Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  14:07:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Great DaveScot!
I'm assuming "for the sake of argument" that Darwin led to Hitler just to make the point that in any case this has nothing at all to do with the science of design detection. You guys just don't get it. I'm beginning to think the chance worshippers were right all along and this IS all about getting a bible on every desktop in every public school in America. How depressing. What Expelled seems to have done more than anything else is to get all the God botherers fired up and out of the closet, dropping any pretense that it was ever about science at all. It is just creationism in a cheap tuxedo. An attempt to establish a theocracy. What a revolting development.
Hat tip to AtBC, where at least one person thinks that Dave is trying to get himself fired from UD.
Though DaveScot will probably not ban himself, this statement simply cannot stand at Dr. Dr. Bill's lunatic asylum. What will Dembski do? This is going to get even more interesting, and soon.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  17:10:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Then there's these replies to Kil:
5 Leo Hales 05/06/2008 9:34 pm

Not surprising, really. Religion tends to put restrictions on how much money one makes and how one makes money in the first place. So wealthy people have plenty of motivation to adopt an ideology that undermines religon.
(Utter BS. How about all those super-rich televagelists?)

And:
6 Barb 05/06/2008 10:09 pm

Ann Coulter is a political pundit, not an ID theorist. She writes books, not to support ID, but rather to annoy liberals.
I#8217;d be interested to see Kil#8217;s list of millionaires.
Start with Ahmanson, I'd say, for however long you're allowed to post.

Looks like the evangelist idea isn't going to work; it only counts if one is looking at scientists. So, evangelists who make their entire living bs'ing people and ranting against science and evolution are somehow excempt, yet the scientists who usually have to take time away from their usual work to counter ID/YEC bs are fair targets?

I guess they want to avoid a target-rich environment.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  02:59:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although I've barely gotten started, I am rather enjoying UD. It's nice to have lots of opposing opinions, although it remains to be seen how long I'll be in residence. The Ban Button over there works slicker than most I've run afoul of.

We are much too inbred here. We need to get out and expand our skeptical horizons into those benighted lands where the folk cry out for enlightenment, yea, even unto those who don't know that they need us for their intellectual salvation!

Hey, religions do it all the time and it works for them.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  08:19:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Although I've barely gotten started, I am rather enjoying UD. It's nice to have lots of opposing opinions, although it remains to be seen how long I'll be in residence. The Ban Button over there works slicker than most I've run afoul of.

We are much too inbred here. We need to get out and expand our skeptical horizons into those benighted lands where the folk cry out for enlightenment, yea, even unto those who don't know that they need us for their intellectual salvation!

Hey, religions do it all the time and it works for them.

My posts do not show up as pending anymore. I find this odd since one of my posts made it in and that was the last one that I could view before it was accepted. It's almost as if they allowed that post and banned me at the same time. Sigh...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  09:55:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re Dave's post above, it's quite an interesting thread. A little down from DaveScot's comment #14 is StephenB at #17, who lamely argues that:
my motive for criticizing materialist/Darwinism is less about getting a bible on every desktop and more about restoring intellectual and mental health. I think materialism is bad for the culture because is causes people to reject important foundational truths such as the existence of mind, human conscience, and the inherent dignity of the human person.
But this is essentially calling for the rejection of evolution because it led to the holocaust! Since when does someone's moral objection make a scientific fact invalid?!? To flatly state that a godless world means that people "reject ... the inherent dignity of the human person" is not only without merit, but even if it were true, does nothing to refute evolution or support ID. Wishful thinking doesn't make something so! Ugh.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  10:48:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a straw man caricature of materialism, anyway. Materialists don't reject "the existence of mind," they just say that mind is an emergent property of brain, and not a God-given "thing" that exists separately from biology. And, of course, only sociopaths reject human conscience - this objection is nothing more than the projection of the dangerous fundamentalist attitude of "if God didn't threaten me with Hell, then I'd rape and murder all I'd like." These people think they know what atheists are like, but have instead fallen for the lies their fundie teachers tell them.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  08:33:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ken Miller on Expelled:
"Expelled" is a shoddy piece of propaganda that props up the failures of Intelligent Design by playing the victim card. It deceives its audiences, slanders the scientific community, and contributes mightily to a climate of hostility to science itself.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  11:23:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Ken Miller on Expelled:
"Expelled" is a shoddy piece of propaganda that props up the failures of Intelligent Design by playing the victim card. It deceives its audiences, slanders the scientific community, and contributes mightily to a climate of hostility to science itself.

Indeed a fine piece by Miller. And Miller is representative of religious scientists who are ignored by Expelled because mentioning them might "confuse" the audience.

Using links of sand, the producers would rather construct the chain: Evolution = Atheism = Eugenics = Holocaust. They don't want to confuse us with the facts, or with inconvenient Christian evolutionists.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  14:47:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Box Office Mojo is reporting that on Wednesday, Expelled finally overtook The Aristocrats in the list of highest-grossing documentaries, corrected for inflation. That means it only needs to bring in another $1,806,705.72 to surpass Mad Hot Ballroom and take over the #12 spot, which at its current average daily gross might happen in two weeks.

Of course, the average daily gross has done little but trend downward since the film's opening...

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  19:05:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This piece by Jeffrey P. Schloss bends over backwards to be fair to the theses of Expelled, and finds the movie lacking and even self-defeating. Overall, an excellent review.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  14:05:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Uncommon Descent people are taking issue with his review:

In an especially disappointing long section, Schloss questions whether IDers really are expelled. Unlike most people, he is in a position to know precisely how the system works. He could have simply admitted truthfully that the system he is part of, does engage in such expelling practices.

For the heck of it, Dave Scot puts the smackdown on another blog

Baloney is right.

The Nuremberg Laws included anti-miscegenation laws (no interbreeding between whites and blacks, and whites & native indians) that date back to at least colonial America in 1660's and persisted as the law of the land until the 1960's.

Darwin had nothing to do with those laws as their origin predates his birth by well over 100 years.
May 6, 2008 12:11 AM

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  21:59:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the latest Skepticality podcast ("Don't Be Such a Scientist! Interview: Dr. Randy Olson"), Swoopy makes a big deal of how Expelled is still showing, five times a day, at her local theater.

If that theater is average, then it got about three people per showing this past week, and maybe eight people per showing on the weekend of May 10th.

I'm wondering when showing a movie becomes uneconomical for a theater. Heck, the 53 theaters still showing Alvin and the Chipmunks raked in an average of $15 each last Wednesday. Fifteen bucks! Does that even pay for all the electricity going into the climate-control system for even a single showing? I suppose it must.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  03:31:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a handy chart that keeps track of it.

About 7.4 mil gross thus far. At this late date, I suppose that's better than a sharp stick in the eye -- there's an interesting comparison -- but it's far from the BO smash that it was figured to become.

I think that, even though Stein is hopping around the TV shows and squeaking like a grasshopper mouse in heat, it will soon enough die a quiet death, lawsuits & all.

A pity, really, 'cause it's been fun disparaging it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  19:32:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Expelled seems to be dying almost as fast as some "academic freedom" bills in various states. Expelled earned only 54% as much per theater as Where in the World is Osama bin Laden? last weekend, and both documentaries have been out for five weeks now. Expelled was #30 top earner last weekend, remaining in only 210 theaters.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  23:26:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wikinews
Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A New York Judge ruled to continue a injunction against Premise Media, which effectively prevents Premise, the producers of Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed, from further distribution

[Edited to fix link. //Dr. Mabuse]

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 05/22/2008 14:27:37
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds.