Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  16:49:26  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
I just took an on line survey that was asking what kind of vehicles people drive, the results were:
over 50% of people drive regular cars and between vans and those dumb ass giant rude things called suv's the %age was about the same, approx. 13% each and people who use mass transit just slightly lower. So I was thinking, why do we see so many of those disgusting road hog, gas wasting, ugly monster things(suv) on the streets?
What do you drive:
(will the price of gas or concern about the environment change what you buy in the future?)
Car
Truck
Van
Motorcycle
Bicycle
suv
Public Transportation

walt fristoe
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  18:30:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send walt fristoe a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Snake

I just took an on line survey that was asking what kind of vehicles people drive, the results were:
over 50% of people drive regular cars and between vans and those dumb ass giant rude things called suv's the %age was about the same, approx. 13% each and people who use mass transit just slightly lower. So I was thinking, why do we see so many of those disgusting road hog, gas wasting, ugly monster things(suv) on the streets?
What do you drive:
(will the price of gas or concern about the environment change what you buy in the future?)
Car
Truck
Van
Motorcycle
Bicycle
suv
Public Transportation

I don't drive anything. While I'll admit that cars have become a necessary evil, I still hate them, I don't like driving them, or even riding in them, though I have on occasion. I think the price of petrol should be very much higher, it's the only way to force a change in our transportation habits. Unfortunately, then only the rich would be able to drive, which I'm sure they'd love!

"If God chose George Bus of all the people in the world, how good could God be?"
Bill Maher
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  19:27:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
My wheels are a pretty much standard redneck-mobile: an '86 Ford 150 pickup. I'm working on an '87 Chevy Blazer. Dunno when it'll be done.

Also have a '46 U model Harley, the big flathead.

Can't agree with Walt. I live way out in the sticks (and have no intention of moving to town, ever) and can barely afford the week's gas as it is.

I'd like to see an alternate fuel that's affordable and clean. Of course, it won't happen until the last drop of oil has been burned, although I'm sure it will have been developed.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  22:25:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I'd like to see an alternate fuel that's affordable and clean. Of course, it won't happen until the last drop of oil has been burned, although I'm sure it will have been developed.

Unfortunatly I believe you are right about that. As they say, "If they can put a man on the moon, why can't they.......make a cheap fuel?".
I think there are many ways that will be and have been invented as an alternative to gas but like with marijuana, the powers that be are not going to let people use what they can easily make themselves or has not as much profit.
ps. Filthy.... A Harley, huh?Sigh! It's been a while....since I've ridden on one.
Where do you live?

Walt, you aren't Ray Bradbury in disguise are you? I commend you for not liking cars. I used to ride my bicycle all the time but then I moved to an area of Los Angeles where it wasn't practical to go that that way anymore. Do hope to get back to it....some day.
As far as how expensive gas should be, you have a nice idea but it is a dilemma. As you say, it won't stop people who can aford it. Trust me, I see those kinds of people all around here. Price means nothing to them. What we NEED is politicians to stop politicing and do what's best for everyone. Also, raising the tax and price of cigarettes hasn't stopped people from smoking, so I think it might be a fruitless effort to use the cost of something to get people to react in a certain way.
Go to Top of Page

riptor
Skeptic Friend

Germany
70 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  03:35:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit riptor's Homepage Send riptor a Private Message
Bicycle
And the train to get to my university, which is in another city

Ain't got a driving license anyways
And I'm German, and I think, we have a totally other culture when it comes to vehicles.

quote:

The buses at Munich airport actually use hydrogen for fuel since 2000.
And at many German stations you can get "bio-diesel", a fuel made of poppy oil.

Hail the Big bearded Jellyfish up in heaven above.
Edited by - riptor on 04/06/2003 03:36:20
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  03:59:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Well, livin' down here in the deep south, as I do, I was thinkin' ‘bout buyin' me one o' ‘dem new Dodge Ram 3500 with a full cab.

I dunno, maybe next year.

Even if I do, I ain't getting' rid o' ma' '70 Chevy stepside. She's got a custom 402, with a four barrel Quadrajet and a 400 tranny. Yeah, she's the hottest thing around. I call her Mabelle, and I keep her fixed up right nice, too. Got a big ole' Bud poster decoratin' her roof, fuzzy dice hangin' from da' mirror, a huler girl stuck on da' dash, an' ma' best Rebel flag a hangin' in the back winder, right behind da' gun rack. Got me a Winchester Super X2 12 gauge, an' a bran' spankin' new Remington 597 rim fire ‘dat I keep wit' me all da' time. I had a custom AR-15 in ‘dere, but ‘da po-leese made me take it out. I keep me a little Navy issue Colt under ‘da seat, too, but don't tell nobody. I'm a savin' dat fer when one o' dem boys from down Gibson way give me any trouble.

Now, ma' ole' lady, she got herself one o' ‘dem new Cadillac Escalade AWD's. Damn, ‘dat thing set me back more'n two years pay! But, she's worth it. Only problem's we gotta wait a few more years ta fix da ruf in ‘r doublewide. But, ‘dat's okay. Right now, it's only a leakin' in ‘da laboratory, as y'all call it up ‘dere in yankee country.

Now, ma' twins, ‘dey just turned five. I got li'l Ronnie, (I named him after da' bes' president 'dat ever lived), a new mini bke, an' ‘dat boy sho' can ride. Like a bat outta' hell, he is! Li'l Martha, (I named her after Martha Stewart ‘cause ‘dat lady sho' knows her way ‘round a kitchen), I got her a bran' new hat ta' wear ta' church on Sunday. She sho' looks purty.

Anyhow, we got us a few more cars in ‘da front yard, but ‘dey don't run no more. So, I guess that don't count. Well, ‘da Granada, it runs okay, but I been meanin' ta' buy some wheels fer her fer some time, now. Maybe, after I fix da' ruf on da' doublewide.

An', y'all ain't gotta worry ‘bout da' cost o' gasoline, neither. ‘R president, God bless his soul, he's kickin' some Iraqi tail right now. So's y'all ain't gotta worry ‘bout it. ‘Dem rag head, commie, terrorists ain't gonna hold ‘dis country hostage no more. We're gonna teach ‘em how ta' keep ‘dat ‘earl a flowin', an' learn ‘dem A-rabs ‘bout da' real Christian God.

Can I have an Amen, Brother?

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

The NetArchitect

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  12:31:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The NetArchitect's Homepage  Send The NetArchitect an AOL message  Send The NetArchitect an ICQ Message  Send The NetArchitect a Yahoo! Message Send The NetArchitect a Private Message
Something I have been wondering about for a while. I drive a vehicle classified as both an SUV and an RV, and i do not know why it is classified as such. It is a 1989 Toyota 4X4 5sp, 4cyl, running on ethanol & everclear. It gets like 48 - 56 on the hiway avg. and 28 - 32 in the city, as long as I am not running the A.C.

Yet when I try to explain to the dept. of motor vehicles it is not an suv, it is not a recreational vehicle, it is my sole means of transportation, they just shrug and open a book and point to the classification.

Are there others who have had their vehicles classified this way? Do they factor into the skewing of suv evidence?

-We don't need Alien Races to come from other planets to Steal Our Children - We have CPS for that and they wouldn't take too kindly to some Outsider cutting in on their Action-
Go to Top of Page

walt fristoe
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  14:48:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send walt fristoe a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Snake

Walt, you aren't Ray Bradbury in disguise are you? I commend you for not liking cars. I used to ride my bicycle all the time but then I moved to an area of Los Angeles where it wasn't practical to go that that way anymore. Do hope to get back to it....some day.
As far as how expensive gas should be, you have a nice idea but it is a dilemma. As you say, it won't stop people who can aford it. Trust me, I see those kinds of people all around here. Price means nothing to them. What we NEED is politicians to stop politicing and do what's best for everyone. Also, raising the tax and price of cigarettes hasn't stopped people from smoking, so I think it might be a fruitless effort to use the cost of something to get people to react in a certain way.

Hi Snake! Actally, I am Ray Bradbury! How'd you like The Martian Chronicles?

(Just kidding!)

I'm actually very anti-consumerism. I've arranged my life in such a way that I can get along without most of the stuff that other people feel they can't get along without. I make some sacrifices, but I like it.

"If God chose George Bus of all the people in the world, how good could God be?"
Bill Maher
Go to Top of Page

Franc28

29 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  17:06:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Franc28 a Private Message
In my case, it's Public Transportation.

You're an ass for ranting against SUVs, though. Some people desire security and space more than air purity, like it or not. Whenever they are misguided or not, ranting doesn't help anything.
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Spock
Skeptic Friend

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  17:36:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mr. Spock a Private Message
My ride is a '96 GMC Sonoma pickup with 108,000 miles, still going strong for the next 100,000 or so. I was never a truck person until I got one, but find it damn handy for hauling things, which is almost a must in the furniture business. If I had the money, I'd drive a small, fuel-efficient car most of the time and just keep the truck for the occaisions when I actually needed it, but I sure as hell can't afford a car payment right now.

I can't blame anyone for not liking the monster vehicles which are so popular now, but figure it will only be a matter of time before they go they are all piled high in the nation's junk yards like the gas-guzzlers that most people couldn't get rid of fast enough when the last energy crisis hit in the 70's. Until then, the best we can do is grin and bear it; the type of folks who drive those things only find it amusing when people criticize what they drive (and will probably only get a BIGGER one next time just to spite you--I can't prove it, but I'm sure that, in addition to the status that many enjoy by driving a big, expensive SUV, many own these vehicles to assauge a Napoleon complex--ever notice how many men of diminutive stature drive these things? My boss is a prime example).

"The amount of noise which anyone can bear stands in inverse proportion to his mental capacity." --Schopenhauer
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  20:55:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by walt fristoe

[quote]Originally posted by Snake

I'm actually very anti-consumerism. I've arranged my life in such a way that I can get along without most of the stuff that other people feel they can't get along without. I make some sacrifices, but I like it.

Brother, would we get along just fine. I too live with less. It's amazing the comments people make when they find out you don't have an automatic dishwasher. I refuse to have air conditioning but my 'roommate' is a wimp, so it looks like we may get that when we move but I'm NOT going to use it.
I have to wonder how Man survived all the thousands of years in the past but just in the last 100 has to have these things.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  23:37:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tim

Anyhow, we got us a few more cars in ‘da front yard, but ‘dey don't run no more. So, I guess that don't count.
Can I have an Amen, Brother?

What do you mean, they don't count Sounds like you have some wonderful, valuable art. Haven't any museums been by to inquire?
Go to Top of Page

Deborah
Skeptic Friend

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  00:02:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Deborah a Private Message
I drive a Toyota Matrix...does that mean I get to live?

I went there to buy the Toyota Hybrid, but the car was ugly and the resale value would have been horrible since the battery is only guaranteed for 10 yrs/100k miles and it cost $4500 to replace. I'm the type to drive a car for awhile so I was betting on having it for at least 6-7 years and there was no way I was going to waste my money on a car that would have virtually no resale value. On top of that...the state of Oregon is considering charging anyone who buys gas efficient vehicles more in registration fees and/or increased gas taxes to help pay for road improvements..because they don't pay enough to the state because they buy less gas..how do you like that! That pissed me off. I wrote a letter about it even though I didn't buy a hybrid.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  00:06:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Spock

I can't blame anyone for not liking the monster vehicles which are so popular now, but figure it will only be a matter of time before they go they are all piled high in the nation's junk yards like the gas-guzzlers that most people couldn't get rid of fast enough when the last energy crisis hit in the 70's.

Counting the days!
quote:

Until then, the best we can do is grin and bear it;

That's right. Grinning and laughing at those money wasting selfish idiots.
quote:

the type of folks who drive those things only find it amusing when people criticize what they drive (and will probably only get a BIGGER one next time just to spite you--I can't prove it, but I'm sure that, in addition to the status that many enjoy by driving a big, expensive SUV, many own these vehicles to assauge a Napoleon complex--ever notice how many men of diminutive stature drive these things? My boss is a prime example).

I don't see many man driving them but you have a point there. The women that do, I'm sure must feel inferior, otherwise why would they drive such an unsafe thing, other than to show off.
As for spite, LOL......good, let them waste their money buying more of them. Actually that's why I make a bigger deal than necessary about people smoking too. I know they will light up more, there by moving one step closer and sooner to their death. Just as anyone driving an suv is driving into danger. At the very least paying more tax, he heh. Let them try to buy one in spite, while I have the last laugh.

Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  00:13:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by riptor

Bicycle
And the train to get to my university, which is in another city

Ain't got a driving license anyways
And I'm German, and I think, we have a totally other culture when it comes to vehicles.

You are right about different cultures. I don't know about Germany but in England they have the best transportation system. I think it must be that way in most of Europe because the cities are so old, built before automobiles were invented.
In America there was wide open space. There for the messing up, easy to build freeway upon freeway.

quote:
And at many German stations you can get "bio-diesel", a fuel made of poppy oil.

Poppy oil! That's so cool. I guess it will never happen here in the USA. The stupid government is against drugs so we could never grow or import Opium.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  00:16:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Franc28

In my case, it's Public Transportation.

You're an ass

IF, you are saying that to me, don't you mean asp?
I'm a snake, not a donkey.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.