Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  04:53:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Starman

Wikinews
Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A New York Judge ruled to continue a injunction against Premise Media, which effectively prevents Premise, the producers of Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed, from further distribution

Last one to leave, unplug the coffee pot and turn off the lights.....

[Edited to repair link. //Dr. Mabuse]

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 05/22/2008 14:29:47
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  05:27:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nary a peep at Uncommon Descent on the injunction as yet, although Denyse is boasting of a new blog that, according to her (I haven't visited it yet, but will), is pissing off the 'Darwinists.'

Ah Denyse darlin', the tears you see running down so many faces are those of laughter. We (I'm an IDiot in good standing, remember, so I get to use the term "we") lost a goodly chunk of our credibility when Johnson's Wedge Document came out, and the rest of it at Dover. Then we really humped the hound when we did Expelled and made the utterly stupid mistake of shitcanning PZ Myres at the get-go. Somebody ought to have their ass royaly kicked for that one. In fact, as pathetic and indeed amaturish as the flick is proported to be, lots of people could use a little posterior shoe leather.

I do not understand why we didn't just throw a few bucks and a bowl of shusi at Yoko and avoided the court hassle. Hell, had we treated her right, she might even have offered to share the shusi with us. I like shusi, although around my neck of the woods, we call it "bait."

So, I'll hang around UD and keep track so no one else has to.... And, yeah, I'll get the lights.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 05/22/2008 05:40:29
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  06:32:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another blog, Denyse? Holy cow. And this latest one based upon a false dichotomy:
I hope to write a book with a physicist about the "God vs. the multiverse" conflict: Is our universe fine-tuned or are there zillions of flopped universes out there, so that it only looks that way.
Followed up, of course, with the obligatory "buy my other books" pitches. She really is a laugh riot.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  07:39:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems rather "smart" to me - the shotgun approach. From a fiscal point of view only.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  07:56:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am consumed with curiosity as to who this physicist might be. The instant I learn only as much as the initials, I'm gonna fire google up. Will it be a "Jonathon Wells" sort of physicist, or one who actually works in his field? I dunno; it's hard to say. I wonder if he/she'll be named some variation of "Steve."

I find Denyse a much better promoter than a writer, as her new blog quite clearly shows. Talk is cheap & easy, but the pen is a cruel mistress.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  08:24:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been banned from UD without a formal banning. My posts just fall into a non-pending black hole. (The trash can?) Oddly, they started doing that to me right after posting one of my comments. I left them a pretty long note questioning the integrity of doing that. But probably they will have to do some research to learn the meaning of integrity, and that concept is probably too alien for them to bother with.

By the way, my posts have been polite by any standard.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  09:07:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I have been banned from UD without a formal banning. My posts just fall into a non-pending black hole. (The trash can?) Oddly, they started doing that to me right after posting one of my comments. I left them a pretty long note questioning the integrity of doing that. But probably they will have to do some research to learn the meaning of integrity, and that concept is probably too alien for them to bother with.

By the way, my posts have been polite by any standard.

Doubtless, your fame has preceeded you, whereas my lowely and less than distinguished self is still a pretty much unknown factor. They seem to like to have a few "Darwinists" around to give the appearence of "fair & balanced."

Odd though, my first post was a potentially embarrassing swing at the Wells/Moonie connection, and that one vanished quicker'n a rock at a crack party, The second post was accepted, and I haven't been moderated since. Go figger.

O see how gentle,
O see how smooth,
And see the wonderous coat so colorful,
Of the viper thou hast clasped unto thy bosom.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  09:37:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evidently, the WP article has hit a nerve:
22 May 2008
“There is no controversy”

William Dembski

“There is no controversy.” “There should be no controversy.” “It's okay to expel those who pretend that there is a controversy.” “Academic freedom does not apply where the scientific consensus says there is no controversy.” …

The Washington Post has a ridiculous editorial that elevates evolutionary theory to the same status as gravitational theory and the truths of mathematics (go here).

Meanwhile, the Altenberg meeting coming up this summer brings together biologists who see the contemporary state of evolutionary theory as in upheaval (go here). Yes, the field is in disarray, but there is NO CONTROVERSY. What, are we living in a Kafka novel?
My modest contribution is comment # 11.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  14:47:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Orson Scott Card displayed his ignorance of science and history back on May 4th. While Ender's Game is a classic, the linked bit of Card's output is utter dreck. He thinks Expelled "makes a serious effort to tell the truth about a problem that's seriously damaging our civilization," but he's got it exactly backwards. Nowhere in sight is any evidence that Card has seriously considered the specific cases in the movie, to learn the truth of them. "Hitler was a Darwinist," Card proclaims (italics his), without once stopping to realize that eugenics is an act of artificial selection, known for thousands of years to work (see "animal husbandry" or "agriculture") without need of Darwin.

There's a lot more I'd like to say, here, but I don't have time to right now.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  18:51:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rather than just squawk ineffectually about Card's article, I've sent him the following email:
Mr. Card,

I've just read your latest World Watch column, "Intelligent Conversation," and have a question:

Can you provide a specific example of a scientific question about modern evolutionary theory that has been suppressed?

Thank you.
I'll let everyone know if I get a reply.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  19:03:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Rather than just squawk ineffectually about Card's article, I've sent him the following email:
Mr. Card,

I've just read your latest World Watch column, "Intelligent Conversation," and have a question:

Can you provide a specific example of a scientific question about modern evolutionary theory that has been suppressed?

Thank you.
I'll let everyone know if I get a reply.
I rather doubt that you will, but if you do, I'm looking forward to reading of it.

I just want to see if his spinning & apologetics are any better than average.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  12:25:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Orson Scott Card displayed his ignorance of science and history back on May 4th. While Ender's Game is a classic, the linked bit of Card's output is utter dreck. He thinks Expelled "makes a serious effort to tell the truth about a problem that's seriously damaging our civilization," but he's got it exactly backwards. Nowhere in sight is any evidence that Card has seriously considered the specific cases in the movie, to learn the truth of them. "Hitler was a Darwinist," Card proclaims (italics his), without once stopping to realize that eugenics is an act of artificial selection, known for thousands of years to work (see "animal husbandry" or "agriculture") without need of Darwin.

There's a lot more I'd like to say, here, but I don't have time to right now.
So is Card stepping up to be the poster boy for anti-evolution the way Michael Crichton did for anti-climate science? Just because you write very popular scifi doesn't make you an authority on real science of any kind. It's worse than Watson saying blacks are less intelligent. Or Bono saying it's wrong to let African children starve. Oh, wait.

I got tired of the Ender series and all the genius at work. Talk about beating a dead horse. It started with the OCD girl's genius father having the furniture rearranged in his office nightly so he would never fall into any kind of mental routine. I think that's exactly the opposite of what an actual genius would do. A genius ought to recognize and embrace the reality that every distraction from the topic of interest should be eliminated --> EVERYTHING that isn't your work SHOULD be routine so you can focus on genius stuff. After he got that so wrong the magic was gone.

So Expelled has an injunction against it? Does that mean it's been pulled from theaters and won't be on Netflix any time soon?

Lastly, I understand Hilter liked vanilla ice cream. Does that mean vanilla ice cream should be rejected by every right thinking human being? It's so disappointing when seemingly smart people have such dumb ideas.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 05/28/2008 12:30:39
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  12:37:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

So is Card stepping up to be the poster boy for anti-evolution the way Michael Crichton did for anti-climate science?
Actually, Card is also a man-made global warming denier. As with the premise of Expelled, Card claims that global warming was an "instant dogma" and speaking out against the consensus will get a climate scientist censured or worse. He considers An Inconvenient Truth to be "a pack of lies."

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  12:27:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yoko's injunction has failed. But it's really no big deal; Explled has all but disappeared from the scene, anyway. Dreck can only survive if it is well made dreck, and this sad excuse for apologetics was far from a potential oscar nominee.

Oddly, Uncommon (indeed!) Descent has, at this point, nothing to say about it. Could they be as tired of their silly & unsupported nonsense as the rest of us?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Archereon

New Zealand
32 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  14:40:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Archereon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is still the EMI lawsuit which needs to be resolved.

West Ham Claret and Blue Army NZ div
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.