Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

bjones
Skeptic Friend

Australia
82 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2001 :  02:18:46  Show Profile Send bjones a Private Message
Poll Question:
You have probably have had several of these polls posted, but I am just interested to know your thoughts away from all that Hollywood movie hype.

Results:

Poll Status: Locked  »»   Total Votes: 0 counted  »»   Last Vote: never 

Rift
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2001 :  03:01:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rift a Private Message
I voted they exist but haven't visted earth, but I'm leaning towards the idea that intelligent life that wants contact is far rarer then what is normally thought. We may be the first, and only one in the galaxy. Which would explain the Fermi Paradox. However I feel that, although rare, there is probably a handful in the galaxy.

"Goddammit! The world is just filling up with more and more idiots! And the computer is giving them access to the world! They're
spreading their stupidity! At least they were contained before--now they're on the loose everywhere!"?
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2001 :  12:55:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
I voted that aliens existed but would not ever visit Earth. The distances are tremendous, and living in space is hazardous for your health.

I am one of those obnoxious people who believe that robots should be used exclusively for studying and visiting the nearer portions of *The Galaxy* (a/k/a *The Milky Way*). After all, our first probes have not yet left the Solar influence (not yet reached the Heliopause). Humans have big imaginations, but seldom face the actual impossibilities of deep space travel.

On the other hand, who would want hungry aliens visiting us here on Earth. For them, we would all be considered as food!

Yummy!

ljbrs

Perfection Is a State of Growth...
Go to Top of Page

comradebillyboy
Skeptic Friend

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2001 :  20:22:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send comradebillyboy a Private Message
yes they exist and have abducted many humans. i know because i read about these events in the weekly world news. i have seen authentic looking pictures of space aleins shaking hands with bill clinton.

comrade billyboy
Go to Top of Page

Dog_Ed
Skeptic Friend

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2001 :  22:33:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dog_Ed's Homepage Send Dog_Ed a Private Message
Maybe the combination of rapid technological progress during the last couple of centuries and the popularity of science fiction/fantasy in the latter half of the 20th century has made impossible feats seem possible. Often when I say something like "The laws of the Universe may simply not allow rapid interstellar travel" someone pipes up with "They said heavier-than-air flying machines were impossible, too!" or "Yeah, well, nobody ever thought we'd break the sound barrier!"

But those comparisons may not be valid. I think physics and astrophysics may finally be showing us natural limits which technology cannot overcome. If this is the case, and interstellar travel takes centuries in an immense self-supporting city-spaceship, then we shouldn't expect to see aliens zipping around Earth any time soon.

"Even Einstein put his foot in it sometimes"
Go to Top of Page

bestonnet_00
Skeptic Friend

Australia
358 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2001 :  23:34:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send bestonnet_00 an ICQ Message  Send bestonnet_00 a Yahoo! Message
We could have built cities in space with 70's technology.

Then by 2050 we could have already sent manned spacecraft to other stars. The technology would probably be avilable by then for a fast (~15 year one way) trip to Alpha Centauri. Of course we need to have a lot of space infrastructure present to do that.

Radioactive GM Crops.

Slightly above background.

Safe to eat.

But no activist would dare rip it out.

As they think it gives them cancer.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2001 :  00:12:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

You have probably have had several of these polls posted, but I am just interested to know your thoughts away from all that Hollywood movie hype.

Sorry but I can not give you an answer that does not involve Hollywood.
Did you see 'The King and I'?
I'm married to an alien, he's from Thailand.
Never been abducted by him but gee, now I'm getting turned on by the thought.
nlm

Rap Crap is to music what Paint by Numbers is to art.
Go to Top of Page

Kaptain K

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2001 :  06:06:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Kaptain K a Private Message
I voted "Yes they do exist, but talk of them visiting Earth is nonsense." But, Ithink "nonsense" is too strong a word. "Highly improbable" would be closer to what I bellieve. It is my firm belief that if and when we are visited, there will be NO DOUBT in anybody's mind. Like the ships in "Independence Day".
Go to Top of Page

marvin
Skeptic Friend

77 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2001 :  08:11:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send marvin a Private Message
Having recently watched ‘Battle Bots' on the comedy channel, I would postulate that within one hundred years robots will be used in warfare, that is robotic paratroopers. Take the Persian Gulf War for example, no need to send so many humans send robots or robotic soldiers. A fully automated nuclear submarine on the ocean floor would be a very good deterrent to nuclear war. Robotic UN peacekeepers could police the world, upholding truth justice and the American way without risking one American life.

I my opinion, a la von Neumann, earth's first contact will be with self-replicating robots, they're cheap, low maintenance, and if programmed properly have the superior qualities necessary for a long journey through space. They, the self-replicating machines, should be able to take a planet similar to Mars and colonize it in a few hundred years, that is make it capable of supporting life, as we know it, without biting insects, parasites, viruses, bad bacteria, rats, roaches, spiders, snakes, and other varmints.
Go to Top of Page

Mespo_man
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2001 :  10:10:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mespo_man a Private Message
My vote was for the "Yes they exist, but only traveled ALL THE WAY across the galaxy to make crop circles in England and then went ALL THE WAY home again."

I simply figure that if Homo Sapiens exists on the 3rd rock from the Sun, then there's got to be someone else out there. But I disagree with Kaptain K about the type of vessel they'll use for visiting. Given a fixed construction budget, I'd opt for hollowing out an asteroid with low-tech mining equipment rather than smelting metals to fashion an exoskeleton for a spaceship. An asteroid with a propulsion system attached to it can absorb a tremendous amount of nicks and dings from galactic space travel without a dreaded hull breech.
Besides, an aster-ship would maintain it's resale value much better.
"So, what will you give me in trade for the Millenium Falcon, Hans?"

P.S. to marvin: If you think robotic peace keepers are the wave of the future, get yourself a video copy of "Colossus, The Forbin Project (Universal Pictures - 1970)"

"There IS another system"

(:raig
Go to Top of Page

bestonnet_00
Skeptic Friend

Australia
358 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2001 :  00:53:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send bestonnet_00 an ICQ Message  Send bestonnet_00 a Yahoo! Message
I've often wanted to have my own robotic army. Do what people have tried for centuries to do and take over the world.

Hopefully when those nations I want to take over realise how many robots I can build they will just surrender quickly so their troops don't have to die (if they had any intelligence they would).

All the robots would be EMP resistant.

What is currently the american way would cease very quickly under me (and for the better).

Radioactive GM Crops.

Slightly above background.

Safe to eat.

But no activist would dare rip it out.

As they think it gives them cancer.
Go to Top of Page

Mespo_man
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2001 :  06:03:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mespo_man a Private Message
quote:
All the robots would be EMP resistant.

Ahhhh, ya lame-brain! *smack, smack* All ya hafta do is hide in the bushes and tie their shoe laces together. NOW S-P-R-E-A-D OUT! nyuk-nyuk

(:raig
Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2001 :  08:59:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
What kind of alien life? Simple or complex? I'd say it's MTL that there's plenty of simple alien life out there, but not a whole lot of complex life. Also, that if anyone thinks that we are the only life in the universe, boy, are they arrogant or what? The universe is just too damn big for this planet to be the only one with life on it. Perhaps there is life, but not as we know it. Could be life based around the neutron atom, like we're based around the carbon atom. We won't find out till we get there...

The way I see it, christians are godless too...they just don't know it yet.

Edited by - James on 09/06/2001 09:01:44
Go to Top of Page

Zandermann
Skeptic Friend

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2001 :  17:08:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Zandermann an AOL message Send Zandermann a Private Message
quote:
... I'd say it's MTL that there's plenty of simple alien life out there, but not a whole lot of complex life. ...
Hey James, have you read Rare Earth yet?
Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2001 :  17:44:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
quote:
Hey James, have you read Rare Earth yet?

Never heard of it. Would it be at Barnes & Noble or B. Dalton Booksellers? BTW, who's it by?

The way I see it, christians are godless too...they just don't know it yet.
Go to Top of Page

Zandermann
Skeptic Friend

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2001 :  17:54:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Zandermann an AOL message Send Zandermann a Private Message
Rare Earth should be at both places; it's still relatively new (published in 2000 [spring?]). If the outlets near you aren't very large, you might want to call ahead first...or you could check at the local library. Authors are Peter Ward and Donald Brownlee (geologist and astronomy professor).

"If in the last few years you haven't discarded a major opinion or acquired a new one, check your pulse. You may be dead."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.