New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  05:45:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by craiger

I find many of these posts interesting...There are several good and funny ones. But there are some that did not seem to grasp the main concept of my post.
My post was NOT about whether global warming is man caused or not. It was about trying to expose the hypocrisy of some folks.

I found it interesting that so many latched onto the buzz words "global warming" and not the concept of trying to expose the hypocrisy of certain people.

I then followed up with the concept that when there are extreme opposite points of view you get nowhere. If you want to get a point across, talk about what a person can see with his own eyes and not what two scientists disagree on. Again, that point, too was passed up.

the comment "Craiger doesn't like to read everyone" is unclear. What does that mean? I am obviously on the side of a clean planet, but could it be that isn't enough? I have heard blanket statements like that from Limbaugh and Hannity.

I find it useless to debate "man made global warming" because, as a couple of you have said, taking care of the pollution we can see and smell now will go a long way to combating any real or conjectured effects man has on the planetary weather.

I also use energy saving lightbulbs. They're high in fiber.

Just making light of someone who doesnt like to read, but wants to have a 'discussion' and the irony of long posts after such a statement.

Frankly your position, if interpreted correctly(you dont like to type either it seems) is a joke, GW is by far the biggest threat we face today, working on 'what we agree is a problem' is a joke.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  08:44:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not like it's a big shocker, but over at TPM, they're talking about how NASA's inspector general has confirmed that yes, the Bush administration was trying to "[block] the country's top scientists from talking publicly about global warming?"

Part of the problem in the fight to do something about global warming is that our own miserable government is doing all it can to keep ordinary people ignorant and confused.
Go to Top of Page

craiger

11 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  09:44:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send craiger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder who the real skeptics are...those who believe in man made global warming, those who don't believe in man made global warming, or those who don't believe either way because they know they don't have the actual data (and the scientific training to understand it),and suspect that BOTH sides are capable of molding the facts to achieve specific agendas.

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  09:49:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
None of the three options describes true skeptics,

I'd say,
Those who feel the data currently shows an overwhelming amount of verifiable facts which support MMGW.

Most of us round here fit into this category.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  20:51:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To add to what BPS said, skepticism has nothing to do with belief.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  21:45:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Craiger.....

If you've some substantive reason for doubting GW, let's hear it!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  23:25:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
craiger said:
I wonder who the real skeptics are...those who believe in man made global warming, those who don't believe in man made global warming, or those who don't believe either way because they know they don't have the actual data (and the scientific training to understand it),and suspect that BOTH sides are capable of molding the facts to achieve specific agendas.

What about those of us who have the data and have the training to understand it... and have no agenda?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.