Question on Skeptics
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Sixdays

20 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  02:17:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sixdays a Private Message
I'll have to wait for later to answer the "cut and paste post" .

In the mean while you can visit a few creationist sites and find your answers.

Would you like the links or can you find them yourselves?

Six days
Go to Top of Page

andysnape

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  04:20:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit andysnape's Homepage  Send andysnape a Yahoo! Message Send andysnape a Private Message
I had a chat with my father recently about this. He is a Catholic from Liverpool and he told me something very revealing, and I wondered if anyone out there could confirm this. Apparently, when he was at Catholic school, his teachers said that the Bible was "UNRELIABLE" and should not be taken as fact. I come from a Church of England background which has a different view but my dad says that it is a standard opinion in the Catholic Church that the Bible in unreliable as an historical text, and the other forms of scripture (not sure which) should be relied upon. If this is the case, then there are a lot of Catholics in this world, especially in America, whom the Pope nedds to have a little word with. I wonder which branch of Christianity Sixdays is from?
quote:

quote:
Am I allowed to be skeptical about the theory of evolution?

Of course you are allowed to be skeptical about the theory of evolution. Bear in mind though, that you will be expected to defend your position with some kind of verifiable evidence (and understand the difference between evidence and belief).

Also bear in mind that most us have already seen most of the standard arguments for the "Six Days" hypothesis. So do try to present something at least a little bit original. We get a little annoyed at having to rehash the same old creationist "proofs" again and again.

That being said, have at it.

P.S. Before you begin, you might want to take a look at the archives at [url http://www.talkorigins.org/]. That way you will already be familiar with the refutations of some of the more common creationist arguments so we won't have to repeat any of those here.

Edited by - espritch on 06/29/2002 20:06:40

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  04:20:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
If you feel you must, post the links. But, I'd wager that most if not all of us visit them occasionally.

Why do mostly unbelievers go to Creationist sites? Well that you might ask. The main reason is that we're curious. We might learn something. Another reason is that it's possible they might come up with something new and original. We'd like to see it. And a third reason is that they're often good for a laugh. We like to laugh.

Indeed, we got a good guffaw (once we got over being made ill by the subject matter)from Jack Chick's latest, comic masterpiece, just the other day. And Kent Hovind is always good for a chortle or two.

I, myself like Answers in Genesis and the Institute for Creation Research, two excellent repositories for evolutionary misinformation. Of course, my all time favorite is Landover Baptist.

I'm open to suggestions for other sites.

f

Evolution is a bankrupt speculative philosophy, not a scientific fact. Only a spiritually bankrupt society could ever believe it.... Only atheists could accept this Satanic theory.
-- Rev. Jimmy Swaggart (source unknown)

Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  06:03:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
quote:

You guys are funny, you ask me to do some research priot to asking questions then you don't take your own advice.

Gen 2 is just a more detailed re-cap of Gen 1 focusing on the creation of man.

Six days

That is why it calls God by a different name, presents him as far more human like, gives the creation account in a completly different order with different emphasis and does not show much similarity to the first account overall?

And don't worry filthy as far as I know Jigglypuff needs a moonstone to evolve. As long as you don't let him get close to any moonstones there should be no danger.

Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  06:16:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
quote:

I had a chat with my father recently about this. He is a Catholic from Liverpool and he told me something very revealing, and I wondered if anyone out there could confirm this. Apparently, when he was at Catholic school, his teachers said that the Bible was "UNRELIABLE" and should not be taken as fact. I come from a Church of England background which has a different view but my dad says that it is a standard opinion in the Catholic Church that the Bible in unreliable as an historical text, and the other forms of scripture (not sure which) should be relied upon. If this is the case, then there are a lot of Catholics in this world, especially in America, whom the Pope nedds to have a little word with.

From what I hear Catholics don't hold with a literal interpretation of the Bible as an historic or scientific text. Since the people that make the guidelines for Catholic belief tend to be somwhat educated that makes sense. I doubt catholic doctrine would phrase this as saying that the bible is unreliable, but that is what it comes down to from my understanding.

Unfortunetly creationist have made it look like the question is either Evolution or God completly ignoring that the vast majority of the Christians outside the US has no problems accepting both.
quote:

I wonder which branch of Christianity Sixdays is from?

Sixdays is obviously a Christian. There are no branches of christianity. There is only one true religion everybody who does not share Sixdays special believes is not a true christian. And the Pope is the anti-christ.

Go to Top of Page

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  06:20:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
Jeez, I go away for less than 24 hours and it all starts again.

I'm on nightshift and I have plenty of time tonight because it is quiet, cant wait to read some of the responses more thoroughly because they always get a laugh. Keep it up guys.

"Damn you people. Go back to your shanties." --- Shooter McGavin
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  06:48:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
And don't worry filthy as far as I know Jigglypuff needs a moonstone to evolve. As long as you don't let him get close to any moonstones there should be no danger.

Many thanks! I shall throw out all of my moonstones at once. I'd hate it if the puff became other than the docil, gentle animal that she is.

f

Evolution is a bankrupt speculative philosophy, not a scientific fact. Only a spiritually bankrupt society could ever believe it.... Only atheists could accept this Satanic theory.
-- Rev. Jimmy Swaggart (source unknown)

Go to Top of Page

Sixdays

20 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  15:00:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sixdays a Private Message

lars, you have absolutely no right making such claims about me.
Once again it shows you can't be a skeptic and a Christian creationist.

Sixdays is obviously a Christian. There are no branches of christianity. There is only one true religion everybody who does not share Sixdays special believes is not a true christian. And the Pope is the anti-christ.

Six days
Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  15:21:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
quote:

Once again it shows you can't be a skeptic and a Christian creationist.

I was making those guesses as an extrapolation of my previous experiences with creationists. If you are not like them at all and I have guessed wrong, I am very sorry.

Just out of curiosity where was I of? Are you not a Christian? Is it not nessecary to believe in creationism to believe in God? Is catholicism a valid interpretation of the scriptur? Is there no Anti-christ.

Go to Top of Page

Sixdays

20 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  15:49:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sixdays a Private Message
Salvation is based upon faith in Jesus Christ. To sum it up, go read John 3:16

One's belief in creation or evolution has nothing to do with salvation.

I might add, that a water downed version of the bible where Genesis becomes a "story" instead of a literal account has in some cases caused people to blieve that Jesus Christ was also just a storybook character. These people who listen to the theory of evolution and believed Jesus was also a story turned from their salvation when they denied Christ his Lordship in their lives.

Six days
Go to Top of Page

Xev
Skeptic Friend

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  15:50:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Xev an ICQ Message Send Xev a Private Message
quote:

Did he claim that you were a Christian? How offensive and insulting!

----------
Every problem has a solution. Only sometimes the solutions involve imaginary numbers and make my head hurt.
Go to Top of Page

Sixdays

20 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  15:54:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sixdays a Private Message

XEV, Why are you posting out of context on my and lars conversation?

Is this the way you skeptics work?

Six days
Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  16:02:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
quote:

Salvation is based upon faith in Jesus Christ. To sum it up, go read John 3:16

One's belief in creation or evolution has nothing to do with salvation.

I might add, that a water downed version of the bible where Genesis becomes a "story" instead of a literal account has in some cases caused people to blieve that Jesus Christ was also just a storybook character. These people who listen to the theory of evolution and believed Jesus was also a story turned from their salvation when they denied Christ his Lordship in their lives.

Six days

That is nice to know even if it is not a direct answer to my question. I guess that you mean that everyone who believes in Jesus is a christian? What exactly does one have to believe about Jesus to become a true christian? I know plenty of people who consider themselves christians, but are skeptical about several of the more miraculous events in the new testament.

Go to Top of Page

Sixdays

20 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  16:08:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sixdays a Private Message
I would say

virgin birth
died for your sins on the cross
resurrection on 3rd day
was God (trinity)

Six days
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  16:08:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
quote:

From what I hear Catholics don't hold with a literal interpretation of the Bible as an historic or scientific text.

A friend of mine who is a Jesuit priest and a college prof. calls it "the Protestant Cult of the Bible." Where the book itself, which the Catholics see as just an instruction manual, is seen as haveing magic powers.

-------
My business is to teach my aspirations to conform themselves to fact, not to try and make facts harmonize with my aspirations. ---Thomas Henry Huxley, 1860
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds.