Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rickm
Skeptic Friend

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2001 :  20:55:45  Show Profile Send rickm a Private Message
Unplug your waffle irons disconnect your fax machines. This was brought up on The Learning Channel regarding ancient prophecies, they give spots for people to tell of forthcoming disaster. Why do they allow people to scare gullable people. I thought they were the "Learning" channel. The Mayans predict dec 12 2012 to be the start of the end. OH NO!! Help me. get a grip. Make them stop!

"What would chairs look like if our knees bent the other way"

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2001 :  22:32:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
Oh, damnit, rickm, you beat me to it. If only I hadn't taken that nap...

Anyway, for those of you with American cable(don't know if TLC is broadcast outside of US), the show will be rebroadcast tonight at 12 AM EDT. And again whenever they feel like it.

Latest headlines from Weekly World News:

America's Secret Epidemic-
At least 25 million people have Lyme disease and may not know it!

Badgers Will Inherit The Earth-
Badgers will inherit the Earth, say Global warming experts.

"When nine hundred years old you reach, look as good you will not." -Master Yoda
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2001 :  14:58:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/9941/index.html

A pretty complete list of folks I've love to sucker into a nice game of poker.
Lisa

Chaos...Confusion...Destruction...My Work Here Is Done
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2001 :  15:06:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
I am making sure that I have no appointments past Dec. 12, 2012.....just in case mind you

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2001 :  21:17:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
And now, from Sun magazine, even more "Predictions":(With my comments below each in italics)

A leak at a Russian nuclear power plant blankets half that country with radioactive waste. Within months, millions are grossly deformed, transformed into hideous beasts who run amok and cannibalize more than 170,000 innocent people
While I think it's possible for another Chernobyl to happen in Russia, I highly doubt this'll happen as said.

A fad called brain piercing sweeps the U.S. Teens wear huge rings in their skulls that pass through their temples into the brain
Piercing at it's worst or the quickest fad ever? You decide.

The state of California secedes from the Union and puts up a barbed-wire fence around its entire perimeter.
I knew they had problems wit illegal aliens, but this is ridiculous.

A bill to reinstate Prohibition is railroaded through Congress by a special-interest group calling itself Grieving Families of Drunk-Driving Victims. By February 2002, anyone caught drinking alcohol will face up to a year in prison.
They'd better move fast if they want it to be in effect by the beginning of next year. Watch out, Lisa and Trish.

A live dinosaur is captured in the dense Canadian wilderness north of Vancouver. One added mystery: The creature had only three legs.
Did they check to see if the missing leg was probably torn off in a fight or the dino was born deformed? No.

Four hundred well-meaning American peace activists skydive from planes over China dressed as clowns. Their intended mission: "To bring world peace through the universal language of laughter." Unfortinately, they are mowed down by artillery fire.
IMO, not a big lose. Apparently, laughter doesn't translate too well into Chinese.

A fire sweeps through the state of South Dakota, and when the smoke clears, the four presidents' faces etched into Mount Rushmore are transformed into lookalikes of the Beatles.
Lisa, you better fire-proof your home to really high temps.

Saddam Hussein chokes to death on a candy bar.
One can wish...

Microsoft mogul Bill Gates disappears for nine days while working on a top-secret project reputed to involve a time travel software program.
Again, one can wish...

Mexico declares war on the United States. The fighting is over in less than a day and a half and the entire country is annexed into the state of Texas.
Apparently, Texas will regain its rule as being the biggest state in the Union. And prepare to live in Acapulco, Texas. Yeah-hoo!

A mysterious "happy virus" sweeps through the state of South Dakota. Its symptoms include a slight cough, minor fatigue and an overwhelming sense of peace and well-being.
Lisa, watch out!

"When nine hundred years old you reach, look as good you will not." -Master Yoda
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2001 :  23:13:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
quote:

A bill to reinstate Prohibition is railroaded through Congress by a special-interest group calling itself Grieving Families of Drunk-Driving Victims. By February 2002, anyone caught drinking alcohol will face up to a year in prison.
They'd better move fast if they want it to be in effect by the beginning of next year. Watch out, Lisa and Trish.

Thanks, I'll start stockpiling.
quote:

A fire sweeps through the state of South Dakota, and when the smoke clears, the four presidents' faces etched into Mount Rushmore are transformed into lookalikes of the Beatles.

Check out our recent weather forecasts. This place is starting to look like a freakin rain forest. We've change the old song to "where the deer and the antelope burp and waddle a lot"

quote:

A mysterious "happy virus" sweeps through the state of South Dakota. Its symptoms include a slight cough, minor fatigue and an overwhelming sense of peace and well-being.
Lisa, watch out!

See above comment regarding beer. The slight cough is actually muffled laughter. This started when we heard some folks in North Dakota want to change the state's name. W're all in favor of "Colder than South Dakota".
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

Zandermann
Skeptic Friend

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2001 :  23:27:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Zandermann an AOL message Send Zandermann a Private Message
......this all makes me wonder: what does this 'psychic' (or conglomerate thereof) have against South Dakota?

Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2001 :  00:11:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
quote:

......this all makes me wonder: what does this 'psychic' (or conglomerate thereof) have against South Dakota?

Maybe they figure they're safe. Who knows what goes on in South Dakota anyway? Including the people who are here? Hmmm, pass me a beer.
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

Marc_a_b
Skeptic Friend

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2001 :  07:21:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Marc_a_b an AOL message Send Marc_a_b a Private Message
quote:

A fad called brain piercing sweeps the U.S. Teens wear huge rings in their skulls that pass through their temples into the brain
Piercing at it's worst or the quickest fad ever? You decide.

Ooooohhhh, can I drag my feet over a shag carpet and touch it?

quote:

The state of California secedes from the Union and puts up a barbed-wire fence around its entire perimeter.
I knew they had problems wit illegal aliens, but this is ridiculous.

are you sure we arn't just trying to get rid of california?

quote:

A live dinosaur is captured in the dense Canadian wilderness north of Vancouver. One added mystery: The creature had only three legs.
Did they check to see if the missing leg was probably torn off in a fight or the dino was born deformed? No.

naaa, Dr. Dino was demonstrating his technique for ripping the arms off a tyranosaurus

quote:

Four hundred well-meaning American peace activists skydive from planes over China dressed as clowns. Their intended mission: "To bring world peace through the universal language of laughter." Unfortinately, they are mowed down by artillery fire.
IMO, not a big lose. Apparently, laughter doesn't translate too well into Chinese.

don't know about you, but that would make me laugh

quote:

Microsoft mogul Bill Gates disappears for nine days while working on a top-secret project reputed to involve a time travel software program.
Again, one can wish...

only problem is a slight bug that warps boot time to infinity. And we're still not sure what happens when you get the blue screen of eternity

quote:

Mexico declares war on the United States. The fighting is over in less than a day and a half and the entire country is annexed into the state of Texas.
Apparently, Texas will regain its rule as being the biggest state in the Union. And prepare to live in Acapulco, Texas. Yeah-hoo!

It's a plot!! The illegal immigrants staged the whole thing so Texas would anex them! My god, this is the biggest war scam since the war with the Duchy of Grand Fenwick!

quote:

Lisa, watch out!

strangly, the center for disease control is not very concerned. Downright mellow actualy.

Go to Top of Page

rickm
Skeptic Friend

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2001 :  10:01:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send rickm a Private Message
"And now, from Sun magazine, even more "Predictions""

Surely your not suggesting that Sun magasine is all lies. These articles are written by highly educated journalists of the elite kind, therefore must be true. Talking bad about the sun would be like a Christian speaking ill of the bible. I was forced to put black magic marker streaks on my monitor to hide your comments. As I type I am wearing my tinfoil hat to prevent my thoughts from being tapped into by these psychics, so I will be impervious to these catastrophes. I suggest from now on while posting to this board we all wear a tinfoil hat.

Go to Top of Page

rickm
Skeptic Friend

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2001 :  10:05:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send rickm a Private Message
If you noticed the time of my last post you will see that from now on I will only post anything of great importance in binary time to further protect myself.

Edited by - rickm on 07/22/2001 10:07:08
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2001 :  15:09:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
quote:
See above comment regarding beer. The slight cough is actually muffled laughter. This started when we heard some folks in North Dakota want to change the state's name. W're all in favor of "Colder than South Dakota".

I think that many want the name changed to "I'm with stupid" and will include a finger pointing south.

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2001 :  16:10:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
quote:

I think that many want the name changed to "I'm with stupid" and will include a finger pointing south.

Wouldn't work. We outnumber them.
Hmmm, just had a mental picture of someone wearing a T-shirt with "I'm with stupid" pointing "south". Now, if a guy was wearing this...never mind, let's not go there.
My favorite T-shirt: "The Boat Sank. Get Over It".
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2001 :  08:34:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
I'm surprised that no one commented on the Saddam Hussein one or the Russian nuclear meltdown. Could it be that we might actually want these things to happen???? Horror upon horrors!! Shame on you people! Just kidding.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Check out our recent weather forecasts. This place is starting to look like a freakin rain forest. We've change the old song to "where the deer and the antelope burp and waddle a lot"

ROTFLMAO

Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Skeptic Friend

Canada
84 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2001 :  09:09:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kristin's Homepage Send Kristin a Private Message
quote:

Hmmm, just had a mental picture of someone wearing a T-shirt with "I'm with stupid" pointing "south". Now, if a guy was wearing this...never mind, let's not go there.

Hmm.. I was working as a tourism guide a few years ago. Strangest shirt of that summer : 'Tickle _this_ elmo' with an arrow pointing south. *shudder*

Good judgement comes from experience: experience comes from bad judgement.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2001 :  10:46:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

The slight cough is actually muffled laughter. This started when we heard some folks in North Dakota want to change the state's name. W're all in favor of "Colder than South Dakota".
Lisa

Sarcasm run amok or stupidity.

Two true stories.

Canada wanted to split the Nothwest Territory into two provedences. Asked for suggestions on how to name it. Massive write in campaign launched which was successful. The new name, "Bob". Canadian government listens well to sarcasm and abandons split.

In Illinois, two small towns of Sandwich and Plano decide to incorporate a new town between them. The name, "Baloney". So it could be Plano Baloney Sandwich. Someone has too much time on their hands. This died horribly and painfully when it hit the press.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds.