Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Coat Of Arms
Skeptic Friend

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  10:31:57  Show Profile Send Coat Of Arms a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Link to photo of product.

Standard Dumbbels

On Monday I went shopping at the Sports Authority store; I was looking at a fairly new product called the Perfect Push up. The claim on the box indicated you engage more muscles,
Helps reduce joint strain, designed for all fitness levels. The Heavy-duty construction supports 300lbs. They were on display so I decided to check them out. I was approached by a stocky male sales person. He said,”hey”, it's a great product; I own a pair and use them as often as I can. He told me that most people who do the regular standard push up can only perform half the number of repetitions when using the perfect push up.

He said the product can cut you up (That's a term used by bodybuilders when the muscles are tone and visible) I could see it coming, and he finally asked if I would like to give it a try. I'm 61 and I look 61 and I think it's fair to say he noticed. I picked up the perfect push up and went into the prone position, he was giving me instructions how to position them, A little more then shoulder width apart. He said how many standard push ups you think you can perform. I said I was not sure but would do as many as I can. “Okay man just take it easy.” I completed 70 repetitions, stopping once at 55 to catch a breath. I have been training with weights four days a week since 1972 and keep an active membership with the local Gym. The salesman had a chuckle and asked what I thought of the product. I said lets look at the first claim,

1.You engage more muscles. The downward motion you swivel inward, and then move back to a parallel position at the top, you may be engaging more stabilizing muscles do to the swivel effect. The claim does seem to have merit. Engaging more muscle using the product as directed.
2. Helps reduce joint pain. A regular pushup is performed with palms down; this may put extra stress on the wrist joints. The perfect pushup is designed to use an over hand grip which does appear to relieve joint pain.
3. Designed for all fitness levels. Most fitness products are designed for the beginner, intermediate and advanced.

The salesman asked if I thought the product was worth the $39.00 dollars. I told him I didn't think the product was a rip off, and I don't believe the claims are deceiving. But I did explain I thought the product was not worth the money and the same results can be accomplished performing regular standard pushups.

The salesman had one last shot at convincing me it was more beneficial then the traditional push up. He said the perfect push up is designed with handles so when you move down you are increasing your range of motion. I agreed, but explained the extra four inches was not crucial when performing the exercise. He was still not convinced so I decided to show him I could perform the same exercise and get the same results using equipment I already owned or were
available in the Gym.

I took two dumb bells placed them on the floor, the height was similar to the perfect push up, I turned the dumb bells at a forty five degree angle out ward. Got down did a push up. I then turned them forty five degrees in ward and did one more push up. He did agree I could get similar results using a little ingenuity.

I would not purchase the product for $39.00 dollars. On a scale of 1-10 I would rate it a five. I can duplicate 96% of the claims using red ally available equipment.

Before I left the store I had one more thought for the salesman. I told him the only perfect push up was to have someone else perform it for you.

About the Founder
The training principles and innovations behind the Perfect Pushup and other BodyRev® products originated with Alden Mills, a seven year veteran of the Navy SEALs.

[Edited to turn overly wide image into a link

Paul C.

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  11:00:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have them down. You can, as you say, duplicate the slight increase in range of motion by using a square or hex shaped dumbell.

Or, take a couple of old phone books, wrap 'em up with duct tape, and use them as mini platforms for each hand.

He has another product called a "perfect pullup". Its just a fancy bar that attaches to your doorframe that you can do pullups on.

I don't know if either of them are worth the money, you can easily do the same excercises without them.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  11:11:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang, this thread isn't about lingerie.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  11:35:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2. Helps reduce joint pain. A regular pushup is performed with palms down; this may put extra stress on the wrist joints. The perfect pushup is designed to use an over hand grip which does appear to relieve joint pain.

This can also be fixed by doing them on your knuckles or my favorite: finger tips.

He said the perfect push up is designed with handles so when you move down you are increasing your range of motion. I agreed, but explained the extra four inches was not crucial when performing the exercise. He was still not convinced so I decided to show him I could perform the same exercise and get the same results using equipment I already owned or were available in the Gym.

Are you talking about having your elbow go less than 90 degrees? That isn't good for your elbow.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Coat Of Arms
Skeptic Friend

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  17:56:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Coat Of Arms a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ricky, to clear that up, when I agreed with the salesman I meant it does seem to extend the range of motion 4 inches which is the height of the handles, so when you are in the positive position of the exercise you're stretching your muscles 4 more inches. This is not necessary since a well executed push up will give you the same results.

Paul C.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  19:02:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Coat Of Arms:

Before I left the store I had one more thought for the salesman. I told him the only perfect push up was to have someone else perform it for you.
Honestly.

Also, thanks for sharing how a little critical thinking put into play is useful in every day life. And the really cool part, at least for me, and I'm guessing for you too, is it's fun to do.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  20:44:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SFN Bodybuilders.....

I use a small hydraulic lift to elevate my shoulders and upper torso, and a harness tied around my ass attached to a chain hoist to raise my lower body. I frequently can get close to the ceiling, depending on the wind and endurance of my Filipino houseboy who operates the chain hoist.

A great deal of skill is involved in synchronizing the movement of the hydraulic lift with the jerky motion of the chain hoists. I have shot several houseboys for inattention to this detail.

I usually do two or three repetitions a month, and it has kept the harness and the platform in excellent shape!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  23:42:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bng... you will never make it to Archvillian status unless you abandon such primitive mechanical toys...

You need a floaty chair or some kind of personal anti-gravity device!

Seriously though, the entire fitness world is saturated with nonsense, pseudoscience, garbage, and plain old bullshit.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Coat Of Arms
Skeptic Friend

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2008 :  05:00:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Coat Of Arms a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Coat Of Arms:

Honestly.

Also, thanks for sharing how a little critical thinking put into play is useful in every day life. And the really cool part, at least for me, and I'm guessing for you too, is it's fun to do.

Buyers beware, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. In my younger days these were just words I often heard my parents use. I was well past middle age when I truly discovered and understood the real meaning and definition. As a young man I started weight training, it soon became a life style. As I aged critical thinking was added to my life style. As for being "cool" it's a blast.

Paul C.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  11:53:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Duden....

Yah, yah, danke for der comparison to the Great Baron, mein mentor!

As ruthless and cruel as he is intelligent and cunning, the Baron's greatest skill is his talent for the subtle and clever manipulation of others through their weaknesses or his understanding of human nature.
Yah, vunderbar!! Is definitely me!

His sexual preference for young men is implied in Dune and Children of Dune.
Yah, Duden I vant you and Hummer to come over for dinner - ve all eat each other, all night long - vunderbar, vunderbar!
It is noted, however, that he "once permitted himself to be seduced" in the liaison which produced his secret daughter.
Yah, dis vas big mistake. Never no more girliefucking, never. Makes daughters - is vun big pain in der steiß!

Dankeschön und Tschüß! und Auf Wiedersehen, Duden, Zuckermäuschen!

Der Baron Wilhelm Vladimir Harkonnenbuck

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  11:54:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Der blödsinnig shitz software posted the same entry twice!

Scheißdreck!
Edited by - bngbuck on 05/26/2008 12:04:49
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  13:01:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bng.. I know I'm obnoxious, but its always good to see that there are people out there who surpass me. You are clearly royalty in the hierarchy of obnoxiousness.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  18:25:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Delicious Dude.....

You are clearly royalty in the hierarchy of obnoxiousness.
Thank you so very much my darling! I can't tell you how much the other night meant to me and Hummer, and all I've really got to say is your complements are just so! really sweet! Kissy, kissy, sweetheart, and don't be a stranger, bitch!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  18:59:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's enough of that. Off topic (with nothing that adds to the thread) and seriously boring.

Knock it off Bill!!!

Kil

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  21:19:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil.....

You are indeed a Sunday School teacher! I just can't figure out what Puritan pursuasion you were reared in to leave such a residue of prissyness, clear into your adulthood!

Off topic (with nothing that adds to the thread)
If you were to be consistent in that judgment, you would ban better than half of the content of SFN!

and seriously boring.
No, not boring. You, or no one else is qualified to judge what is boring to a majority of SFN members and lurkers, and besides, it was directed to Dude! Why not ask him if he was bored?

My post was perceived as not PC, as vast amounts of TV, cartoon, and print humor is not PC, today. Century 21! Now, not 1980!

Kil, I know you're the BIG BOSS and all that shit, but I really think there's more than a little bit of a power trip going on here!

If you want to discuss it publicly, I would be delighted to air this festering, sweep-it-under-any-euphemism-you-can-dream-up, problem. If not, I fully understand why you don't wish to discuss the reasons behind a dictatorial "That's enough of that." declaration.

I'm not the least bit interested in a keep-it-from-the-children PM exchange. I don't see any reason that anything you, Dude, Hummer, or any one else; and I have to discuss should not be available to all of the excellent ADULT participants in the SFN Forums! I really don't see SFN as a fragile kindergarten full of angst-ridden neurotics!

I think censorship is justifiable only when the the rationale is beyond reproach. I would like to debate the rationale for this knee-jerk response to forbidden subjects!! All the Critically-Thought-Out reasons!

Like Dick Cheney's Patriot Act! The DHS has a RIGHT to overhear anything a citizen may say, and punish those who say anything that those folks don't approve of! Because THEY know what's right and wrong! Well, I don't buy it! Sorry!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  21:44:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You jump into a thread about push ups and instead talk about eating each other and making babies. And of course this is done all whilst calling out specific members of the forum in a provocative way. That is trollish behavior, to say the least.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 05/26/2008 21:45:39
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.