Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  22:14:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil
On the other hand, it was a man who took you to the cleaners in a business deal that I know about. Perhaps you could say that that man was acting like a woman since woman (the ones you don't personally know anyway) are all bad. It never seems to occur to you that there are a few bad apples from both genders. And lots of really good apples too, again, from both genders. Bigotry is such an ugly thing. It serves only to perpetuate baseless hatred and never ever allows for productive conflict resolution.

Your continuing misogyny is unfortunate. I would like to see you back up this statement. "Usually it's the woman who, complains about her partner and is so demanding and tries to bleed a man dry." While you can tell me that you are initialed to your opinion, and that may be true, that will never demonstrate that the above quote has any merit. Back it up (you can't) or all we have is you happily showing us that you are a bigot, unwilling to self subject yourself to a bit of critical thinking...

Don't know why, Kil, you are obsessed with that one partictular part of my life. Although I thank you for saying you will help me with it.
Should I tell you about this one stock I own that the company is now bankrupt? Or a land deal long ago that was not to my advantage, let's just say. Or the many other times in my life that I made a wrong choice?
The KEY WORD being CHOICE.
If you had used the word prejudges that might have been better but I'm not. I KNOW what they are like.
My asshole sister gave me no choice when she ripped off me and my son. And how dare anyone tell me who I can or cannot hate because of my own expierences. If you had lived with the females in my life growing up, maybe you'd have a different view too. I know what I've seen and it's women taking advantage of men or being nasty and mean.
You like 'em, you can have 'em. Just don't expect me to appreciate them.
Oh and as for backing up that statement, why don't you check divorce records and see who has to pays the most. (I don't mean only money) No, I haven't, but I'd be willing to bet men get the fuzzy end more often. It's what I see. Women think because they have kids and do a little house work that's so difficult. My father cooked and took care of us and never complained. My mother had a job outside the home too as well as whatever she did in the house but all I ever heard was her bitching. Same for my uncles, they were always being henpecked when all I saw was kind and gentle men. Well, all except for my Irish uncle who drank a lot. He was a jerk BUT his wife, my mothers sister was a nag anyway.....LOL, maybe that's why he drank.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  06:07:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Woody wrote:
quote:
If you had used the word prejudges that might have been better but I'm not. I KNOW what they are like.
No, the proper word for that is, indeed, prejudice. You've pre-judged women as a group based upon your experiences with just a few of them. This is the "hasty generalization" fallacy in action.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  09:44:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Woody wrote:
quote:
No, the proper word for that is, indeed, prejudice. You've pre-judged women as a group based upon your experiences with just a few of them. This is the "hasty generalization" fallacy in action.

Whoa. And I thought my attitude about women sucked.

Given Woody's premise, I can absolutely say that women are most comfortable with people that abuse them. Therefore, they must prefer it. (I've dated/married 7 like this)

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  12:05:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
I am really surprised by the amount of anti-woman ranting on this site.

It is nice to see that fundamental christian men and skeptical athiest men can at least agree on something.

Jeez?!?

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  20:21:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Actually, furshur, as far as I can tell, not a single skeptical atheist man has written anything which is seriously anti-woman in this thread.

Confusing? You bet.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2004 :  06:10:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur

I am really surprised by the amount of anti-woman ranting on this site.

It is nice to see that fundamental christian men and skeptical athiest men can at least agree on something.

Jeez?!?

I was trying to illustrate precisely how invalid Woody's arguementation is using examples from my own life. I don't actually BELIEVE the assertion is valid due to the inherent hasty generalization fallacy. A more representative assertion would be that I usually pick the battered self esteem women to date/marry in order to "save" them.

It's a much more defendable assertation.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2004 :  10:04:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
Actually, furshur, as far as I can tell, not a single skeptical atheist man has written anything which is seriously anti-woman in this thread.

Oh.... well then, never mind.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2004 :  20:54:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Woody wrote:
quote:

You don't seem to understand at all.
No point in trying to explain further to people who are narrow minded and don't want to listen. They'll never understand.
Thank you anyway.

www.Carabao.net
As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.
Mick Shrimpton
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2004 :  23:00:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Woody wrote:
quote:
You don't seem to understand at all.
No point in trying to explain further to people who are narrow minded and don't want to listen.
Actually, I think I understand pretty well, as a pattern is beginning to show itself. You make broad statements which are (at best) badly worded, and then you take offense when people read meanings into your pronouncements which you, perhaps, didn't intend. Rather than correct people's misapprehensions, you insult people, back-pedal from your initial assertions, and/or simply flee the forums for a while. After a self-imposed "cooling off period," you come back and eventually do it all again.

Instead, you could just provide the requested support for "Usually it's the woman who, complains about her partner and is so demanding and tries to bleed a man dry." If you can provide evidence which does show that assertion to be true, perhaps I will understand better. But my mind won't be broadened at all if you just tell me that I "don't want to listen."

But that's another habit of yours, isn't it? On several occassions, you have told me that I don't want to talk to you. In every case, my reluctance to converse with you has been a real surprise to me. I've only known two other women who said such things, and they were both neurotic attention whores who informed me of my alleged desire to avoid them solely to prompt me to reassure them that I really did want to interact with them.

I'm far too old and too busy to play such games with drama queens anymore, so you're right: I don't want to listen. TTFN.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  12:04:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
I was always carefully selected the men I dated. Yes, I SELECTED them. I had a wonderful and darling father as a good example. Therefore, I grew up with a liking for kind and intelligent men. I am now a widow, but my beautiful memories of my wonderful late husband are still with me. Perhaps the men who have difficulties with women should have permitted the women to select them. Of course, the men would have the final choice, but the choices would already be possibly successful. Women know what kind of male behavior they can stand. So, let the women chase you and see how that turns out. Of course, put yourself in a position where nice women are in good supply.

Oh, well, just a thought. Men often make lousy choices where women are concerned. They go for "beauty" where "behavior" is most important. Of course, women often make the same lousy choices which can lead to disastrous interpersonal relationships.

ljbrs

"Innumerable suns exist; innumerable earths revolve about these suns in a manner similar to the way the seven planets revolve around our sun. Living beings inhabit these worlds."
Giordano Bruno
(Burned at the stake by the Roman Catholic Church Inquisition in 1600)
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  02:41:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
quote:
Posted by ljbrs
Oh, well, just a thought. Men often make lousy choices where women are concerned. They go for "beauty" where "behavior" is most important. Of course, women often make the same lousy choices which can lead to disastrous interpersonal relationships.

I agree that men look for physical beauty first, Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on your point of view), women are no different, as you pointed out. I don't know how many times I've had women tell me how they wish they could find a "really nice guy." That "really nice guy" will often be sitting on the bar stool right next to her. He is ignored. Then, the biggest asshole around walks up, says something absolutely idiotic, smiles like Tom Cruise and takes her out to the parking lot.

She spends the next two weeks pacing with the phone in her hand before she cries it off. Then, she repeats the whole ordeal all over again with some other asshole.

The nice guy is still sitting on his barstool wondering what he's doing wrong.

Damn, I'm glad I'm not young and single!

As for the legality of putting a Voodoo curse on someone, I don't worry about that. I got me a Mojo Hand, St. John the Conquerer Root and a Gris Gris Bag. You can't be too careful down here in the swamps. This is afterall Voodoo country...

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.