Religious Revisionism
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  13:58:39  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this today on a post-it note sheet, while unpacking my unruly belongings at my new home. I don't recall writing it down, buy it's in my handwriting:

From PC Mag Aug 1996

Religious Revisionism

Faithful reader Dimitri Saad reports that while his wife was using Microsoft Word for Window 6.0 to work on a church bulletin, she typed "May our Lord, Jesus Christ, through the grace and bounties of His love towards mankind, forgive thee" only to have Word's grammar checker tell her that "the word 'Christ' does not agree' with 'forgive.'"

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/15/2008 19:11:41

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  20:44:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang, PC Magazine's online archives only go back to August of 2000.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  03:53:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, considering the available evidence; that the note is intelligently designed, the only reasonable explanation is that God put that post-it in with the rest of your plunder to remind you to clean up your act.

Ockham's Razor clearly states that explanations should never multiply causes without necessity. When two explanations are offered for a phenomenon, the simplest full explanation is preferable. Therefore, God is the answer simply because it is the simple one. But if you had written it, it would involve clever inventions such as mass-produced pencils or pens & ink, the space of time it took to compose it, and the place to store and then lose it, to be found at the advantageous moment.

I did every bit of that with a straight face -- damn, I'm good!

Edit: Also, with a straight face, I shamelessly plagerized the Ockham's Razor definition word for word in a daring act of cut, paste & run, that would do credit to the the producers of Expelled, from Wikipedia.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/16/2008 04:02:36
Go to Top of Page

dtsaad

4 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  19:28:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dtsaad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This brings back memories. I actually wrote this note to PC Magazine back in 1996. They sent me a t-shirt and gift certificate.

Being a skeptic, I applaud the mission of this website. I would also like to add that my skepticism includes being skeptical of people whose entire purpose in life is skepticism.

Otherwise, keep on keeping on...

Best,
DS
Edited by - dtsaad on 05/02/2008 19:31:19
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  19:34:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would also like to add that my skepticism includes being skeptical of people whose entire purpose in life is skepticism.

Just trying to understand what you mean. Are you talking about a person who thinks the only important things have to do or somehow come through skepticism? Or are you talking about professional skeptics like Randi?

Edited to add: Welcome to the SFN.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 05/02/2008 19:34:38
Go to Top of Page

dtsaad

4 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  20:04:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dtsaad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky
Just trying to understand what you mean. Are you talking about a person who thinks the only important things have to do or somehow come through skepticism? Or are you talking about professional skeptics like Randi?

I've seen Randi many times on TV. I am actually a huge fan of his.

Frankly, I don't know why I wrote down that thought. It was "talking in general" I guess.

Thank you for the welcome!

DS
Edited by - dtsaad on 05/03/2008 07:56:30
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  20:09:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am also rather curious of how you came to the SFN. Have you been a lurker, or found a mention of your name through a search engine, or did you randomly stumble upon us?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  20:53:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by dtsaad

Originally posted by Ricky

I've seen Randy many times on TV. I am actually a huge fan of his.

Frankly, I don't know why I wrote down that thought. It was "talking in general" I guess.

Thank you for the welcome!

DS

Welcome to SFN, dstaad!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  23:23:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by dtsaad

This brings back memories. I actually wrote this note to PC Magazine back in 1996. They sent me a t-shirt and gift certificate.

Being a skeptic, I applaud the mission of this website. I would also like to add that my skepticism includes being skeptical of people whose entire purpose in life is skepticism.

Otherwise, keep on keeping on...

Best,
DS
Welcome to SFN, Dmitri! Did you find this post, then, by Googling your name?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  03:52:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Skepticism is as skepticism does. The ID folks claim to be skeptics (of evolution) as well, which is always good for a chuckle. It's enough to make you skeptical of skepticism.

Actually, it boils down to who is willing to trudge through the research before drawing a conclusion. Too many 'skeptics' are not.

Welocome to SFN, dtsaad!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

dtsaad

4 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  07:42:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dtsaad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, thank you all for the kind words and the warm welcome!

I have to admit that I googled my name and was pleasantly surprised by this.

I have visited this website in the past, but will probably be spending more time here now.

Best regards,
Dimitri
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.