New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Julie_Bris

Australia
24 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2003 :  21:14:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Julie_Bris an ICQ Message Send Julie_Bris a Private Message

A blonde travelling economy class on a flight from Los Angeles to San Frencisco decides to go and sit in first class. A flight attendant informs her that she must move back to economy class and the blonde replies “I'm blonde, I'm beautiful so I can sit here”. Then the head flight attendant tells her that she must move back to economy class and once again the blonde replies “I'm blonde, I'm beautiful so I can sit here”.
Finally the captain of the aircraft approaches the blonde; he leans over and whispers something to her. Next thing you see is the blonde relocating back to economy class.

The flight attendants amazed, asked the captain what he said to her to make her move back to economy class, he replied “I told her that this part of the aircraft does not stop in San Francisco”.

My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, racism and arrogance.
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Spock
Skeptic Friend

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2004 :  00:44:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mr. Spock a Private Message
I've been lost at sea for a while. Hope everyone is OK. Hope no one has told this one already!

Adam is wandering about in the garden of Eden when God approaches him and says "Adam, I think you need a companion." Adam says, hot damn, you bet! What's the catch? God tells him "well, it'll cost an arm and a leg." Adam replies, "what can I get for a rib?"

"The amount of noise which anyone can bear stands in inverse proportion to his mental capacity." --Schopenhauer
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Spock
Skeptic Friend

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  16:48:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mr. Spock a Private Message
OK, if you aren't jazzed by that one, how's this:

What does Wal-Mart and Michael Jackson have in common?

They both have boy's pants 1/2 off.
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  18:21:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
An egg and two strips of bacon walk into a bar. The bartender says, "I'm sorry, but we don't serve breakfast here."

What's green and flies over Germany?

Snotsees.

Yes, my sense of humor stopped maturing at age 8.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  20:13:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Where did Hitler keep his armies? Up his sleevies.

How did he tie his shoesies? In little knotsies.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Huluhae

16 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2004 :  17:02:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Huluhae's Homepage  Send Huluhae a Yahoo! Message Send Huluhae a Private Message
There was this door to door salesman trying his best to make a sale. He walks up to a house, knocks on the door. A little boy opens it and the salesman says "Little boy, is your mama home?" Little boy replies, "Yes sir, she's out in the backyard having sex with a goat." Salesman says, "Little boy, are you lying to me?" Boy says,
"No sir, mom's always in the back yard having sex with a goat." Salesman asks, "And this doesn't bother you?"
"Na-a-a-a-a-ah"

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  15:06:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
These came from the former Superintendent of the Albany City School District, who shared the following examples of metaphors used by some recent high schoolers in his district (yes, these are actual excerpts from essays).

1. Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two sides gently compressed by a Thigh Master.

2. His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free.

3. He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, like a guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it.

4. She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef.

5. She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up.

6. Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever.

7. He was as tall as a six-foot-three-inch tree.

8. The revelation that his marriage of 30 years had disintegrated because of his wife's infidelity came as a rude shock, like a surcharge at a formerly surcharge-free ATM.

9. The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.

10. McBride fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a Hefty bag filled with vegetable soup.

11. From the attic came an unearthly howl. The whole scene had an eerie, surreal quality, like when you're on vacation in another city and The Simpsons comes on at 7:00 p.m. instead of 7:30.

12. Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.

13. The hailstones leaped from the pavement, just like maggots when you fry them in hot grease

14. Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at
6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

15. They lived in a typical suburban neighborhood with picket fences that resembled Nancy Kerrigan's teeth.

16. John and Melinda had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had also never met.

17. He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant and she was the East River.

18. Even in his last years, Grandpappy had a mind like a steel trap, only one that had been left out so long, it had rusted shut.

19. Shots rang out, as shots are wont to do.

20. The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike Phil, this plan just might work.

21. The young fighter had a hungry look, the kind you get from not eating for awhile.

22. "Oh, Jason, take me!", she panted, her breasts heaving like a college freshman on dollar beer night.

23. He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck, either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

24. The ballerina rose gracefully en pointe and extended one slender leg behind her, like a dog at a fire hydrant.

25. It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools.

26. He was deeply in love. When she spoke, he thought he heard bells, as if she were a garbage truck backing up.

27. She was as easy as the TV Guide crossword puzzle.

28. Her eyes were like limpid pools, only they had forgotten to put in any pH cleanser.

29. She walked into my office like a centipede with 98 missing legs.

30. It hurt the way your tongue hurts after you accidentally staple it to the wall.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  17:06:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Randy

These came from the former Superintendent of the Albany City School District, who shared the following examples of metaphors used by some recent high schoolers in his district (yes, these are actual excerpts from essays).

quote:
9. The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.
This one has a Terry-Pratcheteque feeling to it...

quote:
10. McBride fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a Hefty bag filled with vegetable soup.
Graphic, but yet compellingly descriptive.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  17:25:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Randy wrote:
quote:
Well, given that this is the Skeptic Friends Network (even in the Humor Folder), I find it my duty to inform the readers here that, as it says on this page:
quote:
Many of these originated in Douglas Grant's Style Invitational from the Washington Post, July 23, 1995 - since sent around the Internet many times!
The contest was for the best bad analogy one might find in a High School paper.

Not only that, but all 30 are similies. There's not a metaphor amongst 'em.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  19:02:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Looks like the cat fell off the fence with that so-called metaphor list.
Well...just seeing if you guys are on your toes.
Nice catch, Dave. Surprising what else the dog coughed up on the internet...

http://www.mistupid.com/people/page027.htm

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  20:00:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Yeah, I used to read the Style Invitational religiously. As soon as I said to myself, "hey, these lines sounds like things adults would write when purposefully trying to badly imitate kids," I had to Google up a key phrase or two. Long before I got to the bottom of the page I linked to, I was already sure of the source, as "Chuck Smith" and "Joseph Romm" had entries printed almost every week.

Ah, here are the last 100 Style Invitationals, for your reading pleasure. And, as we can see, Chuck Smith is still at it:
quote:
The lead news story of Feb. 29, 2032:

Tree Museum Opens; People Pay a Dollar and a Half Just to See Them (Chuck Smith, Woodbridge)

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  20:33:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Brings to mind this wonderful site. Hadn't thought of it for a couple of years. Got a lot reading up to do!
http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/

-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  10:07:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
I don't know whether you already saw this link, but I think it's hilarious (and appropriate it this time of year).
Let's put peeps under intensive scientific investigation!

http://www.peepresearch.org/index.html

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2004 :  08:23:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
28 years ago, John Smith, a Tennessee mountian man, joined the US Army.

On the morning of the first day of Basic training, he was issued a tooth brush. Later that afternoon, an Army dentist pulled several of his teeth.

The next morning, he was issued a comb. Later that afternoon, an Army barber shaved his head.

The next morning, he was issued a jock strap.

The Army is still looking for John Smith.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  20:40:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
So, the CIA decides to start a new program, for developing agents who will be unrelenting towards the completion of their missions. A "never say die" attitude, coupled with a lack of fear (and a slight amount of blood-lust). Following the popular movie, they decide to call these new agents Terminators.

Beginning with hundreds of candidates, the CIA runs them through all sorts of tests, training and live-fire scenarios. After just a few months, most of the field has washed out, leaving just two men and one woman.

They bring one of the men into an office. The program director tells him, "your wife is in the next room. Here is a handgun, go inside and kill her." The man walks into the room and closes the door.

15 minutes later, the man comes out. His face is puffy, his eyes are red. He puts the gun down on the desk, and says, "she's the mother of my children. I just couldn't do it. I guess I'm not Terminator material."

They usher him out, and bring in the next man. The director again tells him, "your wife is in the next room. Take this gun and go kill her." The man walks into the room and closes the door.

20 minutes later, he comes out, tears still falling down his face. "I love her. I failed."

So, they usher him out, and bring in the woman. The director tells her, "your husband is in the next room. Take this handgun and kill him." She walks into the room, and closes the door.

Seconds later, the director hears three shots ring out. There's a pause, some cursing, and then he hears low thumping and the crashing of furniture and glass.

Thirty seconds later, the woman walks out. She says to the program director, "some idiot put blanks in the gun. I had to beat him to death."

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.68 seconds.