Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  15:56:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
LOL, TG!
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  21:47:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TG

Obviously, this poll is related to the "Idiot Professor" thread (http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2002-12/uow-wam121802.php). It's nothing more than a blatant attempt to determine the percentage of potential murderers and rapists among the atheistic barbarians that frequent the SFN.

Huh? Is that a joke, if not I don't get it.
Hey! Just because there are a few people I'd like to murder what does that have to do with anything?
Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  07:31:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
I responded but, as everyone knows, "Org" is a male surname and "Computer" is a male GivenName, which makes my declaration redundant.

Why are skeptical posters a LargeMajority male? My guess is that women are natural NaySayers (--a mother's most common word to her TinyTot? "NO!!"--) and, thus, have little to be truly-skeptical about. More: Mothers have a typical conversation with their todlers thusly: "What are you doing? Whatever it is, STOP IT!"---again making true-skepticism decidedly 'weak-tea'.

As to TG's link captioned "Why are men less religious? It may be form of risk-taking just as criminal behavior is", I say "Hogwash!". It's not that men are less religious but that women are more religious. Once again, I think that the reason is MotherHood-based: LittleKids know nothing and are, thus, willing to take everything they see or hear in a LitterallyTrue sense. I suspect that LittleKids (--PreToddler--) see and hear a lot of things that we 'GrownUps' don't, (--things we usually call "immaginary"--), and that the accuracy/truth of enough of these things give women a natural belief in spirituality (--or, as it is sometimes called, "religion").

My thoughts, anyway.

[Edited to add two clarifying conjunctive words.]

Do thou amend thy face, and I'll amend my life. --Falstaff
Edited by - Computer Org on 01/13/2003 08:10:31
Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  08:23:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
As a PostScriptive kind of afterthought I note that (--as I read it, which might well be an incorrect reading--) the ModernPhysics concept of Mirror Matter says that while Mirror Matter from an "alternative Universe" cannot be detected, some energy effects would 'leak through' to our Universe. (This is what makes an "invisible asteroid" made up of mostly-MirrorMatter so dangerous.)

If someone not yet trained to see and/or hear only what everyone else sees or hears, (--for example a TinyTot or a "NutCase", people revered in ancient societies but who are fed drugs in ours--), they might well be able to sort-of-see or sort-of-hear actual things which exist in the "alternative Universe" but which do not exist in ours.

Interesting implication, anyway.

BTW, I discussed the concept of Mirror Matter in a thread by that name in the Astronomy Forum.

Do thou amend thy face, and I'll amend my life. --Falstaff
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2003 :  01:47:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Computer Org
Why are skeptical posters a LargeMajority male? My guess is that women are natural NaySayers (--a mother's most common word to her TinyTot? "NO!!"--) and, thus, have little to be truly-skeptical about. More: Mothers have a typical conversation with their todlers thusly: "What are you doing? Whatever it is, STOP IT!"---again making true-skepticism decidedly 'weak-tea'.

Gee! That's kind of a wide generality. Not all mothers say no so quickly or all the time. I certainly don't remember mine doing that.
In fact I remember my father argueing with her all the time about our up bringing. She wanted us to learn and expierement he wanted disaplin. Oh well, we only know our own lives, maybe mine was so different.
Go to Top of Page

Josh

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2003 :  01:01:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Josh an ICQ Message  Send Josh a Yahoo! Message Send Josh a Private Message
I'm sure that men will post more.

I'd like to see the result !

V8Impact is the home of your Aussie V8Supercars !
Go to Top of Page

Radar

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  06:09:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Radar a Private Message
I voted but I clicked the male option by mistake...sorry

So much for grand entrances first post and I admit to an error.

Tact is the ability to tell a man he has an open mind when he has a hole in his head.

I spy with my little eye a UFO, Unattached fit object.
Go to Top of Page

Jelly Fish

46 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  03:58:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Jelly Fish an AOL message Send Jelly Fish a Private Message
lol Radar...

there were only 2 options....at which point did you get confused?

Anyway, nice to meet you. I'm from the UK as well. At least thats where I'm floating at the moment.

Jelly fish

Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2003 :  09:55:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
Hey, we girls aren't raised to be skeptical. We're supposed to be trusting and agreeable... which explains why I log on here but can't get a date!

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Radar

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2003 :  13:47:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Radar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly Fish

lol Radar...

there were only 2 options....at which point did you get confused?

Anyway, nice to meet you. I'm from the UK as well. At least thats where I'm floating at the moment.

Jelly fish

I saw male and that was it clicked it.
Don't suppose I could get away with I thought it was an option to get a male and I eagerly clicked the button to receive one would I???......no I didn't think so I'll just get my coat

You look just like me are you my clone

Tact is the ability to tell a man he has an open mind when he has a hole in his head.

Edited by - Radar on 03/30/2003 13:51:25
Go to Top of Page

Radar

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2003 :  13:59:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Radar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy

Hey, we girls aren't raised to be skeptical. We're supposed to be trusting and agreeable... which explains why I log on here but can't get a date!

Come on people have you seen Wendy's pic? Line up form an orderly queue please and pay me $10 for pointing her out:D

Male or female preference I will personally vet them for you Wendy free of charge, but I will make them pay $10 so I can make sure they have washed behind their ears cleaned and own their teeth,(teeth nicking international crime you know, and you can never be to careful) etc, before sending them to you:D OK

Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2003 :  16:35:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy

Don't know if Wendy is being sarcastic or funny or what but if serious, I say......Give me a break!
I'm tired of women saying....Poor me, while they take men to the cleaners.
Go to Top of Page

Lynne

USA
1 Post

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  12:55:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lynne a Private Message
I was pleased to see that, based on the ratio of men to women as presented in the poll, there is some potential here for meeting friends of the opposite gender from whom I don't have to conceal my propensity to doubt the supernatural and the theistic.
Women other than myself HAVE noticed the gender imbalance at skeptical events -- in person, it seems like there are five men to every woman. And I'm sure there are a lot of reasons why this holds true, just as there remain fewer women in the hard sciences than men. Skeptics -- especially non-theists -- are such a minority in this universe that we're better off sticking together than not!
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  21:16:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
You have come to the right place, Lynne. Or one of them, at least. Though we don't get many 12-year-old widows here.

Welcome!

I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery.
-Agent Smith
Go to Top of Page

niamh

Zimbabwe
8 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  06:19:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send niamh an ICQ Message Send niamh a Private Message
well.. i voted as well..
")))
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds.