt concentration.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

ZeeKrey

United Arab Emirates
20 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  18:59:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send ZeeKrey an AOL message Send ZeeKrey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not peeing is why there was stress on her kidneys is what I meant Dave.

Zee'Krey
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  19:08:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I was wrong. Peeing couldn't have saved this woman, because there's no way her kidneys could have eliminated as much water as she drank in the same amount of time.

But the fact is that it was her water intake that reduced her sodium concentration. Kidneys and filtration had nothing to do with it, because she wasn't actually losing sodium. It wasn't so much hyponatremia as it was water intoxication.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  12:11:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ZeeKrey wrote:
Far too often people go around preaching the headline instead of the story because they didn't stay up late enough to hear about it on the 10-O-clock news.
This is true. National Geographic ran this sensational cover:

I was assisting Margaret Downey (the president of the Atheist Alliance International) with a talk about atheism to a class of college students, and one of the students raised his hand and said that even the prestigious National Geographic was questioning evolution. If he had simply opened the magazine up to the article, he would have seen this:

I wonder how many other people like this guy are going around thinking that National Geographic ran a story criticizing evolutionary theory.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 04/24/2008 12:13:16
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  12:33:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad really, that he didn't even notice the question mark at the end of the title.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.