Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

chainsaw
Skeptic Friend

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2002 :  20:24:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chainsaw a Private Message
Interesting link to Pantheism definition, PhDreamer. I would agree that most times I am content to express non-confrontational amazement at our insignificance with respect to the scale of the universe but I don't equate that with “god”. I do not believe that nature equates to god. Naturalism is more like what I hold on to with the exception that I don't believe that all phenomena are necessarily explained mechanistically. Who really knows what is in all those other dimensions of string theory. And aren't most or all atheists naturalists too?

I disagree with Gorgo on one point. Just because you label something as “god” doesn't mean you are theist. When I say that god is truth, I only mean it as a label that allows me to communicate a concept to my religious friends who would miss the point entirely without it.

So, I still think I'm an atheist. And may god strike me with a bolt of lightening if I'm not!

You can "believe" what you want, but you do have to get your science right or you'll flunk science.
Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  04:57:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Denise
Why are the definitions so muddled. Why can't atheists and agnostics make up their minds?
troll ...

For the philosophical naturalist, the rejection of supernaturalism is a case of "death by a thousand cuts." -- Barbara Forrest, Ph.D.
Go to Top of Page

welshdean
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  08:57:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send welshdean a Private Message
I don't know if its cultural differences or not. We, in the UK ascribe quite different definitions to both;
AGNOSTIC:noun/ person who believes that the existence of god is not provable.
ATHEIST:noun/ belief that no god exists.

As you can see, neither implies the existence of any deity, thus removing a few of the problems
in earlier posts.

I'll proffer that I consider myself a firm agnostic atheist. In other words, because the existence of god is unproven, I can't believe he exists. Remember the immortal words of - drumroll please - Mr Sagan, (now HE was a god)
"extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
(I appreciate I've not quoted verbatim, so please forgive me for paraphrasing.
And there we have it, clear as mud!!

"Frazier is so ugly he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wild Life."

"I am America. I am the part you won't recognize, but get used to me. Black, confident, cocky. My name, not yours. My religion, not yours. My goals, my own. Get used to me."

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."

---- Muhammad Ali

Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  09:56:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ReasonableDoubt

quote:
Originally posted by Denise
Why are the definitions so muddled. Why can't atheists and agnostics make up their minds?
troll ...

Settle down, RD. Denise is a crossover from the JREF board. Not every skeptic has been over atheism/agnosticism as much as some of us.

I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery.
-Agent Smith
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  12:04:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
As has been said, an atheist is someone who lacks a god belief. Most agnostics I've encountered lack a god belief, therefore they are agnostic atheists.

A theist who believes that god(s) exist, but is/are unknowable is an agnostic theist.

In my humble opinion, many who declare themselves agnostic do so because of the social stigma of being an "atheist". By claiming not to know either way, they feel they rise above the two "warring camps", and are content to sit on the fence.

Personally, I find the common definition of agnosticism ("I don't know, and you don't either!") a bit indefensible.
Edited by - Tokyodreamer on 11/26/2002 12:05:12
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  12:50:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
If you label something as "god" and think it is "god" then you are a theist. If you label something as "god" and think it isn't "god" that would make you, well, uncomfortable with the truth.

quote:
Originally posted by chainsaw

I disagree with Gorgo on one point. Just because you label something as “god” doesn't mean you are theist.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  13:10:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PhDreamer

Denise is a crossover from the JREF board.
Oh. Well, in that case, ...

For the philosophical naturalist, the rejection of supernaturalism is a case of "death by a thousand cuts." -- Barbara Forrest, Ph.D.
Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  13:37:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:

I'm simply describing a cosmological power (or call it energy, or force, or whatever) that is organizing the universe as we observe it that we must recognize.

I see no difference between "a cosmological power ... organizing the universe" and "Intelligent Design". Let me ask you a question: Is this 'cosmological power" purposeful, i.e., goal-directed?

I ask because intentionality is the quality I infer from your use of the term "organizing". One would not, for example, talk of tides "organizing" a shoreline, or plate tectonics "organizing" a mountain. However, once you posit an 'Intentional Organizer' with "cosmological power", you've claimed no less than any other theist who embraces the God-of-the-Gaps.

Go to Top of Page

NubiWan
Skeptic Friend

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  14:16:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send NubiWan a Private Message
Ummm.., well thanks folks, for that little outpouring. Dunno if Denise got anything from it or not, but me did. After all this time on SFN, how did me miss "Pantheism," (tanx PHDmr), am sure it was there all the time? To muddle the water some more, or just reveal me own muddled thinking. No 'religion' that have encountered, projects a vision of "God," that can accept as reality. And actually have quibbles with the accepted concept of a 'god' altogether, too human like in form, implying dependence on conditions to thrive. Atheist? Still accept and embrace the concept of the "divine" as part of human, or at the least my own, existence. Yes, "the view that Nature and God are one, that the world universe is divine," rings me bell.

So now have a label, too, that can live with, not that it really matters all that much. All our questions and curiousity, will be satisfied soon enough. Let's not rush to the last page, let us just enjoy the moment...

Go to Top of Page

Blue Monk

11 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  14:19:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Blue Monk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ReasonableDoubt

quote:

I'm simply describing a cosmological power (or call it energy, or force, or whatever) that is organizing the universe as we observe it that we must recognize.

I see no difference between "a cosmological power ... organizing the universe" and "Intelligent Design". Let me ask you a question: Is this 'cosmological power" purposeful, i.e., goal-directed?

I ask because intentionality is the quality I infer from your use of the term "organizing". One would not, for example, talk of tides "organizing" a shoreline, or plate tectonics "organizing" a mountain. However, once you posit an 'Intentional Organizer' with "cosmological power", you've claimed no less than any other theist who embraces the God-of-the-Gaps.

I don't speak for chainsaw, of course, but I don't agree that the use of the word organizing in this context automatically assumes a consciousness or intent.

Crystals form due to the fact that their molecules are shaped in such a way that they become self-organized and take a very precise shape.

If you pour a liquid into a container it will then assume the shape of the container.

Neither of these events requires any decision on the part of the liquid or the crystal molecules or any other outside entity.

Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  14:19:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
Just to further muddy the water:
  • Atheist: Without belief in any god
  • Agnostic: Without knowledge (implied: of a god)
It is impossible to believe in something if you have no knowledge of it; thus, all agnostics are atheists. All atheists, however, are not agnostics, since they may know there is no god.

I call myself an agnostic since it is more explanatory, like calling someone a Catholic rather than just Christian.
Edited by - Boron10 on 11/26/2002 14:20:52
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  14:38:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
Funny, I always considered you a quintessential pantheist, Nubi, to the point that it never occurred to me you might not have encountered that word. Glad to be of service.

I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery.
-Agent Smith
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  14:39:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Doesn't that make it all clear?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  15:41:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Monk

I don't speak for chainsaw, of course, but I don't agree that the use of the word organizing in this context automatically assumes a consciousness or intent.
I never said that it did. I took responsibility for my inferrences and asked chainsaw a direct question.

Edited by - ConsequentAtheist on 11/26/2002 15:45:58
Go to Top of Page

chainsaw
Skeptic Friend

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2002 :  15:46:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chainsaw a Private Message
I guess I need to speak up for myself. Blue Monk did accurately described what I meant by organizing; such as, black holes have organized galaxies. Intelligent design would say “and then a miracle occurs” to explain an unknown and attribute the miracle to a Santa Claus type figure.

It seems to me that there is a larger reality that we can't deny. Such as the distances to the end of the observable universe exists, that gravity forces exist, maybe strings exist and things undiscovered exist that dwarf our human existence.

Going back to one of my first statements, that historically man has explained the unknown as god(s). I'm taking that historical tendency and saying that in the unknown (god, as history has labeled it) there is truth, a reality not revealed. Add that to truth known (if we ever could agree on that) and you get what? And then what would you call it? The end of learning?

Maybe better to say there is no god, only truth.

I would state that I believe in the truth of reality, accepting the fact that a lot of what I see or experience could be an illusion, but isn't that just another reality.

Maybe my whole problem is not whether there is a god, or that I have misrepresented myself through mislabeling stuff, but does reality really exist?

You can "believe" what you want, but you do have to get your science right or you'll flunk science.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds.