Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  09:20:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cune......

I have been in contact with Ben Stein and he is excited about hosting your shitty project. He suggested the possibility that, preceding your defecations, you pass gas in the key of c sharp minor and we record it in high-definition stereophonic sound. The CD will be titled The Prelude in C Sharp Minor and, as a musical classic, it will certainly go down in history as fArt!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  11:10:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, this reminds me of something. Can't quite get ahold of it..... Durn. It went away like the wind.....

Don't you just hate it when that happens?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  12:26:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy.....

I swear, Filthy, you come up with weirder shit than Charles Fart who wrote the damndest book I have read!

Le Pétomane was undoubtedly the most outre´ Fartist until Cheney came along! I about laughed myself silly! (Cheney and Rove manage to pull alligators out of their asses on a regular basis, though!)
Thanks for the link!

Marf's remarks on art is everything and everything is art certainly seem to be borne out bythis example of the Universe imitating Art! Photograph by Hubble, art by Van Gogilleo!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  19:25:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
marf said:
It was art either way, and whether you or anyone else appreciates it or not.

No, it wasn't. If you have no distinction between what is, and isn't art, then the term becomes useless. If you can call a tube of paint "art", why bother using it to paint? Human excretory functions are not art, they are biohazardous waste. They aren't art until you start excreting ON something.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Edited by - Dude on 04/18/2008 19:26:41
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  21:45:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any tube of paint might be art, but not all tubes of paint are art. For a tube of paint to be art, it must be presented as art by someone who intends it to be art, and accepted as art by an audience willing to do so. None of which can save it from being stupid, meaningless and cheap art, but it would still be art.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  00:53:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

For a tube of paint to be art, it must be presented as art by someone who intends it to be art, and accepted as art by an audience willing to do so.
What size audience?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  04:19:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I ask: by definition is Piss Christ art? All it took to compose was a jar, a cheap crusifix, a little blood, and a couple of beers. Hell, even I could have done that.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  04:26:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Filthy.....

I swear, Filthy, you come up with weirder shit than Charles Fart who wrote the damndest book I have read!

Le Pétomane was undoubtedly the most outre´ Fartist until Cheney came along! I about laughed myself silly! (Cheney and Rove manage to pull alligators out of their asses on a regular basis, though!)
Thanks for the link!

Marf's remarks on art is everything and everything is art certainly seem to be borne out bythis example of the Universe imitating Art! Photograph by Hubble, art by Van Gogilleo!

From memory and therefore less than reliable: I seem to recall that the governer in Blazing Saddles was named Pétomane. What an odd coincidence, eh?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  05:59:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude wrote:
No, it wasn't. If you have no distinction between what is, and isn't art, then the term becomes useless.
The term is defined by humans. Art is a human invention. I already put forth a definition of "art" which covers anything that humans have in history and various cultures regarded in that manner: Anything which is creative expression put in the context of art is art.

If you can call a tube of paint "art", why bother using it to paint?
Driftwood sculptures on Jeju Island are found pieces, left unaltered from their natural state, and are regarded as works of art by virtue of the artist's presentation of them as an aesthetic object. They also do this with rocks. It is a long-standing tradition there and there is even an art museum on Jeju island dedicated entirely to pieces of driftwood and rocks collected by artists. There is nothing fundamentally different between that and Duchamp's Urinal.

At what point is there enough manipulation of materials by the artist for you to consider it art? If it isn't enough for an artist to present a tube of paint as art (found sculpture - and long accepted type of art-making, written about in art history books and in art criticism), how about if he or she signs their name to it? If that's not enough manipulation, how about it they cut it open and have a little of the paint bulging out? If that's not enough manipulation, how about if they then smear a mark on the gallery wall with the tube on the floor below? Your distinction between what can and can't be art is arbitrary.

Human excretory functions are not art, they are biohazardous waste. They aren't art until you start excreting ON something.

Arbitrary garbage. If what is being called art is someone actually excreting, then it is performance art. The difference between a performance piece with someone shitting and someone just normally shitting is that one is presented as a creative expression to be shared with others. I walk around in daily life, so if I have a part in a play where I just walk around, is that not art? If the shitting is documented in film, then it is film art. If the shit itself is used for something, it is visual art - similar to painting or sculpture.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 04/19/2008 06:03:44
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  06:21:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bngbuck wrote:
I never said anything like that. Go back and read how I defined art. It hardly defines everything as art.

As Dave put it:
Any tube of paint might be art, but not all tubes of paint are art. For a tube of paint to be art, it must be presented as art by someone who intends it to be art, and accepted as art by an audience willing to do so. None of which can save it from being stupid, meaningless and cheap art, but it would still be art.
Exactly. Except that I wouldn't call it meaningless. If it is art it has some meaning, even if that meaning is vague or silly.

Incidentally, I find Piss Christ to be a great work of art for a variety of reason.

bngbuck wrote:
What size audience?
Any size audience. I and my husband occasionally do creative things for only each other that we regard as art.

filthy wrote:
So I ask: by definition is Piss Christ art? All it took to compose was a jar, a cheap crusifix, a little blood, and a couple of beers.
Are you familiar with the work? It is a photograph, an image, not an assemblage of found objects. Also, no blood was involved. Given that it is a photograph, made by a fine art photographer, presented as visual art in galleries, and written about by art critics as if it were art, I don't see why its status as a "work of art" would even be in question.

Hell, even I could have done that.
So what? And people who do restorative work on oil paintings can paint like an old Renaissance master. Are we going to say that the people who restored the Sistine Chapel are as great of artists as Michelangelo? Both the creative element and the cultural context have always been part of the value and discussion of works of art.

A friend of mine who gave up pursuing a career as a professional artist, but who is and probably always will be an artist at heart, currently makes work out of all found materials, such as office supplies and product labels and packaging. His only audience is a handful of friends who appreciate conceptual and contemporary art. The same friend had a brain injury as a child which left him with poor motor control. All of his work could, skill-wise, be made by pretty much anyone. But conceptually, the work is highly sophisticated (even if only a small group of overeducated artfucks such as myself get it) and his own.

This is why these debates over what is art are useless. They lead nowhere. We are better to discuss the merit, and even better yet, the meaning and our reaction to works presented to us as art.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 04/19/2008 06:25:19
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  07:24:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course I'm familiar with Piss Christ! But I remind: it had to be mechanically assembled before it could be photographed. Is the art in the photography or in the assembly? Or both?

And remember, one man's art is another's litter.

Seems I read that cow's blood was used for the reddish tint.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  09:24:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
marf said:
The term is defined by humans.

I can't imagine a more meaningless sentence than that one. Please give me an example of a term that isn't defined by humans.

Art is a human invention.

Not quite as meaningless as your above sentence, but close. Any examples of a non-human invention?

Anything which is creative expression put in the context of art is art.

Ok. But in order for that to not be a circular definition you have to have a parameter for "creative expression". Doesn't have to be particularly strict, obviously, but it still has to be there. A sunset, the grand canyon, flowers, beaches, clouds, and all the things in nature we think of as "beautiful"... are not art. Because there is no human intent behind them. The same for human excratory functions.

Its not "art" until you shit, piss, bleed, or spit ON something. Videotaping yourself shitting, pissing, or aborting falls short of the "art" threshold IMO. So does saving your excrement and putting it on display.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  12:35:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Marfknox.....

bngbuck wrote:
Marf's remarks on art is everything and everything is art certainly seem to be borne out by this example of the Universe imitating Art! Photograph by Hubble, art by Van Gogilleo!

I never said anything like that. Go back and read how I defined art. It hardly defines everything as art.
You did say:
Any size audience. I and my husband occasionally do creative things for only each other that we regard as art.
By your definition, an audience of one, specifically the "artist", can specify anything as art, and by that act of specification, the anything is transformed into "art". Even if it is denied as such by any number (one to a million or more) other human beings!

Thus, your example transforms your definition of art...
Anything which is creative expression put in the context of art is art.
....into
Anything which is defined as creative expression by anyone, put into the context of art as defined by anyone, even the definer himself, is Art!
Is this what you meant?

I ask again: what size audience?
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  13:36:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

For a tube of paint to be art, it must be presented as art by someone who intends it to be art, and accepted as art by an audience willing to do so.

What size audience, Dave?

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  14:08:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

What size audience, Dave?
At least one.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.08 seconds.