Quote To The Media
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Coat Of Arms
Skeptic Friend

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  14:19:34  Show Profile Send Coat Of Arms a Private Message  Reply with Quote

My favorite quote by a person to the media.

Angelo Freeland age 27, was pulled over in Polk County Florida in a routine traffic stop, "executing" the deputy who stopped him. The deputy was shot eight times, including once behind his right ear at close range. Another deputy was wounded and a police dog killed.

A statewide manhunt ensued. Freeland was found hiding in a wooded area with his gun. SWAT team officers fired and hit the guy 68 times. Now here's the kicker: Naturally, the media in their wisdom, asked why they shot him 68 times.

Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd, told the Orlando Sentinel:
"That's all the bullets we had." [True story, confirmed on snopes.com] Do “ya" think the Sheriff was sending a message to the next cop killer.

Paul C.

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  23:03:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Coat Of Arms.....

Your point?
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  23:38:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps this is more deserving of the Humor folder?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Coat Of Arms
Skeptic Friend

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  06:42:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Coat Of Arms a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Coat Of Arms.....

Your point?

I was not making a point. I read the storey and admired the Sheriff's answer to a STUPID media question.

Perhaps this is more deserving of the Humor folder?

I don't see the humor in a deputy being shot eight times.
Or Another deputy being wounded.
Or a deranged 27 year old man being shot 68 times.

Paul C.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  07:59:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably should have gone into Media Matters, but, no matter, it was a pretty good, if smartass, answer.

I do hope the cops had more ammo, as it seems stupid to burn it all up on one demented, little murderer, whatever the provacation.

68 rounds..... Anyone who has been anywhere near a serious (is there any other kind?) firefight knows the temptation to keep it rockin' & rollin' 'till the weapon goes 'click' instead of 'bang,' or the world turns off forever. However, these were trained personell that could and should have gotten the job done with no more than a few and preferably only one.

Ah, revenge; "a dish best served cold," they tell me, but it tastes so sweet when hot off the fire and dripping with it's own juices.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  08:36:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Coat Of Arms

Woah, hold on. The main point of the story was the quote, "That's all the bullets we had." This I found to be funny. Typically, Media Issues is for threads about problems with the media.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  09:35:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

Woah, hold on. The main point of the story was the quote, "That's all the bullets we had." This I found to be funny. Typically, Media Issues is for threads about problems with the media.
Erm, is there something that is not a problem with the media? The history of journalism is a fascinating read of some of the worst-yet-unheralded rascals ever. And some very few true heroes.

I think that Media Issues should embrace all that might have to do with our tattered sphere of information.

A correction: Dunno what I was thinking when I wrote "Media Matters."

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  09:37:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It was a response to a seemingly stupid question by the media. I'm not really sure if it was a stupid question, but the police take a dim view of cop killers for a good reason.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  10:09:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Quite a bit more to the story than the above snippet....

http://www.snopes.com/crime/cops/judd.asp

The shooter sounds like real pond scum.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Coat Of Arms
Skeptic Friend

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  11:12:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Coat Of Arms a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Please accept my humble apology. I really didn't know what you were referring to.

Paul C.
Go to Top of Page

Coat Of Arms
Skeptic Friend

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  13:54:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Coat Of Arms a Private Message  Reply with Quote

[quote]Originally posted by Coat Of Arms

Please accept my humble apology. I really didn't know what you were referring to.

The Sheriff did not avoid "the usual no comment."It could have been implied he had something to hide. Or resulted in a one-sided story. He answered the question under extreme anger and stress. Most people would agree it was said Politically Incorrect.

On the other hand the question could be considered irresponsible, sarcastic with strong insinuations. Under the circumstances I think it was a Stupid question. The Sheriff had no way of anticipating the question when he answered ,he didn't think., and probably didn't have the time to think . And didn't realize the impact his statement may have on the public.

Another reason I believe the question was stupid. Large Police departments like Orlando have a public affairs communications office. The staff has extensive experience dealing with the media and they anticipate reporters' questions, and plan a positive response.

When Sheriff Judd made the statement. “That's All The Bullets We Had” What he was really saying is, because that's what happens when you kill a Deputy Sheriff and wound another deputy. And that's exactly what the reporter wanted him to say. Makes a great buy line for the Orlando Sentinel.

Sheriff Judd was dealing with the fact his deputy was assassinated, being shot behind the ear is murder by assassination. The Sheriffs response to the reporter( why 68 times) may not have been the answer the Sheriff would have preferred to give, but the message in it's alternative answer certainly sends out a message for future cop killers. If you kill a cop be prepared to accept the consequences with your own life.

I don't condone the actions of the Orlando Swat team. Swat is a necessary tool dealing in exceptionally dangerous, high-risk, situations. Shooting a suspect 68 times and turning him into Swiss Cheese is probably not how the city of Orlando or Swat would like to be referred to as an elite team with specialized training

Paul C.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  16:54:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Quite a bit more to the story than the above snippet....

http://www.snopes.com/crime/cops/judd.asp

The shooter sounds like real pond scum.

Randy.

Appologize to the pond scum. You've insulted it.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.