Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 Humor
 Turdblossom teaches the time-challenged!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  06:17:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Dave thinks that I may not be able to see red, as opposed to simple black and white.
You seem to have this backwards.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  09:35:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

You seem to have this backwards.
No, Dave your subtle threat was abundantly clear. Better talk to Mabuse about this genius thing. He has me mixed up with you. I have difficulty spelling Memsa!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  09:50:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made no threat, subtle or otherwise. If you see one, then I was definitely wrong about you.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  10:14:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

then I was definitely wrong about you.
Wrong in what respect, Dave?
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  10:51:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Wrong in what respect, Dave?
I figured that someone with your obvious learning and language facility wouldn't need things to be spelled out in laborious detail. I thought to do so would be insulting, and that your requests that we do just that regarding what is a rather elementary part of human discourse (distinguishing imperative from opinion) were to demonstrate some other point you were trying to make, about which you would eventually come clean 'cause whatever it was is obviously over my head.

I guessed wrong.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  00:08:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

I guessed wrong.
Yeah, when dealing with dolts, it's best not to guess. I figured that someone with your obvious inquisitiveness would want to find out just how I would react to a million red pixels spread all over the screen, so you pushed the red button! And, besides, it's really fun! Come on, Dave, you're being a bit disingenuous here!

I originally asked....
I specifically would like you, Dave, also Kil and Mabuse to comment at length and in detail on any objections to or unhappiness with this Rove caricature piece that you may have - as appropriate for your forum. - not as the personal opinion of a participating reader and contributor.
Now that could be answered by a brief statement like "I have no official objection to your post" or, as a specific alternative to your elaborate red ink presentation, "Official objections are always expressed in red print or red boxes - no exceptions" I don't recall seeing that posted around here, and I didn't know it before this thread. I'm not sure I know it now, but I gather from all of your consternation that it must be the case!

Instead of a verbiage -saving sentence like the above, I get:
And here I thought I was explicitly and specifically answering your question. I have the utmost faith in your ability to discriminate between this:
You're proud of that?!
And this:
As an administrator of these boards, I don't think I'm comfortable with what you've posted.
And this:

Moderation Notice

Please stop posting such garbage.
And this:

Surely you don't need me to give you such elementary examples, your imagination and perception have already filled in these pesky details. Going that route would simply insult your intelligence, would it not?
Well, no, but my intelligence is somewhat offended when I am patronized!

But to maintain that all that elaboration and red ink was necessary to simply say say "We administrators don't comment adversely officially except with red notices or warnings." isn't very logical.
I figured that [you) wouldn't need things to be spelled out in laborious detail and that your requests that we do just that were to demonstrate some other point you were trying to make
Yes. I really didn't need the spelling out you did because I didn't ask for a statement of the difference between personal opinion and official policy; rather, I asked for the rationale for a policy decrying this type of post, if in fact there was such a policy.

My point shouldn't have been over your very good head. I thought that myself and possibly others, might benefit from an explanation of what, if any, was offensive in a graphic display of, and comment concerning, the common bodily function of defecation and it's humorous similarity to the pronouncements of venal political flacks like Karl Rove!

What is your personal opinion of Mr. Fish, by the way? He does a lot of this sort of thing!

Mabuse answered my question rather poorly, strongly demonstrating his personal value judgments about "turd humor".

Kil attributed my inquiry to a penchant for ball-busting which, although true enough, was not the real reason. He proceeded to be dismissive (whatever!) and then gave a very brief précis of your exposition.

I was really hoping for you to give me a condensation of your or SFN's policy regarding reference to the human body and it's natural functions as metaphor for egregious political or religious expression.

It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Macbeth Act 5, Scene 5
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  06:40:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who is it that supposes I am a genius? I'd like to meet them, just to quickly disabuse them of that notion!
Your insulting comments about my sense of humour on the first page clearly told me that you consider yourself more humorous than me. The comment and attitude toward me is what prompted my sarcastic reply about genius.

Also:
Mabuse answered my question rather poorly, strongly demonstrating his personal value judgments about "turd humor".

Just because you don't like my answer doesn't make it poor. Also, there's no reason why I shouldn't demonstrate my personal opinion on what I read in this forum.

Notice that despite my "value judgements", I have not actively enforced those judgements simply because I understand people like you get off on it, and find it funny, and because Admin's haven't expressed a wish to have such post moderated or removed. If That's not good enough for you, tough shit.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  09:34:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dr. Mabuse.....

If That's not good enough for you, tough shit.
Works for me! Excellent close, Mabuse, that's really what's it all been about!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  09:48:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I figured that someone with your obvious inquisitiveness would want to find out just how I would react to a million red pixels spread all over the screen, so you pushed the red button! And, besides, it's really fun! Come on, Dave, you're being a bit disingenuous here!
Nope, I honestly thought you would see those examples I posted simply as examples, but you apparently took them as a threat. Go figure.
I originally asked....
I specifically would like you, Dave, also Kil and Mabuse to comment at length and in detail on any objections to or unhappiness with this Rove caricature piece that you may have - as appropriate for your forum. - not as the personal opinion of a participating reader and contributor.
Now that could be answered by a brief statement like "I have no official objection to your post"...
And I answered the original question thusly:
Had it been official, you probably would have seen the dreaded red text by now. Distinguishing official objections from personal ones shouldn't be too difficult.
But that clearly didn't meet your requirements, so you said,
Thanks for kind of answering my request.
And that's when I figured you were being purposefully obtuse. I was wrong. I apologize.
But to maintain that all that elaboration and red ink was necessary to simply say say "We administrators don't comment adversely officially except with red notices or warnings." isn't very logical.
Logic seemed to be out the window with your "kind of" reply.
...I asked for the rationale for a policy decrying this type of post, if in fact there was such a policy.
And nobody gave you any reason to think there was such a policy, ever.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  10:53:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

Thanks for the apology. Having whipped this dead horse into a fine slime, it's ghost is pleading for his beating to desist, so we (you and I) have done our work well! I shall cease and desist!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds.