Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

tergiversant
Skeptic Friend

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2001 :  14:01:54  Show Profile  Visit tergiversant's Homepage  Send tergiversant a Yahoo! Message Send tergiversant a Private Message
Poll Question:

What forms of biotech research (to include stem cell research, cloning, and genetic engineering) should be legally prohibited?

Results:
Nothing, so long as no physical harm is done.   [70%] 90 votes
Genetic manipulation of human adults or children.   [5%] 7 votes
Genetic manipulation of human fetuses or fetal cells.   [5%] 6 votes
Genetic manipulation of human embryonic or zygotic cells.   [2%] 2 votes
Genetic manipulation of any animals, including humans.   [4%] 5 votes
Genetic manipulation of any plants or animals.   [2%] 3 votes
Any genetic manipulation whatsoever.   [12%] 16 votes

Poll Status: Locked  »»   Total Votes: 129 counted  »»   Last Vote: 06/28/2005 19:01:57 

Zandermann
Skeptic Friend

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2001 :  22:44:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Zandermann an AOL message Send Zandermann a Private Message
I see no reason to prohibit any of these types of research via legislation. We're not talking about basement chemistry sets here, so the possibility of some 'abuse' is practically nil, in my opinion.

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2001 :  00:08:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
I also wonder how a term like "physical harm" could be twisted by lawyers

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

Don2cypup

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2001 :  07:42:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Don2cypup's Homepage  Send Don2cypup an AOL message Send Don2cypup a Private Message
I not only agree with both Zandermann, and @tomic, but, pointing out as well,those Scientists involved within the biomedical field of Science have a keen sense of Ethics that would have/could have been involved with this Biotech Research. I seriously doubt anyone within it was going to play "Dr. Frankenstein", and create the monster,or resort to unethical practices for personal gains, or power. Imagine what other side benefits may have been gained, such as discovering preventions or cures, [via genetic coding] for irreversible conditions/diseases known today in mankind that still remain unanswered, or barely treatable. That real possiblity alone is worth it!..Could this [law banning it] be a result, in part, of the morality code based on "certain religious beliefs"[aka "Moral Majority"] of those in power to veto its entire concept?..I must truly wonder just how "scientifically based" this decision was to ban Biotech?...My senator needs some communications from me, as well!...Donna..[is posting this same message in Kil's Topic, too!]...
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2001 :  13:44:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
Rats! Ignore that first "Any genetic manipulation whatsoever" vote. I read the question wrong. The first choice is what I should have selected.

------------

Ma gavte la nata!
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2001 :  13:48:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:
I seriously doubt anyone within it was going to play "Dr. Frankenstein", and create the monster,or resort to unethical practices for personal gains, or power.

Unfortunately, while not directly related to cloning, there is significant evidence that the Chinese are doing exactly this. Harvesting organs from prison inmates, for profit. So I wouldn't "seriously" doubt it. But I'm sure it would be very rare (hopefully), and easily exposed.

Too bad that in the U.S., it seems to only take a few bad examples to ruin it for everyone.

------------

Ma gavte la nata!
Go to Top of Page

comradebillyboy
Skeptic Friend

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2001 :  01:13:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send comradebillyboy a Private Message
quote:

those Scientists involved within the biomedical field of Science have a keen sense of Ethics

sorry, too many documented cases of the united states government doing medical research on human subjects without their knowledge or consent,

comrade billyboy
Go to Top of Page

Dog_Ed
Skeptic Friend

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2001 :  01:53:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dog_Ed's Homepage Send Dog_Ed a Private Message
Hmmm. Anybody remember thalidomide? If genetic manipulation of fetuses results in similar well-intentioned mistakes then it will be a tragedy. At this point (which is as far as my crystal ball will take me) I would not favor messing about with any fetuses which are then allowed to develop into human beings.

"Even Einstein put his foot in it sometimes"
Go to Top of Page

Bradley
Skeptic Friend

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2001 :  18:41:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bradley a Private Message
Cloning of humans should be restricted to Nobel laureates only. This technology should not be used for cloning yuppies who think the world would be so much better off with several genetic duplicates of themselves.

There is so much hooraw about "the spectre of eugenics." Personally, I don't find that quite so disturbing as the spectre of using fertility drugs so that lowlife yokels can spit out several progeny at a shot.

"Too much doubt is better than too much credulity."

-Robert Green Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
Go to Top of Page

Deborah
Skeptic Friend

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2001 :  01:25:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Deborah a Private Message
I think that I will have myself and my cat, Mr. Kitty, cloned. Immortality! Ahhhhh

Maybe I could get a buy 1 get 1 free deal

Go to Top of Page

bestonnet_00
Skeptic Friend

Australia
358 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2001 :  03:01:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send bestonnet_00 an ICQ Message  Send bestonnet_00 a Yahoo! Message
Cloning wont give immortality.

Radioactive GM Crops.

Slightly above background.

Safe to eat.

But no activist would dare rip it out.

As they think it gives them cancer.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2001 :  11:05:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
What is the god damn big deal about this?
As Dr. Edell says, congress has no business deciding scientific arguments. I'm paraphrasing but you get the idea. Congress doesn't have the knowledge or understanding to make medical choices.

Rap Crap is to music what Paint by Numbers is to art.
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2001 :  17:46:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
I cannot see the problems people have with this topic. There is an irrationality with dealing with something which is so very, very tiny as if it were a full grown child. A zygote is not a child by any stretch of the imagination. The only difference that a zygote has from an ovum is the spermatozoon's contribution. Big deal. Without that extra spermatozoon contribution, it would hardly be considered as anything of value...

ljbrs

Perfection Is a State of Growth...
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2001 :  17:50:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
Spermatozoa are lost in the sheets all of the time. Nobody seems to lose sleep over those...

ljbrs

Perfection Is a State of Growth...
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2001 :  18:00:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
"We must preserve our precious bodily fluids!" - Gen. Jack D. Ripper
...from the movie Dr. Strangelove
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2001 :  18:14:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
quote:
Spermatozoa are lost in the sheets all of the time. Nobody seems to lose sleep over those...

Actually, I have been losing sleep over them. It's good to know where the little buggers have gone off to.

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.