Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2002 :  22:55:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
The bad news is that your mom won't feel better.
The good news is that you can use her to hold notes on your refrigerator door.

-------
My business is to teach my aspirations to conform themselves to fact, not to try and make facts harmonize with my aspirations. ---Thomas Henry Huxley, 1860
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2002 :  23:07:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

It's based on "chi" flow ... whatever the hell that is. Certainly not something ever demonstrated scientifically

Maybe it hasn't had scientific proof but I can tell you it is real. I can't begin to explain it on line like this but to make a long story short it's redirecting pain.

*Carabao forever.
-----------------
Bye, bye Los Angeles. SAN FERNANDO VALLEY SECESSION - YES.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2002 :  23:13:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

The CHI is the energy of the life force. Ha in Hawaiian, soul in English

I've never heard of it being connected to the soul from western philosophy. At least my teacher never mentioned it and I believe he was very knowledgable. It was years ago though so perhaps I don't remember everything.
Personaly I don't like making parallels from the east to the west. Things can be different and unique without comparing them to something else.

*Carabao forever.
-----------------
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2002 :  23:15:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

quote:
All you are left with are a bunch of little holes in you skin and a bigger hole in your wallet.

Not me. Insurance is paying for my acupuncture.

Yeah, I'm seeing an acupuncturist

Nerves in the body are connected and I think it could help.

*Carabao forever.
-----------------
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2002 :  23:17:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Regardless of whether or not you feel better, it's superstitious mumbo-jumbo.

It's not.

*Carabao forever.
-----------------
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2002 :  23:20:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

It's not as simple as "it either works or it's superstitious mumbo-jumbo". You can believe it works without believing in the metaphysical nonsense of chi or energy flows or whatever.

There are some theories about the needles being a counter-irritant, and/or stimulating bodily production of pain-relieving chemicals and endorphins, and theories that the needles directly affect the nervous system. However, these being empirical things, they have been tested, and placebo is still the most likely explanation.

Tokyo, thank you for explaining it a little more then I did.

*Carabao forever.
-----------------
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2002 :  23:27:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Well, just back from dinner and well it wasn't herbal medicines - which I thought from mom's explanation. It was, Magnetic Therapy Matresses.

I knew it! LOL.

*Carabao forever.
-----------------
Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2002 :  06:26:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:
All you are left with are a bunch of little holes in you skin and a bigger hole in your wallet.

Not me. Insurance is paying for my acupuncture.

Yeah, I'm seeing an acupuncturist

Nerves in the body are connected and I think it could help.

Quick question, Snake: How is are points on my wrists and ankles connected to my lungs and my kidneys? She also puts pins there as well.

The problem with my knee is that it is either pulled or strained and all the doctor said to treat it was to put ice on it and take Advil. That was almost two years ago. It's still bothering me.

TD, wouldn't you think that after a year of this that there would be some improvement?

Two more years...Two more years...Two more years...Two more years...Two more years...

*whine*
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2002 :  06:54:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Well, this is true, but the evidence seems to be non-existent that it's more than placebo.

My point was that it matters little what you believe. Your experience does not make for science. Just because you feel better, doesn't make it more than superstitious mumbo-jumbo, which it probably is.

quote:

[quote]
It's not as simple as "it either works or it's superstitious mumbo-jumbo". You can believe it works without believing in the metaphysical nonsense of chi or energy flows or whatever.

"Not one human life should be expended in this reckless violence called a war against terrorism." - Howard Zinn
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2002 :  07:25:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:

TD, wouldn't you think that after a year of this that there would be some improvement?

It's been studied, and found lacking. Any improvement would most likely not be due to any needle-poking, at least other than psychological expectation of it working making the pain lessen.

------------

You can tell she's hydrolic...
Her silver scream is supersonic
You can see the mercury smear in her eye...
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2002 :  07:26:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:

Well, this is true, but the evidence seems to be non-existent that it's more than placebo.

Correct.

------------

You can tell she's hydrolic...
Her silver scream is supersonic
You can see the mercury smear in her eye...
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2002 :  17:03:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Quick question, Snake: How is are points on my wrists and ankles connected to my lungs and my kidneys? She also puts pins there as well.

I don't know. I just report the news I don't make it. Read a book.
quote:

The problem with my knee is that it is either pulled or strained and all the doctor said to treat it was to put ice on it and take Advil. That was almost two years ago. It's still bothering me.

Hey, I broke my back over 25 years ago and the pain never went away. Join the club! Doctors don't know everything (probably should say, not all doctors have the same information). You have to keep trying until you find one that can help. IF there is help for you.

*Carabao forever.
-----------------
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2002 :  23:18:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:

Two more years...Two more years...Two more years...Two more years...Two more years...

*whine*

There may be other problems with your knee that aren't showing up in a physical exam. Have you been through physical therapy yet? Or have they tried local steroid injection (no I don't like them either)? James, the only fix for my knee is surgery and laying the knee completely open - there's too much damage to be corected through orthoscopic surgery. Best advice - get the quad and VMO strong again - those are the two big muscles on the tops of your leg and help to the patella in place. It took 3 years to find a physical therapist who noticed that my VMO was atrophied and knew how to deal with that type of injury. Do those physical therapy exercises and get some of those thera-bands to work with at home.

---
...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young
Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2002 :  06:49:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
quote:

quote:

*whine*

There may be other problems with your knee that aren't showing up in a physical exam. Have you been through physical therapy yet? Or have they tried local steroid injection (no I don't like them either)? James, the only fix for my knee is surgery and laying the knee completely open - there's too much damage to be corected through orthoscopic surgery. Best advice - get the quad and VMO strong again - those are the two big muscles on the tops of your leg and help to the patella in place. It took 3 years to find a physical therapist who noticed that my VMO was atrophied and knew how to deal with that type of injury. Do those physical therapy exercises and get some of those thera-bands to work with at home.

I haven't been in physical therapy. Nor have they given me any steroids, other than for my lungs. For me, it only hurts when I have been standing for a few hours and sometimes it will hurt on its own. I can walk and do excersize for a long time before I have to sit down, and that'll be because of my lungs, MTL.

IMO, I think I need a nice, good all over massage.

*whine*
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2002 :  10:22:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
I've never heard of it being connected to the soul from western philosophy.
More precisely the SPIRIT.
The Chi, Ha, and Spirit are all misunderstandings of the respiratory system. They are your breath which was thought to be something magical. It's why you bless someone when they sneeze-because their spirit is outside their bodies where demons can catch it (that's why some people sicken and die after they sneeze-the demons caught their spirit)
At least my teacher never mentioned it and I believe he was very knowledgable.
Was your teacher interested in scientific fact ? Would telling you what Chi actually is insure that tuition was forth coming, or would his students walk?
Personaly I don't like making parallels from the east to the west.
Why not? There are many cross cultural myths.
Things can be different and unique without comparing them to something else. And things aren't always unique at all. Asians aren't any more magical than people in the west-their superstitions are no more valid than ours are. And you don't have any Chi flowing around inside of you any more than they do.
I've spent years in Asia, all of their best doctors practice western medicine and stay away from primitive superstition, just like our best doctors.

-------
My business is to teach my aspirations to conform themselves to fact, not to try and make facts harmonize with my aspirations. ---Thomas Henry Huxley, 1860
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.54 seconds.