Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  21:27:05  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What are your favourite bible quotes or other religious quotes. That is to say ones you either agree with or like, rather than just amusing ones.

"The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath."
-Jesus

I like this one as it is a departure from the insanity of the old testament's stoning of a man for collecting wood on the sabbath. It also is a departure from the strict vengeful, God to a more "Hey it's sunday, take a break", God.

"The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr."
-Muhammad

If only they'd underline that part in the Quran

<i>However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? </i>
-Buddha

Mostly Buddha is always making analogies of varying strength, but this one is more to the point.

What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a pink shirt before?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  02:39:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Ecclesiates:
3:19 For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.

3:20 All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.

3:21 Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?

3:22 Wherefore I perceive that there is nothing better, than that a man should rejoice in his own works; for that is his portion: for who shall bring him to see what shall be after him?
We humans die, just as animals die. For "a man has no preeminence above a beast." I wish Christians would pay more attention to this bit of Biblical literalism.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/21/2008 02:43:40
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  03:11:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Vegeta, long time, no hear from. Welcome back!

"Have they not divided the prey; to every man a damsel or two?" -- Judges 5:30

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  07:21:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, the whole book of Ecclesiastes is really good. It's a lament that mere mortals cannot know the mind of God, and so cannot say whether any particular act or event is "good" or "evil" in the grand scheme of things, so people should do whatever it is that makes them happy, because this is the life we've got, there's nothing coming later. (The verses at the end, about it being a person's duty to keep the commandments and to fear God, may have been a later addition.)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  09:32:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well a lot of Jews don't actually believe in an afterlife probably based on passages like that, the trouble is that half the stuff in the old testement gets 'corrected' by Jesus.

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  12:32:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And He was asking him, "What is your name?" And he said to Him, "My name is Legion; for we are many."

- Mark 5:9

It just sounds cool. I was part of a secrete MMORPG group who used it.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  23:20:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I read that before in a comic or something too

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  04:41:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Always one of my least favorite versus is Psalms 137-9. I'm just not sure what the man has to be happy about.

"And when the sacred months are passed, kill those who join other gods with God wherever ye shall find them; and seize them, besiege them, and lay wait for them with every kind of ambush: but if they shall convert, and observe prayer, and pay the obligatory alms, then let them go their way, for God is Gracious, Merciful" (Koran 9:5).
A tolerant peaceful religion.

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple" (Luke 14:26).

"He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me (Matthew 10:37; see also Mark 10:29-30).
My mother is more than a god to me. Jesus! You pathetic little bastard.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  05:05:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had to dig a little for this one as I couldn't remember where it was:

"He slew all the house of Baasha: he left him not one that pisseth against a wall ... according to the word of the LORD." -- 1 Kings 16:11-12

Turned out that it was easy to find in The Skeptic's Annointed Bible.

Some good advice there; if you gotta piss aginst a wall, don't let God & his henchmen catch you at it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  07:00:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, HalfMooner on your 7000th post.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 05/23/2008 07:01:04
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  08:42:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So you guys actually agree with these quotes or are you just posting stupid ones now? Because this could be a long topic if we post every dumb quote in the bible/qur'an.

Edited by - Vegeta on 05/23/2008 08:43:04
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  09:34:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Vegeta

So you guys actually agree with these quotes or are you just posting stupid ones now? Because this could be a long topic if we post every dumb quote in the bible/qur'an.
I find very little contained in these books to be inspiring. I also don't consider the quotes as dumb but rather dangerous. Non-sense and immorality when considered infallible is heinous.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  10:24:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Vegeta

Well, I think Ecclesiastes is probably the most rational book of the Bible. If we posit an omnipotent god with some plan for the universe that we can't possibly understand (because we're not gods), then the author is absolutely correct that we cannot judge whether any event is a part of that plan or not. This completely undermines any Christian attempt to impose any sort of morality upon others, because even if Jesus is correct in that there is an afterlife and how to get into it, we're still left unable to determine if some person's actions "go against God's will."

For example, if we see some guy kick a puppy, most of us would be pretty upset by it. If, however, that puppy - unkicked - would have grown into a dog who gets rabies and then mauls and kills a baby who would have grown up to be, in the year 2050 or so, a wildly popular, kind and reasonable prophet of God's Word, inducing millions towards Christ but away from fundamentalism, then the puppy-kicker should be praised. Regardless how we feel about Jesus and our own status of being "saved" or not, we cannot possibly have even the vaguest hint of a clue as to whether God wants that puppy kicked or unkicked.

The word "every" in Ecclesiastes 3:1, "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven," must include puppy-kicking (and abortion, and homosexuality, and taxes, and atheism, and every other possible activity). What mere mortal has the hubris to say that God disapproves of any particular act?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  17:36:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find very little contained in these books to be inspiring. I also don't consider the quotes as dumb but rather dangerous. Non-sense and immorality when considered infallible is heinous.

Yeah I pretty much figured most people would feel this way that's why I was interested in those little bits that are the exception to the rule.

I can't say I'm at all familiar with Ecclesiastes, but it sounds a bit more philisophically sophisticated than the rest of the bible.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  21:54:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Congratulations, HalfMooner on your 7000th post.
Thanks! I missed that.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/23/2008 21:58:53
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  23:26:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.
...and, in the Spring as thee become as the horn of the hart....
Make haste, my beloved, and be thou like to a roe or to a young hart upon the mountains of spices.

Wise, wise dirty old man, Solomon!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.