Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  09:06:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by verlch

quote:
On a more serious note Verlch I would suggest that you study some aspect of science from the scientific point of view until you understand it thoroughly because it would open up a whole new and wonderful world to you.
Unfortunately others have suggested this as well and you've cast a blind eye upon it.

The last thing I need to do is to crack open a diet Coke,

I agree, diet Coke kinda sucks.

quote:
...turn on PBS. Then listen to some numb skull telling me 4 score and 280 billion years ago, dinosaurs roamed the bush! I wanna watch a show about something interesting! I'm a creationist for funcks sake....I don't wanna open N G and have Star Girl blabing and nagging me about how evolution is so "great"! I don't care, I don't wanna hear what some 'man of science' thinks happened 12 trillion years ago! Keep your faith based religion to yourselves and those who think like you!

Wonderful. Here you are, religious and all, complaining about other people who are religious even when they're not. Surely you realize the irony?
Oh and one more thing... what else is a religion if not faith based?

quote:
I don't need my children studying book after book of fiction and dribble!

Glad to hear you're not going to indoctrinate them with religion!

quote:
And I will do the same, I will tell people whom want to hear about God, not you. Your ears are closed and you might be the same 'people' that want to burn the bible out of humanity.

Seems like humanity is out of the Bible instead... and out of lots of people who use it as a powertool.

quote:
I, as of a few days ago, haven't heard of anybody that wants to burn darwins, 'the origins of goofyasses'. Correct me if I'm wrong. As I'm sure the Alpha males in here will.

I am quite sure people wish to burn it. Fanatics are sometimes eager to do such silly things.

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  09:09:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

As an official administrative warning: this thread will be closed tomorrow, sometime in the morning or afternoon, Eastern U.S. Time. A new, special thread will be opened at the same time, to partially compensate for this thread's closure. A link to the new thread will be posted in the final message in this thread.

The new thread will not be the free-for-all that this one has been, so fair warning has been given to those who'd like to get a final word in on the subjects (the multitude of them) presented here.

So, for whom will it be open?

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  11:10:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
I agree that Verlch is pulling our collective legs.

When it was suggested he study science, his reply was he didn't want to spend alot of time watching PBS.

He said he does accept the fact that elephants evolved from Mammoths 485 million years ago.

The guy is pretty funny. The scary part is even though he is a caricature, he is not that far off from some of the fundies that have graced this forum.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Edited by - furshur on 05/27/2004 14:45:16
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  12:14:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
In a previous post, I proposed that he was a troll. That was about two thirds tongue-in-cheek. I wanted to see what reaction I'd get, as well as give Dave W a mild tweak. Alas, verlch no longer responds to me, it seems. Dunno why.

Now I'll come right out and say it, no tongues, no cheeks: the guy's a troll.

To me, a troll is someone who intentionally disrupts the conversation, regardless if he be theist or atheist, scammer or skeptic. Verlch has been nothing but disruptive from his Op in this thread. We've all called him on all of his silly assertions and he has responded only with more silly assertions and called it 'debate'. That my friends, is not debate, it's bullshit. Trolling.

The administration in it's wisdom, has offered verlch a way out the cyber predicament he has blathered himself into by shutting down this thread (what's the hold-up,guys?) and starting another, tighter moderated (hate that), in it's place. Verlch has stated, and taking all into consideration, I'll believe it when I see it, that he will not be a part of it. A pity really, from my point of view.

Ya see, a discussion with some people is like wrestling a pig in the mud. Both get dirty and covered with slops, but the pig enjoys it.

I am that pig.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  12:33:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Everything I have presented have been labeled lies by the priesthood of Evolution! Yet Mr's. Evolution have not presented me WITH A SINGLE missing link!!! Other than the mammoth/elephant connection(485 million years ago, mind you!) !
Since you don't read scientiffically oriented web-pages, I must conclude that the number 485 million years ago comes from what a Creationist Website say about ToE. In that case, I've got a newsflash for you: You have been lied to by other creationists! According to the fossil records (interpreted by evolutionists) large mammals didn't emerge until after 65 million years ago.

quote:

I peronally feel really swell thinking I DECSENDED FROM A MONKEY!

Yet another misrepresentation about evolution. You keep determined not to learn anything from us.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  15:48:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I peronally feel really swell thinking I DECSENDED FROM A MONKEY!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet another misrepresentation about evolution. You keep determined not to learn anything from us.

Yes, and I find it funny everytime I hear it. This statement by fundie creationists is typical of ALL their arguments against evolution. (the the critical thinkers among us, it's called aStraw Man Fallacy) They take a point and misrepresent it then cite it as evidence for their side of the argument.

In case you were wondering Verlch, ToE does not in any way suggest that humans evolved FROM monkeys. Instead, it claims that we have a common ancestor from wich we both evolved.

Anyway.... after a short time in these forums I am beginning to agree with filthy.... Verlch is a troll.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Stargirl
Skeptic Friend

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  17:04:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Stargirl a Private Message
quote:

The last thing I need to do is to crack open a diet Coke, turn on PBS. Then listen to some numb skull telling me 4 score and 280 billion years ago, dinosaurs roamed the bush! I wanna watch a show about something interesting! I'm a creationist for funcks sake....I don't wanna open N G and have Star Girl blabing and nagging me about how evolution is so "great"! I don't care, I don't wanna hear what some 'man of science' thinks happened 12 trillion years ago! Keep your faith based religion to yourselves and those who think like you! I don't need my children studying book after book of fiction and dribble! And I will do the same, I will tell people whom want to hear about God, not you. Your ears are closed and you might be the same 'people' that want to burn the bible out of humanity. I, as of a few days ago, haven't heard of anybody that wants to burn darwins, 'the origins of goofyasses'. Correct me if I'm wrong. As I'm sure the Alpha males in here will.

That pretty much says it all folks.
Everyone here knows that to learn real science you have to put some effort into it and Verlch isn't willing to do that.
Even as wishy-washy as the many of the science shows on PBS and Discover have become recently if Verlch isn't willing to watch them he's a lost cause.
Verlch says he is a contractor though he didn't say if that was a general or specialty contractor.
And that makes me curious about something.
Verlch since you have such an antipathy toward evolution does that extend to your construction practices as well?
Do you use the same construction techniques and material that you learned to use when you entered the trade?
Or have you adapted/evolved your techniques and material to include such things as engineered limber and ground fault interrupters?
Certainly you would never use a laser level that spits out the same red light as the eye of the devil?
I can't imagine that you use the construction techniques practiced and material used two thousand years ago.
Or am I wrong about that?

If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him - Voltaire
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  17:45:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Who knows what might be the truth. Verlch has put down so much mindless blather that it's all but impossible to sort it all out.

Perhaps he actually is a general contractor, but I'd have to see some of his work before I'd hire him (or anybody else, for that matter. I too, have worked construction). But I will give him the benefit of a considerable doubt on it, although I would feel a bit more comfortable if he would demonstrate to me how to figure a set of jack rafters using the tables on a frame & rafter square (once the hip or valley rafter which also takes a bit of figgerin', is in, you can do it quickly and accuratly, face cuts and all, without ever breaking out the tape). Basic geometry made easy for dummies like me.

In any event, I'm wondering if he will return. I still want some reference and documentation for good ol' number Forty and Four:

“Carbon dating is so error-prone that it is fair to call it fiction.”

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  18:41:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Cma, I am about to accuse you of spamming.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  18:51:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
I have deleted cma's post. You can find it in General Discussion...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  19:23:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

I have deleted cma's post. You can find it in General Discussion...

I'd asked Dave to do it in another thread. When they thankfully disappeared, I thought he'd done it.

So, a belated, "Thanks!" Spam bugs hell out of me.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  19:23:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Offical Moderation: This thread is closed. Please see this thread for its new incarnation.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.