Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  11:33:36  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
“same kind of different As me” is the title. It is one of the best books I have read in years. I read it in only two days. And that's saying something for a person with two kids and a full time job.

It is a true story of a million dollar art dealer, Ron Hall, who grew up and lived throughout the DFW metroplex and a homeless person (Denver Moore) who lived on the streets in downtown ft worth for over 25 years. The book chronicles both of their lives from children and how they eventually met and became friends.

Denver was a son of a sharecropper (a modern day slave) in Louisiana. He tells of how he and his family lived and the blatant racism and “slavery” he was caught up in. He said at one point that he “never knew that nigger kids had the right to go to public school” until he was an adult living on the streets in California.

Ron was the son of a Coca Cola employee who grew up poor (by US standards) near Ft Worth. He worked hard and eventually got married had kids and made millions buying and selling artwork. His wife Deborah was a Christian and wanted to do service. She started working at a homeless shelter in the scariest part of Ft Worth. She eventually dragged Ron there to help. He was not very interested and had many prejudices about the homeless and poor people in general. Denver also had many prejudices about whites and rich people.

Through Deborah he eventually makes friends with Denver and they tell the same story from each of their perspectives of how they became friends and realizations that changed their lives. It is very interesting to see the difference in views of life from these two men and how their views changed throughout the book.

The book has a very Christian point of view of how God brought these people together to help the poor and homeless in Ft Worth. But I think that even if you do not believe in God it still is an encouraging example of how one person can make a difference. Also it gives insight of how people who have faith in God really deal with struggles in their lives, the good and the bad way of dealing with life. Deborah saw people that needed help and she just started to help with what she could and eventually it led to a new homeless shelter and programs that are really helping people that want to get off the street in Ft Worth.

Ron and Denver still live in Ft Worth and Denver actually has an art gallery that displays his own artwork. They are both still dedicated to the homeless in Ft Worth. I was very encouraged that if we all start and just do something, anything and stop talking so much about our problems that our society would be much better off.

These people give reviews much better than I:

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/0849900417/ref=cm_cr_pr_link_2?%5Fencoding=UTF8&pageNumber=2

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  06:13:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, one person can make a big difference. And as soon as most folks realise that there is no God looking out for us, that there is no afterlife and we're not going to be going to a "better place" when we die, the sooner more people will try to make this world a "better place".

As for how wonderful God is for getting these two people together to help a few homeless people in Ft. Worth, lets not forget that this is a Christian country and just a few words in God's Book could have ended slavery long ago and eliminated the very cause of this man's homelesness, and doubtless the suffering and misery of millions.

Thanks, God. How wonderful Thou art.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  07:20:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by leoofno

Yes, one person can make a big difference. And as soon as most folks realise that there is no God looking out for us, that there is no afterlife and we're not going to be going to a "better place" when we die, the sooner more people will try to make this world a "better place".

As for how wonderful God is for getting these two people together to help a few homeless people in Ft. Worth, lets not forget that this is a Christian country and just a few words in God's Book could have ended slavery long ago and eliminated the very cause of this man's homelesness, and doubtless the suffering and misery of millions.

For the sake of my curiosity could you please give us the list of "non-Christian" countries that you feel are a "better place" then the US of A and why you believe them to be a "better place."

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  08:13:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Bill scott

For the sake of my curiosity could you please give us the list of "non-Christian" countries that you feel are a "better place" then the US of A and why you believe them to be a "better place."

Of fer-cying-out-loud. Bill, the US is not a Christian country. Religion is protected here, and the majority of Americans identify as some brand of Christian, but the constitution and the first amendment make it abundantly clear that there is no official state religion, Christian or otherwise.

This is fundamental to understanding America. As a non-Christian I find your branding the country as Christian offensive and dangerous. Would be theocrats like you, with proclamations that this is a Christian nation are expressing un-American ideas...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  08:15:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Bill scott, are you reading the same topic I am?

First, I don't see any place in leoofno's post, quoted by you, where he claims that there are "non-Christian" countries that might be "better place[s]."

Second, this is the Book Reviews forum. Please restrict your conversation to a discussion of the book, Same Kind Of Different As Me.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  08:16:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't understand your reasoning. The story is about a Christian woman who did make the world a better place for some. And many others that followed her example to help.

As for how wonderful God is for getting these two people together to help a few homeless people in Ft. Worth,
It would have been worth it if she just helped one person.

lets not forget that this is a Christian country and just a few words in God's Book could have ended slavery long ago and eliminated the very cause of this man's homelesness, and doubtless the suffering and misery of millions.
I disagree. Why is there still murder, adultry etc.? The BIble says not to do those things. You do not understand the human condition.

Edited to add: Squabling over whether God exists or not was not my point for writing the review. I thought it was an extremely good book about how we can help each other by just taking action however small it may be. To see hojust that kind of act can engage others and big things can happen.
Edited by - Robb on 05/09/2008 08:20:32
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  08:17:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Not a good question, Bill. You know as well as anyone else that the populations of every country are religious and Christianity is predominant in the world, don't ask me why. Also, I can't seem to find where Leoo mentioned such.

Robb, reading the reviews, it's a pretty good story. Would that the churchs, which have the money, do the same on a larger scale. I've known some sharecroppers and can tell you: for the most part, their lives were little better than the slaves they replaced. Many, over the years, have sought refuge in the military.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 05/09/2008 08:20:51
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  08:22:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boron is right. This is a book review section. Sorry, but I took the bait...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  08:25:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robb, reading the reviews, it's a pretty good story. Would that the churchs, which have the money, do the same on a larger scale. I've known some sharecroppers and can tell you: for the most part, their lives were little better than the slaves they replaced. Many, over the years, have sought refuge in the military.
I did not know this was how bad it was. Not the kind of thing I learned in school. It also opened my eyes and heart to homeless people. Just knowing some of the reasons why they are there engages me in the problem and hopefully in the solution as well.

Churches do help the homeless but wouldn't it be nice if they all combined resources and did what needed to be done. But the sad thing is that squabbling between denominations is a hinderence to these sort of efforts.
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  08:36:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Of fer-cying-out-loud. Bill, the US is not a Christian country.

Leo was the one who claimed that it was a "christian country."

Leo said:

As for how wonderful God is for getting these two people together to help a few homeless people in Ft. Worth, lets not forget that this is a Christian country...

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  08:39:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Kil

Leo said:

As for how wonderful God is for getting these two people together to help a few homeless people in Ft. Worth, lets not forget that this is a Christian country...

I stand corrected.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  08:43:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leo was probably being a little sarcastic. But yes, let's stick to a discussion of the book.
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  08:44:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10

Bill scott, are you reading the same topic I am?

First, I don't see any place in leoofno's post, quoted by you, where he claims that there are "non-Christian" countries that might be "better place[s]."

Second, this is the Book Reviews forum. Please restrict your conversation to a discussion of the book, Same Kind Of Different As Me.

Sorry. My bad. I accept full responsibility for sidetracking this boor review. Shoulda paid more attention to the forum.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  08:46:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by Kil

Leo said:

I stand corrected.
And I as well.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  09:04:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Leo was probably being a little sarcastic. But yes, let's stick to a discussion of the book.

Yes, I was. It was the "God brought these people together to help homeless people of Ft. Worth" part that I found irritating. While this country is not officially "Christian", the majority of its citizens claim to be Christion and follow the dictates of the Bible which allows slavery, and the after-effects of slavery are the ultimate causes of this man's problems (or so the review implied), and slavery has been supported by Christians for hundreds of years.

I'll start a new topic next time.

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  10:03:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So what you are saying here is that once America, a country where the majority claim to be Christian, gets off her "going to a better place once we die" soapbox then we can/will get down to business and finally make the here and now a "better place."

So for the sake of my curiosity can you list those countries where the majority of people do not proclaim to be Christian and they do not profess the Bible and that you see as a "better place" then the US of A?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.